Snare on 3rd beat for southern type track?

osiB

Is this true? I've been listening to a lot of southern type beats recently and I've noticed that that snare is located on the 3rd beat of a bar.

Idk if im right... but i think the tempo in most southern beats is extra slow and they just use the instruments to make it sound fast.... so when your listening it sounds like the snare is hittin on the three everytime because you THINK the beat is fast... listen to it as though the tempo is slow and you can see how they are doin it.... idk dats just what i think... i just started producing...

Idk if im right... but i think the tempo in most southern beats is extra slow and they just use the instruments to make it sound fast.... so when your listening it sounds like the snare is hittin on the three everytime because you THINK the beat is fast... listen to it as though the tempo is slow and you can see how they are doin it.... idk dats just what i think... i just started producing...

Yeah, that's what I thought too until I heard the metronome go off at a high tempo for some beat making videos.

When you say the 3rd beat, that's because a lot of our tracks are in double time. It helps the rapid hi-hats and snare rolls. Normally you count out a beat 1-and-2-and-3-and-4-and, with the snare on the 2 and 4 like buddy above said. But when you double time that the snare would land on the 3. Correct me if I'm wrong FP.

double time is like when the tempo set at 150 or something high and the snare only happens once a bar at the third beat, so with time doubled hi hats ticking would be at 1/8th instead of 1/16 and so on and so forth

double time is like when the tempo set at 150 or something high and the snare only happens once a bar at the third beat, so with time doubled hi hats ticking would be at 1/8th instead of 1/16 and so on and so forth

i've never heard of anything like that... but if the snare lands on the 3... it cant also land on the 2 & 4

I make all my beats in double time hold on.

This should help explain.
86131548.jpg

Last edited:
Might be a bit confusing that "double time" - musically - usually refers to playing, well double the speed of the "original" tempo. But sequencing-wise it's basically about using double tempo to increase the sequencer step resolution to make more intricate arrangements, even though the song is half speed (of the tempo/bpm setting)...

what the guy above is doing is HALF TIME
u can either do it at 174 n fill in the holes or do it at 87 and use piano roll
either way...i hv no clu what u mean by the 3rd...a stutter? perhaps
any tracks we can see for an idea?

Back