Article: Will the iPad ever replace the MPC?

I believe the MPC will eventually get replaced, maybe not by an iPad though, because the limitations are abundant enough, both aesthetically, hardware wise, and it's much less of a sandbox than a regular MPC. The new line up of digital controller MPC's will do a number of the MPC market, once you digitize a external device, the sky's the limit as far as what you can do with it.

oh so true but if i had one i would know how to make it work without going to the exstreme!!! For now i am a producer/artist so i have to make my own music which helps my out in the end

I think the iPad version could replace the MPC500. I have an MPC1000 with a maxed out JJOS, and I just don't see how the iPad version can match it.

The other new MPC controllers look like they'd be good controllers and soundcards/etc. But, the whole appeal of an MPC for me is to not have a computer. I work on computers all day. I get computered out!

Never. MPC for me is all about the feel of the pads and unique timing. An Ipad will never duplicate that.

I would say that the mpc as we know it is at the end of its life. Maschine and mpc renaissance are the replacement. As for ipad, it is a different option for making music on the go but still limited. But it's just the beginning for Ipad type of devices. With better software and pro audio interfaces coming in to the market they will get better than an MPC . It's not even far fetch that the Ipad IOS and mac OSX will fuse in to One OS meaning that the same application will work on your desktop and ipad so you will be able to work on the go with an ipad and bring your project home and load it in your Mac in order to use more CPU hungry efx or plugins to fininsh your track. But the MPC is part of history now and it will still be a valuable machine in the future the same way as the SP1200 which is worth a fortune 2day.
If you are on MAC check the NOTE REPEATER application from MAC App Store. there is a video on youtube: NOTE REPEATER smk7dev

I will never sell my MPC. I love the sound, the feel, and the flow. It's a classic machine with a signature sound. The only thing I've heard with a comparable sound is the ASR-10. If you don't see the value of the MPC then by all means sell it to someone who does. And no I don't think the ipad will replace it, at least not for hardcore hardware heads like myself. For those of us who came up using hardware, software just doesn't cut it sound-wise. I would use the mpc fly to lay down ideas that pop into my head while i'm away from the studio, but not for an actual beat.

I thought the same thing when I bought the MPC 5000. I was like what did I just do by purchasing an analog. Then just this year I saw it..... the "MPC Renaissance". This will keep the MPC in the game. I have only read about it and saw a few videos, but if it act as a MIDI where I can make a beat then edit it on the DAW... I'll say MPCs are still apart of the game... Akai even has however mad an attachment for the iPad to make beats on the fly... check out AkaiPro website to see what I am talking about...

LJBoogie (AKA The Ultra Violet Scream Machine)
-Keep it Fresh

If someone is just looking for a beat machine, then yeah the iPad can serve as a replacement. It's got the power and the touchscreen can be used to imitate any interface. The problem I find is that iOS developers seem to be stuck in the "let's make an app that imitates real-life gear" state of mind instead of realizing that having a touchscreen means you can do things with the interface that you can't do with knobs and buttons. That being said, there's nothing like having knobs and buttons. I think Akai realized this when they designed the MPC Fly because you get MPC pads on top of an iOS app. I can see, in the future, how iPhones and iPads (or any other tablet that manages to do something useful) will become the go-to beat machine.

Because of the limitations put on it by Apple, I don't believe the iPad could surpass the MPC. However, I could see success on a more open source touch system. Then someone (or Akai) could make an emulator that functioned similarly to an MPC, yet would also be able to import audio files to edit samples and import. Really the future is limitless with touchpad systems and their abilities.

I say yep! Google: "MPC Fly" to see how AKAI have reimagined their MPC hardware to include an integrated iPad dock! Awesome...

Last edited:
i doubt this will really happen at least not any time soon...

you really don't get the same feel... they're two different things...

oh and, microsoft surface is allot more powerful than the ipad... if anything, the surface would be able to give you that power... it has a i5 processor in it.... but even then the feel/workflow is completely different....

maybe the better question is "will the ipad/surface or w.e replace your traditional desktop/laptop setup"....

Back