What did Daft Punk sample on "Around the World"?

zincfingerr

I posted this in the sample forum but I figure not many electro heads go there...

Before you quickly drop "Jerry Goldsmith - The Rec Room" (from the Outland Soundtrack), lemme say that I know that one. But if anyone has ever heard that song, they didn't touch the bass in it, or the percussion. The only thing they could have gotten from it was the high pitched melody thing in the background.

We all know daft punk constantly gets trashed for being unabashed samplers, but no one has come forth with where they got one of the best basslines (actually there are 3 amazing basslines in there) in the last decade... If they just came up with it then mad props.. and they can sample all they want because obviously they can come up with heat on their own if need be. Otherwise, someone lemme know where it's from because I need to go digging for that track!

i've read that one of the basslines is a filtered one with the cutoff raising slowly, which im guessing is a synth bass.

I'm pretty sure everything on homework was produced in their home studio with very little sampling, discovery (as the name indicates) was when they started to use more samples of other songs.

It's a completely wacky idea, but I'd suggest they just might've written it. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
uNDefineD said:
It's a completely wacky idea, but I'd suggest they just might've written it. ;)

They did. Homework was all about going back to their house roots (ie. the track "Teachers"). If you look, deep house is all about instrumentals, just like early house music was, not samples.

Thanks for the info guys...
I wasn't saying i don't think they could have written it (I believe they're supertalented), but I'm saying if they did they should get more credit because everyone seems to write them off as not talented b/c they sampled the **** out of discovery.

I know they sampled a lot on Homework too; Da Funk has recognizable Barry White and Vaughn Mason & Crew samples, High Fidelity is obviously a sample, Phoenix and Indo Silver Club sound sampled, but granted it's a lot more chopped up than the stuff on Discovery and after...

I'll check out that DVD, thanks MOBEETIEBLUES

Last edited:
echoGHOST said:
They did. Homework was all about going back to their house roots (ie. the track "Teachers"). If you look, deep house is all about instrumentals, just like early house music was, not samples.

listen again...they name check plenty of people who sample, Paul Johnson, Dj Sneak, roy davis, and Dr Dre for crying out loud...

Back