what are some good notes for a hard/dark melody?

No, I was just kidding, sorry about stupid joke :)
Man I do not know your level, so I just wrote some notes from minor scale, because minor usually sounds dark.

But dark is not dark for everyone. For me dark is that child piano playing happy melody at horror movies :)

Classical simple example for Major and Minor- start on C and play any white note and you get Major. Start on A and play white notes- you get Minor.

As for chords, one of the darkest for me is prog. from G (2nd invertion) to Ddim to Cmin . It all depends of course..

Opeth is a progressive band. Listen to Windowpane and Death Whispered in a Lullaby by them.

Last edited:
try either the harmonic minor scale or the phrygian or locrian modes of the major scale

i.e. based on C these would be
Harmonic minor
C-D-E[sup]b[/sup]-F-G-A[sup]b[/sup]-B-C

Phrygian mode
C-D[sup]b[/sup]-E[sup]b[/sup]-F-G-A[sup]b[/sup]-B[sup]b[/sup]-C (aka A[sup]b[/sup] major but emphasise C, D[sup]b[/sup], E[sup]b[/sup], G and A[sup]b[/sup])

Locrian mode
C-D[sup]b[/sup]-E[sup]b[/sup]-F-G[sup]b[/sup]-Ab-B[sup]b[/sup]-C (aka D[sup]b[/sup] major but emphasise C, D[sup]b[/sup], E[sup]b[/sup], F and G[sup]b[/sup])

try either the harmonic minor scale or the phrygian or locrian modes of the major scale

i.e. based on C these would be
Harmonic minor
C-D-E[SUP]b[/SUP]-F-G-A[SUP]b[/SUP]-B-C

Phrygian mode
C-D[SUP]b[/SUP]-E[SUP]b[/SUP]-F-G-A[SUP]b[/SUP]-B[SUP]b[/SUP]-C (aka A[SUP]b[/SUP] major but emphasise C, D[SUP]b[/SUP], E[SUP]b[/SUP], G and A[SUP]b[/SUP])

Locrian mode
C-D[SUP]b[/SUP]-E[SUP]b[/SUP]-F-G[SUP]b[/SUP]-Ab-B[SUP]b[/SUP]-C (aka D[SUP]b[/SUP] major but emphasise C, D[SUP]b[/SUP], E[SUP]b[/SUP], F and G[SUP]b[/SUP])

idk what any of this means but im gonna try it out

The Harmonic minor is a scale form, the phrygian and locrian are modes of the major scale, meaning that they use the major scale form mentioned, but start on the 3rd note (phrygian) and 7th note (locrian).

Back