Would you sign a contract?

magicrobot

Hey FP,

So you started making tracks and your ready to move up in the latter. You start posting tracks online (myspace, youtube, pmp, soundclick, ect) and you join a club (or forum like FP) to learn from others and make a name for yourself. A year goes by and you start getting rep and recognized. A production company comes along and wants to sign you as a producer/song writer. You talk to a few folks to get their opinion and of course an attorney. Would you be comfortable leaving your comfort zone? Are you ready to make money off what you dream out of life? Your talent, your love, your passion? Are you ready for it? That first stepping stone?

would i be ready to make money off it? yes
As far as signing anything, It would depend on the contract.

But you can make money off it using soundclick or your own domain and some good advertising...

You can also use resources such as studios, contacts ect. to push your name/brand. Just cause you sign to someone doesn't mean you get a 'free ride'. You still have to put YOUR work in to keep your end of the deal not to mention advancement.

Lol, isn't that the dream of most kats on here?
A lot of dudes on here talk about how they're not sure if they would sign a contract on an established label but the truth is most of them would jump on it even if it wasn't too favorable. They just want to get their foot in the door and make decent money making music.
If I ever get good enough to get noticed by a label and be offered a contract that pays me more than I'm making at my current job, I will take it. But that's very unlikely at the moment because I'm not investing enough time in music production to become good enough to be taken seriously. Right Now it's just a hobby and my current career is taking most of my time.

Back