Article: Things I've been learning while at school

GREAT post!!!I hope people actually take time and read this and do they own research!!This music game is getting RIDICULOUS!!

Cool post. I've done a 6 month Electronic Music Production course at SAE and will be starting my diploma in Audio Engineering in January, can't wait! there's so much awesome stuff to learn.

That's what's up bro, I'm currently going to American River College for audio engineering and feel the same way as you I thought I was a producer haha.. Anyone in the Nor Cal area looking for a great school for music I highly suggest ARC our entire music depart was upgraded a few years ago with 10 million in equipment and new construction. Check out our facilities on doctorvmusic.com. We start out on tape too but not reel to reel just a good ol hd24 mtr but working on a SSL AWS 900 in level 2 Studio Recording Tech! At first I wasn't liking the while analog thing cuz everything I've done has been in the box and digital. But now that I know what everything odd and does I an doing stufg with Reason/Record I never knew I could do!School is the best thing I've ever done for my music career and is a must if you want to have a job in the industry. J.Terrible

I see that everyone find this great. I mean it's informative and helpful in every aspect however, some of the stuff in there belittles people's belief and desires.

First off, it's great to always get down and technical about what stuff really means like calling yourself a producer, or your work space a studio etc. It's even awesome advice that you're pleading with the general forum to educate themselves formally or otherwise. I am all for it and yes the essence of the message is great so I am definitely not spamming / trolling.

It has been debated that recent use of the term "producer" and "studio" has been distorted. Which is why you can do a search for "home studio" and you will most likely see mixing gear and stuff and not necessarily what you described. And am sure that most of the persons who call themselves "producers" don't have an audio engineering certificate. I'm not saying don't educate yourself, I'm just merely saying don't feel discouraged or pushed aside by those fortunate enough to undergo formal training. Not everyone can afford to go to college (especially those from "3rd world" countries whose currency against tho US dollar is weak, stacked wit the extra high cost of being an international student). Then of course there is your target market. May be really easy to jump into a job in the bigger continents, but way to often persons come back to their homes and the market is not available so even starting their own business would not pool any activity. So now they're unemployed with a HUGE student loan to pay. That's reality.
(And hiding the school name. Is it really because the school wants to remain a secret or you don't want others to find an affordable institute? Am not sure, so am asking because any school would love interest from persons and even persuade them to join if they're qualified.)

Also, a back up plan (question someone asked earlier) is always a great idea, regardless if you use it or not. If it were as simple as saying "I want it so I will get it", then everyone would be seated exactly where they want to be. Some people make it, some people don't.

So if Jack calls himself a producer and his work is just as good as commercial releases but he never even finished high school, why should someone tell Jack that he isn't a producer. This may only break his spirit and where as Jack could have landed a DECENT enough job based on experience and his portfolio, he now just sits and says he's untrained. Which is why if someone finishes schooling at an institution without internship, they remain unemployed longer because ALL companies look for experience in the field. Internship allows one to prove their worth since they're already in.

Anyways, I think I've ranted a bit longer than I expected. But all in all, very informative post, but keep it real. Keep up to date with the terms producer and studio, and realize that not everyone can simply "just make it" or "just save up". Single parents, low paying jobs, family responsibilities, geographic locations all play a part in ones decision on how they approach their career if they do have a chance at it.

great post, I as a super producer agree with your tips.

alot of people call themselves producers and aren't but atleast they have goals right. . :)

RZA never went to no damn audio school, if you got it, you got it. Simple as that.

I gotta say I agree with that to an extent, I know a couple of people who went to audio schools and their beats suck! But never know might be some good networking possibilities and learn things you never thought to study

I gotta say I agree with that to an extent, I know a couple of people who went to audio schools and their beats suck! But never know might be some good networking possibilities and learn things you never thought to study

There is so much more to being a producer than making beats. Thats what the OP was saying.

Registered 20 minutes ago. First thing I've opened here. Never will regret this spontanious decision. Really glad about it, actually. Great post. I'm aiming for engeneers too, but i live in a country that hasn't got that sort of school. I guess I'll have to go abroad.

did you actually just recommend DR dre beats?! im sorry man theres some useful info in here but using headphnoes with boner sized bass drivers for production is the definition of counter intuitive.
apart from that theres some interesting stuff here. although, im on $3200 a month as a telemarketer, so putting up with taylor swifts music every day for only $5000 a month sounds like a nightmare to me, although it is pretty cool that hes helping an international artist with such a big name, its definitely the kind of job that beefs up a well written resume. :)
thanks for the article, great post.

Back