Article: Will the iPad ever replace the MPC?

Cheaper and simpler things will always replace what is expensive and more complicated.
did the keyboard not replace the big piano?
did the pc did not replace the big studio for recording?
isnt the tablet replacing the desktop in almost all tasks?
I beleive the tendency will repeat itself.

:)

The iPad will not replace the MPC because it has too many limitations. It would be nice to combine both devices.

Honestly it's probably a bit limited compared to DAW software on a mac, or PC, but something like Beatmaker 2 is doing basically what an mpc does.
Akai, and NI are a little behind the curve with IOS. Many companies are. Sure they have apps in the app store, but Intua is considered head, and shoulders above NI, and Akai in the IOS world.

Things are moving more, and more towards tablets everyday, and even Android has better latency now than in past.

Most of these companies are afraid of cutting into their own market.
Problem is only the ones jumping in 100% committed are going to succeed.

We are at a transition where Tablets are not taking over, but firmly fitting in to the scene, and where hits are beginning to be realized with them.
Pretty much the same point where FL, and Reason were back in 2002.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U-xyq-BTu7A
^Marv4mobeats has no problems using only an ipad with beatmaker.

I don't think the iPad alone will replace the MPC. One reason for this is because you need physical pads that you can slam with your fingers while you're making a beat. You just can't slam your iPad, or you will break it. I do think there will be more MPC style controllers that connect to iPads and computers in the future. Maybe there will be a super MPC that has a built-in touchscreen plus the 16 pad grid we know and love! I haven't tried the MPC Fly but you can see Akai is thinking the future has something to do with tablet computers.

Hmmmmmm. Good call ha!

Imo, physical knobs and faders and pads cannot be beaten by a tochscreen of these days, mainly because of high latency, but lets see what the future brings...

You can get an MPC Element that can be used with an iPad. TBH I'd prefer an MPC much like I prefer a Korg volca or Electribe II. Hold onto it for now.

I believe drum machines will always be around but iPad that put touch screens on the PADS will replace software like FL Studio and be 2nd to drum machines like the Maschine

think about it..

I've been seeing many people substitute their drum machines/keyboards with computer keyboards, and touch screen apps. Technology is a gift and a curse for many.. I fear the hardware companies might feel the effect.

Back