Komplete 5/6/7 80GBs samples and hardly any guitar sounds. What's up with that?

SmooveMode

OK, When I bought Komplete 5 it had about 8 guitar sounds in the Band folder. I do RnB, so of that 8 sounds, maybe I can use one. Komplete 6...same things Komplete 7 added great Scarbee basses, but no guitars. All these "fancy" sounds and no freakin' bread and butter muted, plucked or funk guitars. Wassup wit that??? I would have thought, by now they would have had an electric guitar plugin.

What do you fellas think?

its really hard to do a great guitar in a keyboard instrument maybe they just went with what they knew would make them look really good. There are tons of guitar vsts out there luckily

its really hard to do a great guitar in a keyboard instrument maybe they just went with what they knew would make them look really good. There are tons of guitar vsts out there luckily

I agree, there are a lot of good guitar VSTs. However, you would think that NI would have just added some samples to their collection.

Kontakt is full of guitars, then they got Guitar Rig, so I'd think they plan for you to hook up a real guitar. They also have expansions for Kontakt with heavy focus on guitar.

OK, When I bought Komplete 5 it had about 8 guitar sounds in the Band folder. I do RnB, so of that 8 sounds, maybe I can use one. Komplete 6...same things Komplete 7 added great Scarbee basses, but no guitars. All these "fancy" sounds and no freakin' bread and butter muted, plucked or funk guitars. Wassup wit that??? I would have thought, by now they would have had an electric guitar plugin.

What do you fellas think?

It's not how Native Instruments does business. Their model is "quantity", not quality. When you want quality instruments, go for the ones that specialize in a specific type of instrument. Avoid the ones that spend more effort on the number of gigs rather than the quality and "playability" of a single instrument. Most of the popular virtual instrument content providers work with the same model as Native Instruments. NI is interesting because they make the sampling engine which is capable of very impressive things, yet they themselves package it with trash instruments.

Kontakt is full of guitars, then they got Guitar Rig, so I'd think they plan for you to hook up a real guitar. They also have expansions for Kontakt with heavy focus on guitar.

I only saw two guitar expansions on the website. One was rammfire and the other one was massive threat. I'm not looking for distortion. I"m looking for funky, jazzy and RnB type guitar riffs. I agree that guitar rig can be used to tailor the effects. But, it would be nice if they had a more comprehensive collection of NON-Rock N Roll Guitars. If I'm missing something please point me in the right direction.

^^^I only use Kontakt on other people's setups(haven't upgraded since 2), but I will over stress guitar rig is going to have to be incorporated. Kontakt has dry guitars, you have to add effects by routing them thru guitar rig. It makes those dry guitars into alot of amazing sounds. More authentic Rock, Funk and Jazz can be made from routing those patches thru effects than you'd get out of most instrument patches from libraries with tons of guitars that have already been processed.

I"m looking for funky, jazzy and RnB type guitar riffs.

i feel your pain...

there are not too many funky, jazzy and RnB type guitar riffs plugins on the market... a matter of fact i do not think the technology is yet available to create a convincing funky, jazzy, etc sounds...

with that being said... sampled guitar loops/rex guitar loops may be the answer...

It's kinda the same philosophy as Reason.
Granted Reason has more guitars... but you're supposed to use the Scream module to get the sound you're looking for.

In real life situation also... u may only have one regular guitar, but it's the amp that's doing all of the work.

a strat, les paul, telecoaster, ibenz, etc have different sounds/sound differently... that why "most" working guitarist have more than one "axe"...

Last edited:
head over to image line and check out their Sakura vst. Nice lil stringed instrument modeling plugin for the price.

It's kinda the same philosophy as Reason.
Granted Reason has more guitars... but you're supposed to use the Scream module to get the sound you're looking for.

In real life situation also... u may only have one regular guitar, but it's the amp that's doing all of the work.

Scream is nothing close to a real guitar effect amp. I wish they included the line6 stuff from Record in Reason.

Also gotta agree with Neverfunk. A strat and les paul both have very distinctive sounds that are nothing alike. Tons of electric(and acoustic for that matter)guitars do.

But I will stress, if you got NI Komplete, it's worth picking up a $150-300 electric guitar to plug up and play around in guitar rig with. You'll never look for a keyboard patch again.

i just trying to point out that the guitar creates the sound... the amp amplifies the sound... the efx (sustain, compressor, delay, chorus, etc) effects the sound...

there are 3 things that are actually going on...

but it all starts with the guitar itself...

Last edited:
also...

If a producer is a competent keyboardist that has some understanding of how to play a guitar, then he should be able to take even some of the craptastic guitar patches from a random GM soundfont, process it through fx, and come up with some unbelievably realistic sounding guitars in their compositions. I've tried, but because I don't play guitar it's pretty easy to tell that mine weren't played on a real guitar, but I can extract a pretty good tonal quality from simple GM sounds and fx.

i just trying to point out that the guitar creates the sound... the amp amplifies the sound... the efx (sustain, compressor, delay, chorus, etc) effects the sound...

there are 3 things that are actually going on...

but it all starts with the guitar itself...

It even goes deeper than that. Guitars are real finnicky instruments. Everything from the player, to the strings, to the pick, neck position, to the Guitar pickups vs. acoustic, wood, Amp/direct/micing techniques plays an impact on the sound. A lot of the sound also comes from the players "playing style".

Guitars aren't like digital synths, where they sound the same if you turn it off for a year and play it again.

Different types of picks, strumming position, up stroke, down stroke, finger picking, palm muting, vibrato style.

I'd say most of R&B guitar is based more on technique than what type of amp you are using.

The guitar type will make a difference as well though (Strat vs. Tele vs. Hollowbody vs. Acoustic).

But usually most R&B sounds will be more on the clean side. And a lot of styles use acoustic guitars even where mic and playing technique is more dominant.

Most producers will have a dedicated guitar player on hand to add to their tracks.

But I think most companies are scared to produce a great guitar library because of the work involved and the harsh amount of negative critcism they will receive because everybody has their own idea of what a good guitar should sound like.

You can put 10 people in a room with a great piano and probably only 1 person will give it a negative review.

A guitar will be criticized much more harshly because of the wider range of sounds it can produce.

It seems like every guitar library that comes out always have way less agreement whether it sounds good vs. a piano or drum library.

i feel your pain...

there are not too many funky, jazzy and RnB type guitar riffs plugins on the market... a matter of fact i do not think the technology is yet available to create a convincing funky, jazzy, etc sounds...

with that being said... sampled guitar loops/rex guitar loops may be the answer...

7 chars!!!

7 chars!!!

I was looking into Papen RG. It's sort of that loop type plugin with the advantage of controlling the strokes using the step pattern format. People can talk smack about it, but eventually, I will probably end up getting someone to perform guitar licks on my Jams.

I just find it Crazy that NI has 20 piano instruments (at least) and just ONE guitar instrument that's more for rock than anything else. Even if they had a lite version of CH Guitars, it would be cool. But, they don't have nuthin'!

Kontakt 4 has the following guitars:

Akkord Guitar(guitar chords)
Elektrik Guitar
Funk Guitar
Harmonic Guitar
Jazz Guitar
Nylon Guitar
Rhythm Rock Guitar
Rock Guitar
Solo Guitar

Mix any of these guitars with Guitar rig and you can make an infinite number of patches to fill your standard bread and butter palate. Not to say its the end all be all guitars, but there are definitely guitars in there, and they arent terrible if you play.

Back