what do i do?

D

Demon_king

hello, i am new here and really do not know what i am doing. where do i start? i am completely new to all of this and if any of you can help me i would be very greatfull.

thanx,
Demon king

Hey hello Demon_king, welcome onboard! :D

Sure we're going to help you, what exactly are you wanting to do? Mixing, composing your own music (notes etc..), or something else?

Talk soon

ps: by the way, HTML doesn't work in the signatures.. Use the vBB code > http://www.onlinedj.com/board/index.php?action=bbcode

[Edited by ManoOne on 10-01-2000 at 10:17 AM]

I think the first thing is to get yourself a cheap "starting up" package with two turntables, a mixer with crossfader, and 10 vinyl records or so.

With this equipment (remember, cheap stuff so you get started) you can start understanding how a turntable and a mixer are working.

Also, you should spend some time in record stores (not virgin! small vinyl/dj shops) and talk to the folks there, buy some mix-tapes to listen to some mixing, maybe also go to a peaceful club where you can go behind the DJ and watch how he performs...

It also depends what style you are intereted to mix.. Some styles are easier than others.

You'll need patience, lots of patience
Post when you have a question, also read other threads (some are really funny :D) and feel free to be part of this community. We are helping eachothers a lot.

can you give me an idea of the cost of the equipment will be?

and where do i go about getting this equiptment?

one other question i have is about electronic music, is there anything i can do on the computer? like some kind of mixing program or something? thanks again for your time i really appeciate it.

Demon_king

Where (country) are you living in? That'd help to find the right place to go :)

As for the computer..

"mixing as a DJ on a computer" ... I would put it this way: enjoying mixing is enjoying "touching" the vinyl, the crossfader, etc... You don't have the same feeling and pleasure on a computer.

But I am talking about "mixing as a DJ on the computer" only... You can have a lot of pleasure using the computer for other things such as composing your tracks, recording, mastering, etc.. very useful. Just making sure.

Also... You should get a program called ReBirth, which would be a good start. It is not a mixing program directly but will introduce you to composing.

A tutorial "Getting started with Rebirth" is coming by the way :)

I have the same question, but I want to create music from scrath.
Composing my own stuff.

I prefer buying quality hardware instead of the cheaper stuff you outgrow fast.

I'm using a Mac G3 and have no other music hardware/software.
My taste in electronic music is :
Moby, NIN, DJ Shadow, Kraftwerk, Prodigy, Chemical Brothers,
Daft Punk, Air ... You get the idea !

What's the basic set up ?
Rebirth and what else ?
Best place to buy online ? ( from USA )

You can post a new thread if you want.

In USA, you can use http://www.music123.com, or you can print the prices pages from the music123.com website (really low prices) and go to any music store and ask them to match music123's prices (it worked for me, saved almost 40% on a pair of studio monitor speakers)

as for what you have to buy, mayeb you could read existing discussions on this forum, because many people asked the same question.

A tutorial "The first electronic music set" will be published in the near future on this site, with all the pros and cons about the main stuff out there, what to choose, examples of connections etc.. Sounds good?

Back