When and why did R&B die?!?

This is simple; Hip-hop killed R&B. R&B acts got sooo thirsty to shine they forgot what made the genre great and tried to be Hip-hop, R&B thugs. R&B been horrible since the early 90's; period.

Most 90's R&B acts were little more than producer driven vehicles for hits and nothing more. No bands. Just four or five guys on stage singing off key to tracks. No showmanship. That worked for Hip-hop but was horrible for R&B. Part of what made old school R&B great were the live shows. Cats would have seriously banging live shows that were unique and polished. They didn't look like they just walked up on stage from off the street and decided they want to try their hand at giving a show. In the 90's R&B acts officially became a waste of money to go see for the most part. Plus, everyone used the same 3 or so producers so they all sounded alike. No imagination, no innovation and a serious lack of chops.

Sure, Neo Soul was poppin' for a minute but that shit would put you to sleep. Plus, they were trying to capture something that had been done better 15 - 20 years prior. Unless you were in you're prime in the 70's you are only going to make poor representation of that kind of Soul music. Shit bored me to tears.

And, don't let me get started on the damn near 25 years of Micheal Jackson wannabes we've had in R&B. Every male R&B act recycles the same MJ moves. ****, Nigga, pick up a damn instrument! Try to at least to do some different shit.

When R&B cats decide to start blazing their own way instead of following Hip-hop, the genre will become great again.

As soon as billboard is finally on it's death bed........discussions like this will be irrelevant. Ain't nothing dead.........just people don't have the mentality to get what they want. Of course billboard will not completely die....but not be dominate. It won't have the attraction power that it has always had. Places like "spotify" will, though. Billboard will be good advertisement for those type of sites.

Then we all will get everything we forgot we wanted......(which is the real problem.)

The fuucked up part of it all though.....is they are already smart enough to rob you. lol! So jump in this shit while this shit is on some soundclick type shit...because the majors will own your ass cheeks.....and less powerful sites with no traffic will be your only way of making money. While the majors rob you of 80%........just cause they can.....because you NEED them.

Be prepared......

"RnB" & "Soul" music died? You mean, the stereotypical, cliche shyt doesn't work anymore? That might be true.

The problem is, such cheesy sell-outs like R.Kelly are these days still considered "artists"; the man was a star, a legend and he pi$$ed it all away.
Usher? Meh, since teen age girls don't want him anymore, he is out.

Now music & talent wise, I mean, I just have to play two Kwabs tracks and you are all proven wrong. I told you in two years, THAT sound will start to appear on
the radar & here it is. Enjoy. :)

I'm definitely a crate digger at heart, but you gotta realize that the majority of the world ... their life doesn't revolve around finding music on their own. They need that filter. To most people, music doesn't exist unles it comes from trusted sources like MTV/BET, XXL/The Source, radio, etc. ... just think about the time it takes you to search around and find a working download link compared to paying a little bit to have the random radio playlist feel of spotify/pandora. I spent hours before work filling up my phone with 40 albums so my playlist is just right for no damn reason. I spend 15 minutes going to work and 15 minutes coming back. That's barely enough time to listen to an EP. Meanwhile I'm spending my downtime looking through datpiff front page and grabbing every other joint, grabbing stuff from people who's interview i watched on the Breakfast Club/Ebro in the Morning/Sway in the Morning or a Dead End Hip Hop review ... That's such a waste of time and people ain't thinkin about all that. That's a true music nerd right there. People got work, kids and shit. Ain't nobody got time for that. And it makes me think of when I was in high school. I'd have my cd player or walkman, and i might have a booklet full of 10 CDs and you pretty much gotta rock with a CD for a month before you had more money to buy another one. I think the music being free and readily accessible and oversaturated has to do with people not spending that time making a quality statement that you can rock with for at least a month

Face it man.......radio is about to be done.........radio is for senior citizens. The attention is on "mobile devices" using "internet services". A Radio station will have to step their online game up passed "just music".......how about beefin with other local stations and creating some reality drama shit on the air.........radio personalities with sex tapes being released......shit will get that corny but too late....

You get a phone for "free"........you MUST have internet service with verizon (for example) not sure about other companies.......but do the math..........spotify is the truth....billboard know's what's up....

Face it man.......radio is about to be done.........radio is for senior citizens. The attention is on "mobile devices" using "internet services". A Radio station will have to step their online game up passed "just music".......how about beefin with other local stations and creating some reality drama shit on the air.........radio personalities with sex tapes being released......shit will get that corny but too late....

I don't think radio will die. People said radio would die when televisionn came out. Then they said TV would die once the internet was fast enough. All of these mediums will exist together in some state. Radio will lose some of its listeners, but some people like the radio format. It will always have some appeal. A lot of older music like classic rock will always be played on the radio.

