Article: Will the iPad ever replace the MPC?

people keep talking about how you don't get the same "feel" with an mpc as you do an ipad...lol. that's funny. i think you guys are missing the point. sure, it's definitely cooler to bang on pads of an mpc, but what do you think will have more to offer in the future? DAW's have already replaced the need to have an MPC at all, so really, this idea isn't impossible or that far from the near future at all.

I think that it might get replaced just by our computers, people being able to make beats as quickly as they can on these, they might have no need for beat machines to make them when they can do it in half of the time that it would take them on a computer. I am not for sure about this but it is just a though. And VCR's got replaced by DVD players that took less time and didnt have to rewind and had small compact disks. So I wouldn't be suprised if this did happen. But we shall see what happens!

i prefer controls i can actually feel, however digitalized equipment has the potential to have a much wider array of functions. but i dont think the ipad, at least the latest model, even comes close

Hmm i dont know about that lol. I mean what would be the point? If the ipad did the same thing as mpc then why not use mpc? Hey yall consider Beat Thang to be MPC? lol

When I 1st tried the Beatmaker app on my ipod touch, i totally changed my mind about getting an MPC. The "auto-chop" like function is right on point. The way you can zoom in to each sample and cut it in the waveform view, the fine tune with the pitch, the effects, the sequencer, the ability to chop your samples on the go. I mean, of course they still have some more work to do to completely knock the MPC out of existence, but the portability fact alone along with the fact that you can make quality beats using your own sample and drum kits make it a force to be reckoned with.

okay so basically, i see no need to follow trends with gear. i have an ipad and an mpd.. on my ipad i have fl studio mobile, imaschine by NI and a couple other mpc-ish pad-style music making programs.
tbh i like the feel of my mpd and the creative process of playing with it and using it to cue samples and making fat garage drum loops on it etc.. its a bit of a gimmick to me though as i can do the same stuff on my novation reMOTE (which has pads on it too). i like how it feels when you hit the pads etc... but to be honest, theres more applications that can be added to the pads via an ipad touch screen and software.
im really a bit of a fence sitter, the only downfall of the ipad is that it doesnt have great connectivity capabilities. i might be a complete noob, but as far as im aware, you cant connect an ipad to fl studio via a usb and use it as a midi controller. you have to make your stuff on your ipad, then export it to wav or mp3, and then download it from your ipad to the pc AND THEN import it to the playlist in FL.. which is a hassle and doesnt allow for much flexibility if you wanna change some of what you made on your ipad..
the mpc has better processing power, sometimes my ipad lags when im making a rather rich composition or theres a lot of layers..
i presonally hope the mpc stays. even so, hold onto em, cos if everyone sells/ditches their mpc's for ipads, its only gonna be a matter of time before they come crawling back, i know its not technically an mpc but as an owner of an mpd18 and an ipad, as similar as they are, if i had to pick, id pick the mpd. just because i like to compose live in FL and you cant do that with an ipad (as far as i know)..

I've never used MPC to make my beats cause I like using my laptop to be more comfortable; although I have got one which was given to me by a friend. To me MPC is played out.

Nah, Personally I Think That When Your In The Studio Environment You'll Use The MPC But Maybe If Your On The Go You Might Just Might Use An iPad.

I don't think the iPad alone will replace the MPC. One reason for this is because you need physical pads that you can slam with your fingers while you're making a beat. You just can't slam your iPad, or you will break it. I do think there will be more MPC style controllers that connect to iPads and computers in the future. Maybe there will be a super MPC that has a built-in touchscreen plus the 16 pad grid we know and love! I haven't tried the MPC Fly but you can see Akai is thinking the future has something to do with tablet computers.

I doubt it and hope not lol. Look at how many people still want to get their hands on old vintage equipment. The old stuff retains value too. An iPad will upgrade over the years.

Ok i own a MPC 2kxl, an ipad, and every other software that goes with it. Until the industry decides to make a MPC sofware that can mimic exactly like an MPC with no limitations and portable, at a reasonable price, its not gonna happen.

It can replace an MPC, but I don't see how it could ever replace a laptop without being able to connect a external hard drive for samples.
Preferences

Last edited:
Its all about preference. alot of the new school producers, (which is a term every person with an ipad and fruity loops calls themselves) use this type of technology because thats all they really know. I think and hope that great hardware sticks around for a long time, because there is nothing like the real thing. I personally u a NI Maschine which is kinda grey area...hardware feel and control, but it is still computer based. But lets face it, computer based production makes the process more efficient. I do like the ideal of a windows tab hooked to my NI S4 and maschine....mobile...powerful...effective and efficient. apple makes a great product, but it has way to many limitations, great apps i personally use (animoog, imaschine, nano studo with akai synth station 25, very fun stuff) each devices have there strong points. But still....hardware is king...period.

CTRL + Q to Enable/Disable GoPhoto.it

Back