Understanding Innovation

DjPolair

Being a producer/beatmaker is all about innovating, creating something that hasn't been done before. I think most people don't realize where innovation comes from and how it works so I wanna share an excerpt from the book "talent is overrated" with y'all. Its from the chapter that deals with innovation and where it comes from.

"Understanding where innovation comes from is particularly important
because we tend to believe deeply that this type of performance, even
more than others, is a mysterious gift. It's easier for most of us to believe
that a great tennis player achieved his success through the principles
of deliberate practice than to believe that a great inventor got
there that way. But the evidence shows that the most important factor
in their high achievement is the same for both. Professor Raymond S.
Nickerson of Tufts University has written that "the importance of
domain-specific knowledge as a determinant of creativity is generally
underestimated, even though investigators have given it considerable
emphasis." What makes the biggest difference is the willingness to go
through the demanding process of acquiring that knowledge over time.
David N. Perkins of Harvard, surveying the many factors that have been
proposed as important elements of creativity, wrote, "The clearest evidence
of all demonstrates the connection between creative thinking
and values broadly construed—a person's commitments and aspirations....
Much more than we usually suppose, creating is an intentional
endeavor." Wanting to achieve mastery of a field, committing to the
long, hard work of achieving it, and then intending to innovate—that's
how it happens."

I assume people know this, maybe in the back of their head, maybe consciously. But it has to be clear to every person doing music that domain(music)-specific knowledge is absolutely crucial to creativity(in music).

So again, this further proves the point, LEARN EVERYTHING ABOUT WHAT YOU WANT TO DO.

But maybe most importantly this, assuming you would like to produce a hit. Is to know just HOW the current hits are made, you have to understand the way they did it to be able to go beyond that. Reading this, it all might seem obvious, but reread, understand just how crucial the knowledge is to your beats.

If you want to do this as a living, music has got to be your school and you gotta be a damn nerd to get good at this shit.

Agree, innovation only happens when you become an obsessive student of the craft.

You have to genuinely have a deep love for what it is that you doing. There also needs to be a certain level of respect for those who came before you and the craft itself to succeed at it.

Check out Mastery by Robert Greene, it's a good book to read in combination with this one.

Good thread.

Last edited:
Someone asked a question. Music theory or break the rules. My answer to that is break the rules first, then learn why you broke the rules, then break them some more.

But this is the funny part of it all. When it's blazing hot outside, and you see somebody in a big ass coat and pants.....not one drop of sweat on them....they cooler than every one else around.........most will still look at that person like they a fool. lmao!

Someone asked a question. Music theory or break the rules. My answer to that is break the rules first, then learn why you broke the rules, then break them some more.

But this is the funny part of it all. When it's blazing hot outside, and you see somebody in a big ass coat and pants.....not one drop of sweat on them....they cooler than every one else around.........most will still look at that person like they a fool. lmao!

that's it, 90% of the time the fool and the perceived fool ain't the same guy, you can be right all you want, If you ain't look right you wrong, the eyes eat too

Being a producer/beatmaker is all about innovating, creating something that hasn't been done before. I think most people don't realize where innovation comes from and how it works so I wanna share an excerpt from the book "talent is overrated" with y'all. Its from the chapter that deals with innovation and where it comes from.

how it happens."

I assume people know this, maybe in the back of their head, maybe consciously. But it has to be clear to every person doing music that domain(music)-specific knowledge is absolutely crucial to creativity(in music).

So again, this further proves the point, LEARN EVERYTHING ABOUT WHAT YOU WANT TO DO.

But maybe most importantly this, assuming you would like to produce a hit. Is to know just HOW the current hits are made, you have to understand the way they did it to be able to go beyond that. Reading this, it all might seem obvious, but reread, understand just how crucial the knowledge is to your beats.

If you want to do this as a living, music has got to be your school and you gotta be a damn nerd to get good at this shit.

A worthy chapter, indeed, the wisdom in what you've posted isn't such obvious common sense, NOBODY plucks genius or conjures originality out of the ether, I totally agree, it's often arrived upon with devised, contrived circumstance.

Last edited:
that's it, 90% of the time the fool and the perceived fool ain't the same guy, you can be right all you want, If you ain't look right you wrong, the eyes eat too

Let Jay-Z, Dr.Dre, or Diddy advertise it.........all kinds of wrongs happen then.

1. "THEY STOLE MY INNOVATIVE WAY TO STAY COOL THAT PEOPLE THOUGHT I WAS STUPID FOR!!!!"
2. "In today's news......the rise on people having a heat stroke increased 310%." All because people want to look cool instead of being cool. Forgetting to charge the battery. Iphone fully charged, though.

So.......are people really ready for innovation.....or are they waiting on it to become popular among others? Or expect it to be great since it's different....coming from someone who they trust for it to be "a good product" from?

Most of the time the things that are innovative yet make since was already thought of by someone else a long time ago....they just couldn't reach the masses with it "ON THEIR OWN".

Got to watch where your innovative thoughts go. They may not be worth nothing if it is just you.....but to somebody else it may be worth a gazillion dollars.....a gazillion for them, nothing for you.

"HEY MAN.....HE STOLE MY IDEA!!!!" Was it really innovative? Did he actually steal it.....or was it a product that was meant to be and 1,000s of other people were thinking the same thing as you and the person who is finally the name behind the innovation.....that person not being you?

With innovation comes responsibility. You got to protect that shit....and move on it fast...."AT THE SAME DAMN TIME". Let's see J.Cole make a song as innovative as that one.....ain't going to happen.

"There he go again....Rice is the epitome o hater."

This is a great example.

But, your right, many things that are innovative takes a long time to become a pop culture, and when it does, its actually older than many think.

It reminds me of the good old "who started trap beats". Some say its, Lex, some say Shawty Redd, but in reallity it goes way further back than that. Its because the masses only see who made it popular they will call him the creater of that style.

Setting a trend, isnt allways the same as being the innovator.

Last edited:

how it happens."

A worthy chapter, indeed, the wisdom in what you've posted isn't such obvious common sense, NOBODY plucks genius or conjures originality out of the ether, I totally agree, it's often arrived upon with devised, contrived circumstance. and about your query of playing pickleball on tennis court then you can play pickleball on tennis court.

Last edited:
Back