Anyway, R&B groups from back in the day are still able to tour and sell out shows. Their music is timeless to their fans. People like Maxwell, Sade, Boyz II Men, and other groups that have a hardcore fanbase have no worries. They already know that they are not going to be in the mainstream, but still find ways to connect to their fans.

Last edited:
"terrestrial radio" is generally a thing of the past but that doesn't include satelite radio and internet radio podcasts which are thriving. One of the things people wants is curation and a filter. They don't want it to be like going on worldstar and you have anything and everything on there. They wanna get on spotify and listen to "Toni Braxton radio" and get a bunch of related songs to keep the vibe going. Get off the computer and talk to people lol, like not fellow music nerds either. Hot 97 & The Breakfast Club are thriving and those are terrestrial radio stations. But its entertaining. Ricky Smiley, Steve Harvey, talk radio is still alive and kicking because people want to hear opinions on current events. People that drive to work tend to listen to the radio on the way. Like I said, people ain't on the laptop spending hours grabbing their own music and refilling their phone like we do. Its not practical or efficient to their lifestyle. And from a community standpoint, radio is still a good way of advertising events locally. social media works, but within your network, so you still miss people. Radio stations also hold events like club nights, community events, summer jam type events

Like JeanLuk said R&B isn't dead because he listens to Kwab, whoever that is ... How many of your friends know who he is? If you mention him in a conversation, how many of them dismiss it immediately because they aren't familiar? Even Dead End Hip-Hop which is a bunch of hip-hop heads that dig for their own tastes, Myke C-Town listens to stuff like Shabazz Palaces and he doesn't bring 90% of his favorites to the table because none of the others in the group know what it is lol. That's why this topic was created, because people as a whole still operate under that centralization and filter. That's why everybody has local/"struggle rapper" and "struggle producer" jokes about us and why you're posts of your own music don't get the response that you do when you talk about Love & Hip-Hop, but if you get a song featured on there or on a major release from a cast member, you'll be "legitimized" in their eyes. And these are our friends, and its still somewhat of a chore listening to our music ... Its like oh you still doing that music thing?

Like JeanLuk said R&B isn't dead because he listens to Kwab, whoever that is ... How many of your friends know who he is? If you mention him in a conversation, how many of them dismiss it immediately because they aren't familiar? Even Dead End Hip-Hop which is a bunch of hip-hop heads that dig for their own tastes, Myke C-Town listens to stuff like Shabazz Palaces and he doesn't bring 90% of his favorites to the table because none of the others in the group know what it is lol. That's why this topic was created, because people as a whole still operate under that centralization and filter. That's why everybody has local/"struggle rapper" and "struggle producer" jokes about us and why you're posts of your own music don't get the response that you do when you talk about Love & Hip-Hop, but if you get a song featured on there or on a major release from a cast member, you'll be "legitimized" in their eyes. And these are our friends, and its still somewhat of a chore listening to our music ... Its like oh you still doing that music thing?

camron.gif

If this was 2004......it's not 2004.....

Music lovers like JeanLuk must have found out about the guy from somewhere............think he is the only one? You now know of him......and that is how shit works in the REAL WORLD.
https://soundcloud.com/kwabs

Would say more.......but why.......you just proved my point.....

Last edited:
didn't say "nobody" knew of him ... I said if he was making a huge impact or "saving R&B" there would not be this conversation coming from every direction. Same thing with the "bringing New York hip-hop back conversation". Everybody can come up with somebody from New York that they listen to, but on a mainstream level its not Dipset, The Lox, G-Unit etc dominating at the same time or Jay, Nas, Mobb, Wu, etc. No matter how many NYC artists you got in your personal playlists, even Troy Ave isn't wrestling the stronghold from Atlanta. Nicki's still dominating things and she's from the same area as G-Unit, but she's bigger than NY so you don't make that association. When people say R&B is dead ... I could name tons of people I listen to but its not stopping that conversation unless its a Jhene Aiko or someone else who "exists" on a mainstream level. All I did was asking the person that posted it what his circle thinks of it ... not fellow music nerds who dig, but everyday people. On a grand scale, people don't wanna dig for music

Radio will lose some of its listeners, but some people like the radio format. It will always have some appeal. A lot of older music like classic rock will always be played on the radio.

There are 3 year olds who can work an ipad.............nuff said.All they need now is to be lead..........like I said....radio would have to be as creative as other sites. The radio DJ will have to be a celeb in the same manor as their favorite artist just to even bring attention to the station. As far as rating? If they are not hot on the net........it's a wrap. Only people that will be listening to the station if it still exist....are people in old work trucks that only have radio..

^^^^like I said.....if this was 2004 then I would agree with you.

But you are not understanding the 2012 - 2020 way of how things are doing and about to be done. You can't say ANY GENRE IS DOMINATE today. In the near future you can't say ANY GENRE IS DEAD.

