so... ya think the Beat Thang is still a toy?

think a lot of detractors will be eating humble pie on the low when it drops, peeps just stick to what they know but bare in mind all them big companies was start ups at one point

these guys innovated with a feature set that peeps wanted and listened to directions so **** will be a success.

It looks pretty cool. But honestly, I did not like the software at all. It was too buggy and unreliable. I hope this machine is a little more stable.

think thats why they put out the software first so they could get feed back an iron out bugs so when the hardware comes out most the amendments and bugs is ironed out n the **** run smoove.

"Freak", "Bang", and "Blang" as buttons?

These buttons need to be renamed if anyone is going to take this as a professional product -- $1000 MSRP is professional-product territory, and you're going to have very few curious high school "producers" able to afford this product.

well, they did say its still a prototype... those buttons might not make the final cut... but they sound very serious to make a very serious portable drum sampler... at this point, it cant be ignored... im pretty sure if u see a demo at the store u will sit and play with it.

da relic

well, they did say its still a prototype... those buttons might not make the final cut... but they sound very serious to make a very serious portable drum sampler... at this point, it cant be ignored... im pretty sure if u see a demo at the store u will sit and play with it.

da relic

This product is "professional" in the same sense as the Beats by Dre headphones. The intent may or may not be there -- but regardless, even if I play with it, I'm not buying a $1000 toy. Bring the price down to the $50 that it's worth, and I might buy it.

Even then, this thing still has to compete for my attention with the $15 kid pianos that I also play with when I run by one in the store with enough time to mess around on some chords 'n notes. I'd probably buy it instead so I can sample its unique tones and throw into Camel Audio Alchemy or Absynth.

Last sentence: $1000 is a very expensive toy.

fatso, mopho, mophatt..... a name means nothing if the product is useful

at the end of the day it doesn't really matter if some think it's a "toy" or not, it's just like anything else, some will buy it, some won't.

The features and specs put it right in there with the sampling sequencers on the market now, I've yet to see anyone refer to the features or specs as "toyish" it's always in reference to the labeling or the lights, or something that really has nothing to do with how it can be used as a musical instrument.

its funny that this "Thang" is the same price as the MPC1000 yet its specs are very comparable, if not BETTER than machines in that price range, yet its considered a toy... Salem Beats, did u even watch the last vid posted? having software programs and every virtual keyboard and drum machine at ur fingertips has alot of u guys turnin ur noses up at hardware... im seein that alot with u guys in here.

da relic

Last edited:
The features and specs put it right in there with the sampling sequencers on the market now,

If this is true, then all you're proving is that there are a lot of expensive toys out there.

I've yet to see anyone refer to the features or specs as "toyish" it's always in reference to the labeling or the lights, or something that really has nothing to do with how it can be used as a musical instrument.

Lights are nice. My padKONTROL has lights.

Labeling a compressor as "Bang" or "Boom" (or whatever it is) is straight-up retarded sh%t -- especially because compressors have many purposes not related to "Banging" at all. Mislabeled buttons like this are a serious workflow issue.

its funny that this "Thang" is the same price as the MPC1000 yet its specs are very comparable, if not BETTER than machines in that price range, yet its considered a toy...

And the general consensus among MPC owners tends to be that the MPC1000 is a toy. So the toy is comparable (and might slightly exceed) the capabilities of another expensive toy. So what?

having software programs and every virtual keyboard and drum machine at ur fingertips has alot of u guys turnin ur noses up at hardware... im seein that alot with u guys in here.

Are you trying to prove my point for me? Yes, I like my velocity+note-multisampled round-robin Kontakt libraries, I love the synths available on a computer, and these digital hardware products don't have the characteristic sound of analog hardware, which is really the only excuse for still using expensive dedicated hardware devices these days.

