Songs in Acid-Which samplers to convert to live?

vanian

I have been composing alot of music in Acid over the last year comprised mainly from loops I made myself with the MC-307 and guitar and vocals and what not. Now I figure the best way, if I wanna do this work live, is to take the loops Ive created in Acid and transfer them to a sampler. NOw first of all, I am green to this and limited on my knowledge so if this is not the best way to go about this, tell me. BUt assuming it is, what would one recommend as the best sampler for this? Granted, price IS an issue. I need the most cost effective way to bring this stuff live, but still have a little room to improvise too during the live performance, but still have a good solid sound too.

I dont have much time to explain everything i have in mind that would help you now, but let me say something... why dont you bring a PC on stage and play the songs from ACID directly (even a laptop would be enough I think)

AND buy a cheap sampling box (KORG ELECTRIBE S is now 500 USD) with 64MB of ram

the laptop would play your basic track, you can mute parts anytime (so it's more live) and you can also improvise with the KORG ELECTRIBE S running at the same BPM (you touch the pads and yo utrigger vocals, drums, sounds...)

I think this IS the best solution for you..

Do NOT try to transfer all you made in a sampler, because you will need a sequencer anyway (to trigger the samples!) and why not directly using ACID.

Helpful? you should follow this, I can picture you doing all this no problem. Good luck man.

THats very helpful and definitely a possibility thanks.

One thing though, I dont have a laptop and it would be a few bucks to get one but I probably am gonna need one regardless. ALthough I like the idea of transferring the samples to something like the Electribe(that's actually what I had in mind but wanted to know what others thought first) and I plan to get a sequencer too so I can hook up my Roland MC-307 to it to go along with the KORG and I also plan to get a Nord Lead as well that I will plug in through that. This is all long termplans for the next year or two of course but I'd I just wanna make sure I am going in the right direction and hopefully have the right setup to start doing live gigs by summer 2002.

glad this helps.

At some point though, you should look into learning how to use a REAL sequencer (MIDI sequencer) such as CUBASE or CAKEWALK or LOGIC... especially if you get a NORD LEAD... ACID is not going to make it.. you need a sequencer to control your MIDI devices/instruments.

then, get a MIDI CONTROLLER and a MIDI INTERFACE for your PC ( i dont mean the one on your soundcard, i mean one with several MIDI IN and OUT) and plug EVERYTHING to the computer/sequencer.

Then you'll compose everything in the same place: the sequencer. This is how producers do.. everything plugged ot the computer, and they compose the songs on the MIDI sequencer. The osunds are not coming out of the ocmputer, it comes out of all the machines.. the computer only TRIGGERs MIDI notes.

Cool, yeah I wanna try to get away from Acid completely. It's just all Ive got right now. I obtained CUbase VST5 recently though and definitely plan to get into that but the learning curve is sooo steep, ugh!

Thx for the advice!

Back