"Tricks" for Sampling

TraqHouse Music

What else do you guys do/use for getting specific sounds from a sample...for example when using HP/LP filters, sometimes some of the sounds you dont want are still there...or to get rid of them, then what you want doesn't sound right anymore...just curious what other things you guys try...

Last edited:
my tricks are mine, ALL MINEEE!!!! I WILL NEVER GIVE UP MY SEEECREETSSS

\jk, I usually use return tracks and lots of sends when messing with samples.

Last edited:
Its only a sampling trick if it fools you.

Once you work it out, its not so much a trick as it is a technique.

Off the top of my head:

- 'Low End Theory' aka low pass filtering
- Separating a stereo mix and sampling only the left or right channel
- Sampling the centre or 'mid-side' of a stereo mix, if you know how
- Tapping your turntable when sampling to make a 'kick' sound
- Sampling at 45 RPM plus tuning then slowing down in the sampler
- Sampling in reverse then reverting to normal in the sampler

LostProfit -
Thanks for the correction...the term I shoulda used is 'techniques'...
You posted pretty much what I was hopin' to see, I havent tried playing with left/channels
...and I've sampled some in reverse, just not that way...
Thanks for the insight!

using M/S eq is a amazing way to separate the tracks. so if you want the guitar panned right you can use the eq to cut all the low in the mid and then use a stereo with to localize the sound

---------- Post added at 09:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:48 PM ----------

also using ablton to mod the sound is amazing, try using the texture warp setting and drag the track to create unusually sounds.

using M/S eq is a amazing way to separate the tracks. so if you want the guitar panned right you can use the eq to cut all the low in the mid and then use a stereo with to localize the sound

---------- Post added at 09:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:48 PM ----------

also using ablton to mod the sound is amazing, try using the texture warp setting and drag the track to create unusually sounds.

Yeah man, warping is like Ableton signature. You can do some cool shit with it.

- Tapping your turntable when sampling to make a 'kick' sound
I use this every now and then and layer a kick with it.

Rubber band bass:
- Put a record on the platter.
- Stretch a rubberband between the spindle and the light of the tt (or something else).
- Put the neelde on the record and plug the rubber band while recording.

Yeah, but ableton has 4 different modes of warping. Each is good for different types of samples. You can put grit on samples, to messing with formants all within warp mode.

the flex time is the same but totally different at the same time.
Abletons complex mode allow for the tightest sound possible where flex is a little weak, not doubt in two versions time logics flex time will be just as good it took ableton to version 5/6 to have it as good as it is now

So if I'm correct...a lot of you are usin' different plugins for your samples, to alter the sound, after you've chopped them? I mainly use FL Studio and Acid Pro...as far as software...in FL I chop and cut samples in Edison...I'll start with tryin' to find nice loop for my "main" sound....mostly I play with the pitch of course, some time stretch...and I'll use that mainly throughout the beat...then I'll cut different pieces I like from that loop, and layer them together for the chorus...and with those pieces I've come up with...I'll throw them in seperately and at different times over that loop, where the "verse" portion of the beat would be...so I mainly use filters (HP,LP, etc) to try and get the sounds I want outta my samples...but sometimes they dont always do what you want to hear...any FL users around by chance? :/

So if I'm correct...a lot of you are usin' different plugins for your samples, to alter the sound, after you've chopped them? I mainly use FL Studio and Acid Pro...as far as software...in FL I chop and cut samples in Edison...I'll start with tryin' to find nice loop for my "main" sound....mostly I play with the pitch of course, some time stretch...and I'll use that mainly throughout the beat...then I'll cut different pieces I like from that loop, and layer them together for the chorus...and with those pieces I've come up with...I'll throw them in seperately and at different times over that loop, where the "verse" portion of the beat would be...so I mainly use filters (HP,LP, etc) to try and get the sounds I want outta my samples...but sometimes they dont always do what you want to hear...any FL users around by chance? :/
I use FL and this is almost exactly what I do. I cut in Edison and throw the cuts on the FPC pads and just start playing over a premade drum pattern. Usually I end up with one longer part that I like the most and that becomes the main loop and then I throw in some other parts of the song to cut off the main loop. For the chorus I throw in some solo instruments, sometimes chopped to notes, mostly looped, or if the song doesn't have those kind of parts I play some notes with a synth.

i cant really explain it, you just gotta be creative bro and if not creative, just loop it :P

follow what the music tells you. dont force anything. you can spend hours trying to chop a sample up and force it into a melody. a lot of the times simpler is better

Back