Last edited:
how does one define a toy? name wise, visually u could call the thang a toy.

however just because the unit has a small footprint that does not make it a toy feature wise if u have the latest jjos installed on the mpc1k it will do the same things as a mpc2500 (the only difference being size and inputs)

feature wise the thang surpasses the 2500 and 1000 as it has all they functions plus more **** that neither unit can do.

if akia came out with an mpc with the features of the thang everyone would be jocking and hyping it up which leads to to thing peeps give props based on the size of the machine and history of he company making it rather then the merit of the unit and how it can benefit ur production.

how does one define a toy? name wise, visually u could call the thang a toy.

however just because the unit has a small footprint that does not make it a toy feature wise if u have the latest jjos installed on the mpc1k it will do the same things as a mpc2500 (the only difference being size and inputs)

feature wise the thang surpasses the 2500 and 1000 as it has all they functions plus more **** that neither unit can do.

if akia came out with an mpc with the features of the thang everyone would be jocking and hyping it up which leads to to thing peeps give props based on the size of the machine and history of he company making it rather then the merit of the unit and how it can benefit ur production.

I watched as many videos of this product's features and workflow as I could.

I gave the off-name manufacturer and childish appearance a chance to impress me.

I don't think you understand.

This unit can't benefit my production.

If Akai came out with an MPC with the same features as this device, I would be equally unimpressed.

A musical toy is defined in my vocabulary as "a tool that compromises the ability to create a finalized professional product in order to be more fun".

sigh... thats the power of the computer... people are becomin snobs... lol... the funny thing is, i myself want it because of its ability to be part of ur setup at home, AND then u can unplug it and run on battery power and take it with u... name me something that does the same thing and has the features that they plan? nothin's gonna replace my RS7000, which is also considered a "toy" to some... but the size of the Beat Thang, plus the power it has the potential to have, makes it the best of both worlds... as long as it does what they say its gonna do, i could care LESS what other's feel about it... if we all listen to everything someone said, we'd all have an MPC, Reason, FL, one of the big 3 keyboards, Pro Tools, etc... a very borin place this would be.

da relic

fair dues if it aint for u cool

but a fun unit can actually give a playful spark that translates into inspiration which can lead to a certain magic in music.

but ur mind has decided that if a unit is simple or fun then it will inhibit creativity or ur ability to make polished production.

but this can be viewed as a form of elitism, some peeps want they production to methods to be as obscure/complicated n difficult as it gives them a sense of achievement.

but bottom line is how does the music sound n vibe

but a fun unit can actually give a playful spark that translates into inspiration which can lead to a certain magic in music.

but ur mind has decided that if a unit is simple or fun then it will inhibit creativity or ur ability to make polished production.

NO.

I don't think you understand my simple point.

A "fun tool that you use for inspiration" shouldn't cost $1000.

the TR808 was considered a toy once... yet that kick drum as well as its other sounds, and its pattern method, is still bein used in everything, 30 years later... bottomline is this, toy or no toy, if i make a track using nothin but THAT machine, u wouldnt even know the difference... so, big deal... the word "toy" is just a word thats bein used to lessin its appeal... if and when it comes out, its features and abilty to make tracks just like all the other "toys" or professional equipment, will be the end of all negative comments.

da relic

Last edited:
the TR808 was considered a toy once... yet that kick drum as well as its other sounds, and its pattern method, is still bein used in everything, 30 years later... bottomline is this, toy or no toy, if i make a track using nothin but THAT machine, u wouldnt even know the difference... so, big deal... the word "toy" is just a word thats bein used to lessin its appeal... if and when it comes out, its features and abilty to make tracks just like all the other "toys" or professional equipment, will be the end of all negative comments.

da relic

Toys make some interesting tones that are great to sample into a playback system such as NI's Kontakt or Steinberg's HALion.

However, the workflow of toys is time-consuming and counterproductive for both creativity and profit.

The TR808 was an expensive breakthrough in its time, became popular for a while because the average person could eventually afford a used unit, and now it's done. Its tones can be emulated or sampled.

Its pattern method was no breakthrough.

Last edited:
I would certainly agree that 1000 usd is a great expense but the features r pro as i mentioned it has features that neither 1k, 2500 or 4k range has

most toys as u call em due to they simplicity are faster and productive to use.

so the only toy elements are the name the lights and its small size n portability

ur argument seems to be that a home computer is not a pro cos its not a server

most toys as u call em due to they simplicity are faster and productive to use.

Toys create a simple, incomplete product more quickly, but slow you down in the long run when you try to make additions, polish a track, or make finishing touches.

Back