The majors were way ahead on this.....plenty of big money spent buying peoples pub because of this.............grabbing buzzing artist because of this...............dropping they ass when they knew they were going to drop them in the future because of this. They were NOT about to allow you and me to be equal to them on these platforms that are a goldmine.

You would have a point if this was 2004 where people weren't hip to the internet...........the mobile device invited them into a new world and all of it's developments are a work in progress.

The streaming format is nothing new BY NOW! Of course we've had streaming sites way before the dominate ones of today......but they have breought things to a level that "fit" listeners. AND IT'S ONLY GOING TO GET BETTER!

It's like hearng about an aurthor..........we've heard "best seller" so many times that we don't care if they are lying or not......but what is this book about......I've been seeing it all over "FACEBOOK".......(not the radio......not T.V).............

Kony 2012....................nuff said.

what does a 3yo with an ipad have to do with the price of tea in china ? lmao a 3yo ain't buying music, you aren't even buying music from these obscure artists you bring up. That's the problem. People have tons of music that they love, but don't spend any money for it & complain all day about the state of affairs. You keep downing radio in general but the largest streaming platform is radio. Spotify is radio. Its just not terrestrial radio, but even Hot 97 & The Breakfast club are thriving in 2014. Rickey Smiley &Steve Harvey thriving in 2014. You obviously don't get out and talk to the people. It only takes a million sales for a platinum album. If you sell to everyone in NYC you can go 8.5x platinum ... i say that to say its a big world out there, and there's many demographics of people that have different preferences. You have to look beyond the way you like to do things.

Last edited:
^^^^it's like you agreeing with me and don't even know it lol!

Why would I worry about buying an "artist music" when I live in a time that it's "NOT EXPECTED?" My point........that "this is the number 1 selling album and this genre is hot everyone hop aboard while it's hot" frame of mind is on it's last leg......and your best friends (the big dowg industry) are rounding everyone up fresh and old. It's like going to pay a bill with cash and them telling you "we do not take cash".

Would you care about fans buying music when you still make money from your music? Why get mad at the fans for not buying your "songs or albums" when that era of the music business is done? lol!

BUT PEOPLE ARe sTILL lisTENING TO MUSic!!!! Now....you want to talk music nerds.......well......we will welcome back the share genius that can get all the music they want.......which is the primitive mindset. lol! Takes too much time.........when I have access to whatever anytime and IMMEDIATELY.

My point is exactly what you are saying. The old album selling format is done. Streaming is the new (and probably last) way of consumers listening to music outside of live performances. lol! It's that simple.

I typed out a response but I changed my mind ... I'm definitely one of them "I can't go to sleep, someone's wrong on the internet" type of people, but you clearly
have reading comprehension issues. You lack the minerals and vitamins ... irons and the niacins. That or your narcissistic enough to ignore the part of a conversation
where you have to listen to what's being said, analyze it, and respond.

RnB died when artists that sucked started using autotune and convinced everybody they could sing.

#fail

I think it died because there's no money in black love in the youth coming up. The youngstas coming up consider most if not all women bi**ches and ho*s. You'll make more money with them talking about beef,violence and getting the booty type songs. This was planned decades ago by the powers that be to divide and conquer blacks. The goal is to create distrust between the black male/female that never existed in history before. Just like in the game of chess once you get the queen won't be long before you checkmate the king,which is the ultimate goal by some in power. No other race puts down their women like black males do period! The white woman is a queen to white men and he will always uplift her and put her on a pedestal,the same can be said about all other races. The industry by design has destroyed the image of strong black women (like florida evans from good times) to women who are referred to as bit**ches and are thought of as being untrustworthy,gold diggers,scandalous or just all around shady characters. The black woman will only go as far as the black man leads in our community. Case in point male rappers started calling black women b**ches now black women not only answer to this derogatory name but call themselves bit**ches. Apparently,your not a good black woman nowadays unless you're a bad bit**ch. The plan/brainwashing has worked so well that successful black men marry other races because the black woman is portrayed as being less than wife material.

I remember growing up listening to too short (don't fight the feeling and cuss words) for first time i looked at black women as competitors that i had to conquer for some reason. Dudes really started doing that ish too short was spitting about like "if she don't want to give her number that ain't shit,just drop a few lines and call her a *****". From then on black women had to be on guard on how to decline advances from young brothas.

Bottomline it's nigga season if you don't know yet,the goal is to divide,conquer and destroy. You can see the same thing with the welfare system which is by design to break up families and discourage marriage. If you are a black woman on welfare and you want benefits you can't have a man or be married or they cut most benefits off. They promote broken and dysfunctional families which is the nucleus/strength of any community. Different game same goal,wake up nigga youtube maafa21!!!

Last edited:
Back