What synths are used in the song ”Crockett's Theme” by “Jan Hammer”?

C

cubbyhouse

What synths are used in the song ”Crockett's Theme” by “Jan Hammer”?

bass: Roland Jupiter-8
strings: Roland Jupiter-8 (not sure)
lead: Yamaha DX-7 (not sure)

Okey! I just fell in love with those sounds! I may have one of them then... the DX-7. But, the Jupiter, is MUST HAVE! :)

Jupiter is the definition of analog sound. My JP6 makes my tracks almost for me!

cubbyhouse said:
Okey! I just fell in love with those sounds! I may have one of them then... the DX-7. But, the Jupiter, is MUST HAVE! :)
Hey I'm not sure about the DX-7 lead, but it could be.
The bass is a Roland Jupiter-8 (100% sure - read that in several Jan Hammer interviews) and probably also the strings are.

The bass in "Axel F." was a MOOG Modular System.

Nope. Maybe it was also a part of his equipment, but for "Crockett's Theme" the bass was definitely the Jupiter-8. I'm not sure about the leads and strings.

I'm a huge Jan Hammer/Miami Vice fan. He has mentioned in several interviews that the random arpeggiator part and the strings are both the Jupiter-8. The percussion sounds are probably samples triggered through his Fairlight (Jan used the Fairlight for sampling and for sequencing). I'm not sure what the xylophone like sound in the lead is during the beginning and end of the track. The breathy sounding layer in the lead is either the "arr1" Fairlight sample or a patch on the Jupiter-8 (I say that it could be the Jupiter-8 because I have a Roland JD-990 with a patch called "heavenhollow" that sounds EXACTLY like that sound...possibly it is a copy of a Jupiter-8 patch...?) The screaming lead guitar is a signature Jan Hammer sound. It is probably either the Yamaha DX7 or his Memorymoog run through various effects.

Whenever I hit D-C-A-F-G-F-G on my keyboard I get chills up my spine.

Be sure to visit www.janhammer.com to purchase Miami Vice: The Complete Collection. Although the collection is far from "complete" it is a superb set of Miami Vice stuff.

You won't find out before you ask him. Give him a call!

..i'm preparing to look like an idiot, but isn't the AZ-1 just a controller? no sounds? mr hammer did use keytars though.

ma3a_operat0r said:
..i'm preparing to look like an idiot, but isn't the AZ-1 just a controller? no sounds? mr hammer did use keytars though.

Well, I was just kidding with Vagabond. And don't worry about it! :)

He is performing it live here:

Seems to be a Fairlight he is using for strings and lead line?

Don't know name of the keytar round his neck.

Need someone with more synth models knowledge than me to know for sure.

Last edited:
Ah it's called a Lync Keytar - if it was used on studio recordings who knows, but can see it was for live shows.

EMM_86_02_jan_hammer_large.jpg

More details on it here:

just inherited a korg ext3, and it is hooked up to our allen organ. what do you people think is the simplest software to use with this beast?



Back