Technics 1200> Sound only out of RIGHT channel!

W

w3rk

I have a problem with one of my Technics 1200 turntables. The sound is only coming out of the right channel and nothing out of the left. I initially thought it was my RCA cable so I got it new RCA cables replaced last night. What happens when I plug it in? Sound is still only coming out of the right channel, even with the new cables installed. I know for a fact its not the headshell/cartridge becasue i cleaned the contacts on the tonearm, and I interchanged the headshell out of my other table...still the same problem. What else could it be??? I really hope its not the tonearm, but then again, the tonearm wires dont move and arent exposed so how could the break? ("if" this is the case)

Anyone have any ideas or troubleshooting they can help me out with? Anything I should check?

Thanks!

- w3rk

If you have it hooked up to the RIGHT channel it is only going to come out of the RIGHT channel on your mixer.

So that is normal.

Unless you mean right SPEAKER, than that's a dif. story.

Thats what I mean by right channel -> right speaker. On my mixer (RANE TTM-56), the level gauges only lights up on the right side and no response on the left gauge.....when I use the PAN feature, when i put it to the left side there is no sound...

thats what I mean by right channel

you said you switched the headshells.....

have you tried to switch the TT?
then you could tell if its the mixer(hope not) or the TT..

does your home stereo have a phono in?
if so try hooking the TT to it to see if it still does it...

it might be the mixer :(

pay no mind to h20

Geez Infradead I was only trying to help. Because afterall he did say channel. A lot of people can make mistakes and I was tryin' to save him (if that was the case) from doing more than he had to....

I myself have made countless easily solvable mistakes.

I'm sorry for any confusion I may have caused.

:cheers:

Hey, what kind of carts to you have? Also, it could be that your tone arm wiring is faulted somehow. If that is true, it sucks, but it could be a lot worse. It will cost you $50-70 and a bit of time after cozying up with 1200 manual at the top of this board... Also, this is a longshot, but what happens when you put the turntable out of phase (switching the left and right outputs into the mixer)?
-Peasant Nikon

Hey all, thanks for trying to help me out. Here's a little more info:

- Its NOT the mixer> (thank God, I love my TTM-56)seeing that i've connected my Tech 12 into my Vestax 06 Pro and my Numark mixers...still getting a signal from only the right speaker

- Its NOT the RCA cable on the turntable> i just got the RCA cables replaced on Monday night and still no sound/signal out of the right side. Also, I swtiched around the L and R plugs on the mixer(s) and the right RCA plug is definitely working

- Its NOT the headshell/cartridge> I have no problems since im using my existing M447s (didnt rewire cartridge) and I've swapped all of my cartridges on my problem turntable...still no right signal.

What else could it be? Anything else (external/internal things) I should look at? I've checked out the obvious stuff (carts/mixer/cables/connections) and everything is fine. I'm thinking its something internal in the table...but what? And also, how did it happen seeing that its not like I open and play aroudn with my Tech 12's.

Thanks again!

check this

w3rk, get a hold of a multimeter or a friend with one and check the resistance at the pin and the sleeve on each RCA connections with each coresponding connector pin inside the knob at the end of the tonearm. you are looking for 0 resistance between each pair. if you find any that show open instead of closed, that is your problem - the tonearm wiring. here is a little diagram of which pin goes to which RCA

.......white RCA pin O O red RCA pin
white RCA sleeve O O red RCA sleeve

hope that helps - jeff h

Last edited:
Once again don't wana come off as "You can't do things right" But could your PAN be on? If the 56 even has it.

Just throwing out ideas here. Prob. not since you said it's not the mixer.

:( Maybe call Panasonic?

Thank for the suggestions guys..keep'em coming and i'll update you guys on my progress.

dj /-/2o> I thought I posted that I checked the PAN but i guess I didnt. Yup, I checked the PAN switches and made sure it was in the middle or fully to the left and no success. :(

You probably know this already, but if you have the 56, make sure your mode on the upfaders and the crossfader are in "mode 1" (up, that is, not pressed).

Also, try a DeOxit Pen. They sell them are Turntablelab or your local electronics store probably has them. They do wonders for weak/ poor connector signals.

dynagroove said:
w3rk, get a hold of a multimeter or a friend with one and check the resistance at the pin and the sleeve on each RCA connections with each coresponding connector pin inside the knob at the end of the tonearm. you are looking for 0 resistance between each pair. if you find any that show open instead of closed, that is your problem - the tonearm wiring. here is a little diagram of which pin goes to which RCA

.......white RCA pin O O red RCA pin
white RCA sleeve O O red RCA sleeve

hope that helps - jeff h

Finally someone that knows where to start looking for the problem!

Just on that, The easiest way is to get a spare headshell and remove the wires so you just have bare pins. This makes it easier to check continuity on each pin to RCA connector. Usually there in a plastic diagram on the headshell telling you what each pin is.

TheShadiest said:

Finally someone that knows where to start looking for the problem!

Just on that, The easiest way is to get a spare headshell and remove the wires so you just have bare pins. This makes it easier to check continuity on each pin to RCA connector. Usually there in a plastic diagram on the headshell telling you what each pin is.

nice tip!

Back