Record Label vs. Production Company

rando

New member
Record Label

Seems more legit

More money

You usually hear big producers saying "I now own a record label"

You usually hear upcoming producers saying they want to start a "production company" where its like a group of beatmakers under a manager and make beats for various artists....

Now with a record label, you can be over artists and make beats for them and hire "in-house" producers to werk with your signed artists.

It would also be fun to be at talent shows and local events to look for talent.....just mi opinion.

Random King has spoken............
 
Last edited:

JBeeZy

New member
DEFENITELY a label, cause then you can easily create a production company under the umbrella of your label. Then have your producers work with your artists to make some big money...............4 everybody!
lol...


J
 
rando said:
Record Label

Seems more legit

More money

You usually hear big producers saying "I now own a record label"

You usually hear upcoming producers saying they want to start a "production company" where its like a group of beatmakers under a manager and make beats for various artists....

Now with a record label, you can be over artists and make beats for them and hire "in-house" producers to werk with your signed artists.

It would also be fun to be at talent shows and local events to look for talent.....just mi opinion.

Random King has spoken............

Hey whats up man, i thought you left or somethin? lol

SP
 

DjRicoKiNg

New member
Well if u have a Productionz U need a brother Recording Label or other way around. It's good to have booth make ur own beats and being able to Engineer your own recording. Learn to master the mixer, and be a killa at making beats. Have that your set.
 

dwells

New member
this is funny. no one here owns a label. even if it is "amatuer records", it is still a production company. IF YOU DON'T HAVE DISTRUBUTION, YOU DON'T HAVE A LABEL!!!
 
dwells said:
this is funny. no one here owns a label. even if it is "amatuer records", it is still a production company. IF YOU DON'T HAVE DISTRUBUTION, YOU DON'T HAVE A LABEL!!!

Haha....well, you right man. If you don't have all the branches in your business plan laid out....promotions, marketing, new media, production, internet management and the like....sorry buddy you don't have a label. kinda like saying you have a car, but all you have is the shell of the car and no substance under the hood or seats on the inside....Cause that'll how you'll feel when an artist takes you a lil too seriously about your 'label' only to find out you have no distribution, no marketing teams, no a&r department and such.....

I'd go with a production company....build my own studio, and work freelance.
 

dwells

New member
I would never try to set up a label, it is retarded. Its too much BS. A production company can do everything that a label can do. a production company can release music, sign artist, do shows, etc. Label don't devolop talent, labels takes talent that is already to go. production companies can sign artist under a production deal, and have a larger label pick the artist up, and the production company still has the artist signed. Labels can't do that.
 
dwells said:
I would never try to set up a label, it is retarded. Its too much BS. A production company can do everything that a label can do. a production company can release music, sign artist, do shows, etc. Label don't devolop talent, labels takes talent that is already to go. production companies can sign artist under a production deal, and have a larger label pick the artist up, and the production company still has the artist signed. Labels can't do that.

:victory: Yeah! somebody gets it! Wayy too much BS on starting a label...believe me I tried...it's insane. Honestly I feel production companies are the new labels...will be moreso in the future. If I would use some imagery to describe it.... Production companies are the cooks and chefs in a takeout resturant...they use the food, *the artists* get them ready, preparing them and all that good stuff and send them for delivery....though a label's distribution.
 

emsiwun

New member
I'm feeling that...

Major labels, or any other label basically, is like the F.B.I., they just take over after the smoke has cleared...

Production companies are the ones that set the fire...
 

Cazzta

New member
PlanetHitzProduction said:
Haha....well, you right man. If you don't have all the branches in your business plan laid out....promotions, marketing, new media, production, internet management and the like....sorry buddy you don't have a label. kinda like saying you have a car, but all you have is the shell of the car and no substance under the hood or seats on the inside....Cause that'll how you'll feel when an artist takes you a lil too seriously about your 'label' only to find out you have no distribution, no marketing teams, no a&r department and such.....

I'd go with a production company....build my own studio, and work freelance.

Yea exactly, production companys are also called "vanity" lables. they can develop and produce some talent and usually these lables dont want people they have to develop and all that, they want to sign someone who is already ready and has someone else backing them..which is where your production company would come into place. so its possible they can just sign your company and use the major's promotion and distrubution..and then put out the project. or they can negotiate a deal (if theres a contract btwn the artists and the company or "you") almost like a buyout type option, theres diff ways. a good book to read is "confessions of a record producer" it talks more about it in there
 

emsiwun

New member
yo...

It's been awhile since I've last posted in this thread...

And I have came to a conclusion...

A record company and a production company are not that different...

If you think about it, they are the SAME THING...

They "CAN" do A LOT of similar tasks...

I mean really...what can a LABEL do that a PRODUCTION COMPANY can't???

The way I see it...start whichever one you want...when you decide to open your business, the only thing that separates one from the other is what YOU DECIDE TO CALL YOUR BUSINESS...either way, it's gonna be a sole-proprietorship, partnership\LLC., or a corporation...bottom line...
 

DatBoyCharmN

New member
PlanetHitzProduction said:
:victory: Yeah! somebody gets it! Wayy too much BS on starting a label...believe me I tried...it's insane. Honestly I feel production companies are the new labels...will be moreso in the future. If I would use some imagery to describe it.... Production companies are the cooks and chefs in a takeout resturant...they use the food, *the artists* get them ready, preparing them and all that good stuff and send them for delivery....though a label's distribution.

so basically like a production company is the cooks and chefs who make(develop) the food(artists) and a record label is the actual restaurant which just serves up the food already made by the cooks and chefs?? something like that??


so if you have a production company then how would you sign an artist?? would it be the same kind of contract a record label would use??
 

emsiwun

New member
Production companies mine as well develop the artists...I mean, the artist is a guest on the production companies' product...

Same contract IMHO...
 
Top