Sample Storage

Xabiton

Cupcake God
Im just curious how many people here store they're songs that they haven't sampled yet on a harddrive vs savin the actual vinyl. im comin up on too much **** and Im debating on what to do with it. I have a really good size Hd so as of right now Im just recording everything to my pc and saving it in its own folder with the info from the record. Good idea or do u guys have any better ideas?

Xabiton said:
Im just curious how many people here store they're songs that they haven't sampled yet on a harddrive vs savin the actual vinyl. im comin up on too much **** and Im debating on what to do with it. I have a really good size Hd so as of right now Im just recording everything to my pc and saving it in its own folder with the info from the record. Good idea or do u guys have any better ideas?

If you save them digitally you lose all the advantages you had of having the vinyl originally. If you think about how many MB the average three minute song takes up on a computer you might be better off just making a bit more room for the wax.

that's a total lie! (well the first part). if you record a record onto a hard drive, it doesnt make it digital quality, it means that X has tha warm vinyl sound, in a usable digital format. sounds like a good idea to me- then you can sell the vinyl for more than you payed for them & you got some money aswell to buy mopre vinyl & a newer,bigger,m faster hard drive that you can use just to store the vinyl on.

I put all mr rare records on my computer(Coltrane "Giant Steps") and then usually burn them to cd but thats cause I listen to them regulary. When im sampling I record the whole song and save that on the cpu as well. If ya got the space do it.

every7 said:

If you save them digitally you lose all the advantages you had of having the vinyl originally. If you think about how many MB the average three minute song takes up on a computer you might be better off just making a bit more room for the wax.
Well the logic there is that they are going to be on the pc eventually anyway so either way I look at it its gonna lose sound. im not saving them as mp3s just as wavs the same way i would when i record them into the pc. i think it will save me some time and workflow tho. just record them mono at 24/96 and let them sit until i am ready to play wit em and sell the vinyl so i can make room for new vinyl or just to kick it wit whatever i wanna do really. ill keep the rare stuff and the expensive stuff and sell the rest. (Ill get u a list of the stuff when I get ready to do so). as for space on my pc that dont bother me i have 2 hard drives one of which is 75 gigs and im only using 7 of them. So I have plenty of space. My other hard drive has 6.6 gigs of space open. I have mad room for this. Plus it will extend the life of my needles. I dont see any negatives here.

I guess I'm referring to the advatages you have in manipulating the vinyl as sounds are being recorded that you would lose if the songs are stored as straight songs in electronic files.

Obviously there are programs that enable you to imitate the feel of manipulating a record and apply it to a digital file, but they are only designed to imitate what you would easily already be able to do if you kept the crates.......

With all this said, there's absolutely nothing wrong with using an electronic bank rather than keeping the records, but it's certainly not an equal replacement for what you would have lost.

If you think the electronic files would help your workflow, it sounds like they are definitely worth encoding, but maybe keep the records as well......

i record the whole song that im gonna sample into my pc and save it as a wav file in its own folder. i put all my chops and loops and stuff in the folder with the original recording. still get the feel that i wanted from the vinyl!

Theres nothing wrong with it but I recommend everybody who does music to keep it on a different hard drive. Use an external hard drive so you can travel and take it with you and also suppose your computer crashes you will lose everything except your hard worked out samples, music, ect... that you saved on the external hard drive. Thats what I do just to be on the safe side.

Anybody agree with me?

p.s. another internal hard drive would work also.

After reading this I believe I'm the only person that doesn't record the entire song. I actually sample in phases... I listen to 2-3 records a day... sample what I like taking a little before what I like and a little after it... Save it... USB it to my comp... let it sit...

Eventually I'll go through it... if I like it, I'll work with it... if not... it'll sit...

But do you guys feel like having the whole song kind of distorts your vision of a track you had?

missdjcoley-cole said:
Theres nothing wrong with it but I recommend everybody who does music to keep it on a different hard drive. Use an external hard drive so you can travel and take it with you and also suppose your computer crashes you will lose everything except your hard worked out samples, music, ect... that you saved on the external hard drive. Thats what I do just to be on the safe side.

Anybody agree with me?

p.s. another internal hard drive would work also.
i have 2 harddrives which i think i already mentioned. one with my windows and program files and the other which i plan to keep all of these samples on. but an external harddrive is just as dangerous as an internal. if u something corrupts that one ur kinda fukked as well. which is why i keep my main beat computer completely offline. And keep a laptop for internet and travel uses. Cant lose it if u keep it out of jeprody

I either sample in parts of the vinyl that I want or rip whole cd tracks to my computer.
All my samples are on an external firewire drive, so if I need to go to a friends house or something I just take that with me, its also a bit faster to work from.

I sample any track i think i might use into my computer and save it to my ext hard drive. Im not losing any aspects of the vinyls since i chop on my computer anyway...

Back