samplers?

S

se7en_samurai

I'm having trouble with the concept of samplers, what exactly does a sampler do. can it be used externally with turntables.
cheers

Hi !

Well basically a sampler is a kind of recorder, it allows you to record some samples from an audio source or use sounds banks. Then you can edit your samples, add filters, loops, assign them to key notes, pitch them, etc...
You can control your sampler with midi and use your samples to write tracks in your sequencer.
Some samplers like the MPC got pads, you can assign samples and trig them. Interesting for live stuff.

:)

Ah nook i think he wants to know about the little yamaha and korg samplers

Ok there samplers that can be used in conjuction with ur turntables, if u want to record some sounds and play them back in ur mix these are the best samplers for u.
try www.korg.co.uk & www.yamaha.co.uk
look for the Korg ES1 and yamaha SU200 i think these are best if u want to add samples to ur mix the other samplers on offer are above ur needs

hmm, yeah thats helpful.
i was curious because i was reading about mark b who was a dj who started collecting breaks and then moved on to full on production.
can you get breaks on vinyl? I'm interested because i met a rapper at a party who said he'd lay down some lyrics for me but it was difficult because i had very few instrumental tracks and i thought about making my own stuff, just beats and a b-line

u want to make ur own stuff i see first u need a shopping list for that

1. sequencer
2. master keyboard
3. sampler
4. synths (could be ur master keyboard)
5. drum machine (maybe)
6. mixer (line)
7. effects (maybe)

this is the kind of stuff u will have to research into
ok i see ur into making hiphop, if u give me an idea on what u have to spend i could give a nice list of kit to look out for

well i dont want to committ myself to having loads of gear and i dont really have a set budget so I'd probably want to get one thing at a time, which would be the first thing i should get, the one that would allow me to do the most stuff

do u own a PC or Mac?

if so get good sequencer first

if ur in college u can get cakewalk on the cheap :)
see what u like cakewalk(PC only) Cubase or Logic these are 3 main ones then a master keyboard, if ur on a budget get some like yamaha CS2x or roland XP10 or korg X5 these are very good keyboards/synths u can get cheaply

i got cakewalk express free from a cd on a magazine so i have that, but the problem with that stuff is i cant use it with my decks

u need cakewalk homestudio or better, some sort of audio editing software,

just hook up ur decks to the line in of ur soundcard and thats bit sorted.

Do u have any money saved up? because u can get a lot of this stuff 2nd hand and thats the best way to start build up gear

What soundcard do u have?

it think the korg has the better features and is more flexible than the yamaha try http://www.korg.co.uk for the ES-1 and http://www.yamaha.co.uk
I personal feel u could get some 2nd hand samplers that would be better than these or even discontinued ones for the same price as the korg
try and have a look at the akai S2000 & emu ESI32 there about the same as each other and offer u a lots more for ur money.
Do u have keyboard? because u could get a 2nd hand one that might be few years old
i suggest u get a good sampler, master keyboard & mixer then build on that

Back