sidechain in fl

irthwirm

I can't find ish on this topic anywhere on the internet. Well i can but nothing that gives a good tutorial on how to do it. Help? Using waves diamond or i heard you can use the peak limiter in fl. But i rather use waves so i can carry the technique over to pt.

Thanx

Open FL - left click on the channel of an KICK > add it to FX 1 >
open the FX-menu > then choose the Fruity Peak Controller from
the menu > that little "bar", which underneath says "TNS" - click
and hold your mouse on it and move your mouse up so its bend,
almost like an arrow (Use the one on the top/the 1st/the highest/dunno
what it is called :confused > then turn the volume up to max > close
that window > open any VST/softsynth - and open the piano roll >
Add a long note (like when you add strings/pads/) > now, right next
to your VST/sample (which you have just used), there is a volume-knob,
where you can turn the volume up and down - RIGHT click it >
"Link to controller" > then in the new window that appears, under
"internal controller" you have to chose "Peak ctrl (FX1) Peak + LFO"
> then under "Mapping Formula" - Chose "Inverted" > then press Accept
> and then with the kick you used right in the start.. add a simple
1/4 beat (a normal trance-beat) > Press play

usin kick method:
Sidechain compression is an interesting concept, you are basically using one sound to cut out another sound. Most people use this effect to ensure that a bass and kick don't play together but you could use it for anything you want i.e open hat stopping closed hat to get authentic drummer sound.
Assign bass to say FX3 and kick to FX4.
Add a peak controller on FX4. This will feed the compressor that you add in FX3. Unmute the peak controller as you want to hear the kick.
Add a compressor on FX3 and link the 'threshold' knob to the "Peak+Lfo" of the peak controller.
If this is done correctly the the kick should cut out the bass a bit.

HeIsTruth said:
I'm just stuck wondering how it is you "bought" Waves Diamond, but are still running FL 4 :bigeyes:

i'm running 7. REad more carefully... i think you're refering to HeIsTruth which doesn't mention anything about waves...

Anyway any insite on using a waves compressor to achieve the sidechain deal would be dope. pref the Rchannel

all the peak controller thing does is animate the volume. I want to compress the bassline when the kick hits using a compressor. More like a gate i suppose.

Last edited:
irthwirm said:
all the peak controller thing does is animate the volume. I want to compress the bassline when the kick hits using a compressor. More like a gate i suppose.
I not a fan of the peak controler myself but what you want to do
can be done with the peak controller.All you do is use the kick
to trigger the peak controller which you set up to controll the bass
vol..That is all that a compressor does really is controll the volume.

I have not found anyone that can do SC compression with the Wave plugins
in FL Studio myself.Other Daw's do it better then FL.But I heard people have luck
with the one from
db audioware

Last edited by a moderator:
yeah i just had to tweak the knobs to reverse the effect. I don't think you can do it with waves in FL but I have yet to try it in PT

You can 'sidechain' any automatable parameter on any plugin with the peak controller. I, for example, do not link the output of the peak controller to the volume of the sound I want to have 'ducked' - I link it to (slightly) upper the frequency of a lowcut filter. Sounds a lot nicer imho.
The only drawback of the peak controller is that it is not sample accurate. Its precision is (like automation) bound to whatever the PPQ is set to.

As for plugins which have real - full sidechain inputs, FL doesn't support them.
From what I know though, the Waves compressor doesn't need them anyway. Its 'sidechain channel' is the right channel, while the one you want compress is the left one (or vice versa)

Last edited:
Back