Still using vinyl?

i do but only because it sounds better.

i'm not a purist or anything. people can play out what they want. its all djing.

I still use vinyl and who cares. I ran into a couple djs during a gig and asked them if they wanted to spin and they said "nah I only use serato. I can't DJ without it." Wtf is up with that?

I still use vinyl and who cares. I ran into a couple djs during a gig and asked them if they wanted to spin and they said "nah I only use serato. I can't DJ without it." Wtf is up with that?

thats messed up. but tbh it shows, all these laptop/ableton only dj's dont pull off good mixes. they come like Jukeboxes.

nothing wrong with Serato, its a great system , as are CDJ's but i recommend anyone starting up in DJing to learn on wax because everything else will just be a piece of cake for you.

I still use vinyl and always will. I plan on getting Serato someday for the best of both worlds.

i'm not a dj, but for sampling, indeed. like to have a bit of the hiss and pop in my samples. also, nothing beats the sensation of finding a classic piece of sampling material in the bottom of a grab-bin for $.50.

I still use vinyl and always will. I plan on getting Serato someday for the best of both worlds.

It's a good way to roll. Vinyl will always be superior in my mind, but a storing and maintaining a big collection becomes a real pain in the ass, especially when the time comes to move it. Serato bridges the tactile gap and gives you access to a whole slew of stuff you might not be able to track down on wax. That obscure shit gets mighty expensive.

Amen to the bargain bin diggers too. So many people fail to realize it, but that "Norwegian Folk Songs & Dances" record is bound to have at least five seconds of heat on it. Somewhere.

:) Sometime, but it depens where u playin. I still have turntables in my home studio, but almost all clubs got just CD players. But i still love vinyls/

Vinyls all day. I use serato but learned on vinyl before I got that. I still have a ton of vinyl and when I buy new music I tend to always get the vinyl of it, as most vinyls now come with a digital download card anyways so you still get the mp3s of the album. The whole not being able to dj without serato is a joke.. Heaven forbid your laptop eats it during your set. uh-oh. And yeah to the vinyl diggin comments. I love finding some crap looking record cover in the cheap-o bin just knowing inside gold lies on said record. ohhh the joys of digging. Something these ableton kids will never know anything about.

Last edited:
Played vinyl for 10 years and I don' t miss it all, especially not the 2-3 hour it took to find that special record in your own collection that you were looking for... And if you didn't find it was just to start all over again..

I'm a vinyl guy, nothing like the mldy smell of a fresh crate. Digital world has it's pros for sure, but I like to get all touchy feely with the stuff I play.

Gentlemen, they are called Records, not vinyls. When an artist puts out a new song, they don't say, he or she has a new vinyl out. They say they have a new Record out. Peace be with you.................Rob Mixx

I too were a vinyl lover for almost 10 years but as soon as I discovered Ableton - it was goodbye forever.
Yes, vinyl has a few advantages (mainly sound quality - although I could add that the production on the tune is far more important than the format) but it's biggest downfall is it loses big time on the portability/practical factor.
Whether you like it or not, vinyl is NOT the future (there are very few cutting plants left) - so why bother with it at all?
Punters couldn't care less what tools you use to entertain them - they just want to hear a great set of music.
Personally, if I were starting out as a DJ - I would leave vinyl to the 'old dogs who can't learn new tricks' !
Once you discover the creative possibilities of mixing in digital format - I really can't see anyone going back.

Nah I haven't used vinyl in a few years now, even though it brings back memories, but i don't miss carrying all those crates!

When i started DJing i never considered anything but vinyl, if you want to become a skilled DJ you have to learn from vinyl then move on, learning the basics of true beat matching by ear and understanding the way a song is constructed. Don't get me wrong all the technology is great and opens up huge possibilities but to me theres nothing like vinyl.

Went to see Digital Mystikz a week ago and they played there whole set on vinyl and were a hundred times better than any of the DJ's playing before them using Serato and CDJ's

Back