Propellerhead Conference - I was there ! Check the News !

In its defense I don't believe in the video I saw or in KlickBeatz post that I ever saw it being called a DAW. Seems to be a label that people here are imposing on it because they don't have anything better to call it. I'd be willing to bet that as of tomorrow Propellerheads won't call it a DAW either. That means essentially that the features that we expect from DAW's may not be applicable to this product. Maybe just a matter of semantics.

^^^I mean, a Roland VS Multitrack is a DAW, so I don't see what else you could call this thing.

In everything else's defence, even SONAR, Cubase, ect. arent definitively DAWs if we want to be technical...But a Fostex Multitrack that has more in common with ReCord from what I've seen than with SONAR is indeed a Daw. lol. Just side convo. :cheers:

I like the way they handled the multitakes automatically, and allow for crossfades and such.

The timestretching sounds good too.

I was most impressed by that too, the timestretching was the thing that really caught me off guard, I didn't think the algorithm would be that good.

I was a little disappointed because the teaser made it seem like it was going to totally blow everyone away. I think its a good step for props to start dabbling in the "DAW" side of things, but they could of added alot more. I also don't like that record isnt really full fledged enough (imo), they could of easily just of called this reason 5 and be done with it. By making this its own product I expected more effects, more new modules etc.

Still though I can see myself using this program, it has that reason type of sequencer that I personally like, and can work in easily. Hopefully it'll also be very stable and won't crash.

I'll probably buy it anyway. It will be good to keep a copy of it around just for compatability. I don't see any other benefit of having it at this point. I'll wait 'til tomorrow before I make my final judgement.

I'll probably buy it anyway. It will be good to keep a copy of it around just for compatability. I don't see any other benefit of having it at this point. I'll wait 'til tomorrow before I make my final judgement.

I don't understand your motive here? I mean I am not trying to tell you what you should or shouldn't buy, but if I am reading your post correctly, it seems as though you are saying you will buy it just to have it? If you use Ableton, which by your Avitar and your signature it would seem as though you do and love it? Why then get Record? If you are a Reason user (which I am somewhat) then you can easily re-wire it into Ableton Live?

So, I am just wondering what you are gaining by getting Record? Unless I am missing something about its capabilities?

ONE

This looks cool, but if it doesnt control external midi then that is a complete bummer. that same $150 will get you FL Producer edition and you can record all the audio/VSTs/Midi/reason instruments you want with no dongle. That being said, this app + Reason will be a very nice combo for a low-end Laptop or Netbook user.

I don't understand your motive here? I mean I am not trying to tell you what you should or shouldn't buy, but if I am reading your post correctly, it seems as though you are saying you will buy it just to have it? If you use Ableton, which by your Avitar and your signature it would seem as though you do and love it? Why then get Record? If you are a Reason user (which I am somewhat) then you can easily re-wire it into Ableton Live?

So, I am just wondering what you are gaining by getting Record? Unless I am missing something about its capabilities?

ONE

You're not missing anything really. From what I've heard, if you use Record with Reason and save a song, it saves the entire thing in a Record file. One of the guys I work on beats with sometimes uses Reason exclusively. I know that once Record is released, he will move over to that too. It just makes it easier for me if he emails me a Record file vs. a Reason file and some audio clips.

$150 won't break the bank.

Last edited:
yes, MIDI out is what im wondering about too... it would be ****ing retarded not to have that considering it records damn audio lol

yes, MIDI out is what im wondering about too... it would be ****ing retarded not to have that considering it records damn audio lol
Could you all explain what you mean by midi out?
...maybe I've hit the tube too many times tonight.

Are you talking about sending MIDI data from Record to another program? Cause they've already said you can ReWire OUT, but not in.
Meaning, you could run a DAW with VST's and such, then you have to run Record+Reason into the DAW through ReWire. (Record can only be the ReWire SLAVE, your DAW will always be Master)
I stress that it only works OUTBOUND.

Last edited:
im talking as in send midi data from its sequencer to trigger sounds from an external piece of equipment... ala fantom, triton, mpc, whatever hardware

^^^^ that would be a great idea ! specially for the mpc users out there !

ummm yeah, every daw including fruity loops has had that for ages. maybe now you see why a good deal of us think this program is completely useless?

i mean, to have the ability to record audio and not have midi out is just plain retarded.

Last edited by a moderator:
But to be honest ... who needs the MPC when u got the BEST program out there ... I mean listen to just the intro of the beat I am workin on...I just love the sound of Reason its the best !

But to be honest ... who needs the MPC when u got the BEST program out there ... I mean listen to just the intro of the beat I am workin on...I just love the sound of Reason its the best !

LOL, People will not agree with you on this one dude.LOL You should consider that. We maybe equal in the eyes of the Lord but not in the DAW world. It's still about preferences.....lol I'm pretty sure FL Studio people will also bash you. I replied to it right away so that the impact would be lesser...lol I think...:)

im talking as in send midi data from its sequencer to trigger sounds from an external piece of equipment... ala fantom, triton, mpc, whatever hardware
yeah, duh, I was zoning out for a minute. Thanks.

At first I was wondering why you'd send midi from reason to your outboard synthesizers for anything but playing live, but then I remembered the whole Reason+Record = Audio part, and it all made sense again.

i spent a decent amount of time whining about Record earlier, only to momentarily forget it exists only a couple of hours later.

Last edited:
yeah, duh, I was zoning out for a minute.

At first I was wondering why you'd send midi to your outboard synthesizers for anything but playing live, but then I remembered the whole Reason+Record = Audio part, and it all made sense again.

We wouldn't know that within 4 hours. I hope they will coz it's not like 3rd party vsts that will affect the stableness. If they won't atleast they should introduce some nice refill-like instruments that are superb enough to forget your hardwares...lol I hope.lol:bat:

LOL, People will not agree with you on this one dude.LOL You should consider that. We maybe equal in the eyes of the Lord but not in the DAW world. It's still about preferences.....lol I'm pretty sure FL Studio people will also bash you. I replied to it right away so that the impact would be lesser...lol I think...:)

HAHAHAHAAAAA
This should be made a sticky !!!!!!

Last edited:
Back