SU200 and MIDI

gFunk

Just got myself a Yamaha SU200, and very pleased with it I am, but the next stage in my setup is to hook it up to a MIDI keyboard. Can anyone recomend a good cheap keyboard, and perhaps suggest a complete setup (ie do I need to run through a PC and use Cubase, or just connect keyboard directly to sampler?)
I have a spare PC, and Cubase, but what advantages would running the sampler through that give me ?

Dj stretch

best to get a keyboard with a "midi thru" input, as well as the usual in + out's. That way you can use the keyboard as a midi controller for the sampler. I had an su200 for ages, till i saved up and got an akia s2000, and man its soooooo sweet. There are loads of keyboards to get, but it depends on what you want to do. I have a fair bit of knowledge about keyboards, as i'm a grade 8 jazz pianist, and i use them in most of my stuff. I've had a few in my time. Get back to me on what you want to use it for, and i'll see whats around at the moment (also give some idea of price range).

gFunk

Thanks stretch, the only recommendation I've had so far for keyboards is the Roland A-33 - what do you think ? Price range I'm thinking off is between £100 and £200.
The other thing I really want to know is whether using a sequencer is going to allow me to do anything that the SU200 and a keyboard alone would not. (eg bpm sync etc)

Dj stretch

yes, it would, but first i would concerntrate on the keyboard. If you were thinking about getting a sequencer AND a keyboard at the same time, the it's probably best to get a keyboard with a built in seqencer, at least that way you'll know theyre compatible! As for specific models, i'm still looking into it, but i havn't had much time recently, as my band may be on the verge of signing a record contract, but i'll get back to you a.s.a.p:cool: