Software for re-mixing tracks

pierre

Hi all,

I know absolutely nothing about all this music mixing stuff but I would like to re-mix/edit my existing MP3/WAV pop songs and turn them into underground-sounding house and trance songs. Is this feasible with only my PC and appropriate software? If so, what editing software do you recommend? I have less than 200$ to spend for now.

Thanks for your help!

P.S. I have looked at Vegas Audio and Sound Forge 4.5 as well as Cakewalk Studio 9 but they are really expensive and I am confused as to which I would need (if any).

Any re-mixers out there?

I have been reading a lot on this site since I posted my question above. Thanks all for the huge amount of friendly information you have posted...

I am still trying to get started but still don't really know how. Has anyone here ever successfully done what I am wanting to do? Can I use Reason (when it finally ships), Cooledit, Buzztrack, etc. for that? Will I be very limited without Cubase VST and a hardware synth? How do famous DJ's like Danny Tenaglia re-mix songs? Would I need the dub (correct terminology?) of a song to start editing over it or can I strip it from elements I don't want to include to make it sound decent? help...

Thanks all in advance.
Pierre

Most DJ's use turntables, hardware synths and a sequencer like "Cubase to mix the music.
But I migth have an alternative:

U can look at the D-Lusion MJ-Studio at the "Full Reviews" section:
http://www.onlinedj.com/articles/reviews/mjstudio/page1.shtml

With this you can mix two MP3's together. (Come to that later).

-------------
Now:
To put in your own stuff you can use whatever program you want:
Buzz, Reaktor, Reason, Cubase, Reality...

If you use Cubase, you migth want to have a softwynth like Reality or Reaktor too.
Cubase is a sequencer, wich means that it doesn't generate any sound itself. It controls other programs.
---- You can use socalled "VST's" in Cubase though, which are softsynths too.

--- With Reality you'll have to have a sequencer. I'm personally using "Digital Orchestrator" which is much cheaper that Cubase, but very good.

I normally make my music in Buzz though. This is a incredibly versatile program and it's free.

Enuff with that.

---------------

Now, then when you have created the sounds you want to use, you can create an MP3 file of them and mix it all in MJ-Studio.

I suggest you spend a little money on either Cooledit 2000 ( http://www.syntrillium.com) or Soundforge too.
These are audio tools which can do ALOT more than just converting your Wavs to MP3s.

This i, I guess is the cheapest way to do it, cause hardware is alot more expensive, but then, the quality is equalently higher.

Feel fre to ask any more questions and also ask if some of what I just said was a little confusing.

Thanks DJ Chriss,
Now I understand a little better... it will be quite a few steps and a few different programs before I can produce something.

Also, I will need to add some voice sounds and maybe lyrics to my project. Is this what I would need Cool Edit 2000 or Sound Forge 4.5 for? Besides the format converting utilities of those two programs, what else do you use them for? CE2000 is 69$ + plug-ins, SF4.5 is 280$ (yikes)...

OK, I will now try your suggestions and will definitely come back and let you know of my progress. This is really exciting. I am also sure I will have more questions later.

Thanks a million!
Pierre

wow!

Well, I did check out CoolEdit 2000, nice!

And, I also got Cubase VST 5 as well as a CS1x Synth... I am just starting to learn all the functions on it. It looks like it might take a while for me to get confortable with all its features. As an ignorant newbie I never knew how many possibilities a synth has!!! Next step is getting some MIDI cables and hook it to the sound card and start recording.

I also tried the demo of MJ Studio to mix some mp3's... Impressive for a piece of software to be able to play two tunes on one soundcard!

Thanks again Chriss for getting me started.
Pierre

Yes Pierre, good, you got the CS1X and Cubase VST5, you are good to go!

Hook them together via MIDI and select bank and programs (to select instruments) on each track.

you can control up to 16 tracks at the same time, with an instrument on each track. Make sure you are in MULTI mode to do so (Multitimbral).
Post any question you have (but start a new thread, because this one is getting a bit off topic)

Okay I am a bit off topic here, as what I am describing above is not "remixing tracks".

Back