Reason 2.5

Reason 2.5? If you were starting with no knowledge (including how synthesizers work) how long would it take you to learn the functions? Or should i start with something else?

Last edited:
[][][][]ROK[][][][] said:
Reason 2.5? If you were starting with no knowledge (including how synthesizers work) how long would it take you to learn the functions? Or should i start with something else?

It took me about 3 months of constant playing with Reason 1.0 to get used to most of the available functions but I still discover new ways of doing things with it now and when I first looked at Reason, I already knew how to use cubase 3.55 fairly well and acid pro 3 and soundforge inside out so I had some knowledge of PC audio production.

However, if you are just starting out then the question as to how long it will take you to get to grips with Reason doesn't just stop with the capabilities of the software itself. You will also have to consider the learning curve for various audio processes/synthesiser programming/sequencing/sampling/etc etc and as to how long it will take you to feel comfortable with all of these processes depends on your own application and patience.

I guess the best thing that you can do is to simply get stuck in, try the Reason Tuturial as suggested above and ask any additional questions of members here on FP, most of whom will be glad to pass on their knowledge to you.

All the best and good luck!! :D

10 years. :D
Maybe 6 months to get a pretty good idea of the basics.

well it took me 4 months to learn reason. u have to give time to it and know its features.

[][][][]ROK[][][][] said:

Well it's a bit like looking at a piano or guitar ... you can grasp the basic mechanics of what it takes to play either of those instruments in minutes, and spend years learning to play them.

Reason (and any similar collection of hardware or software) is a similar situation. You can learn what all of the basic functions are in a matter of a few days or even a few hours if you are focused and motivated ... and spend the rest of your life learning to master its capabilities.

I have been working with synthesizers since 1976 ... there are still new things I am learning everyday.

Last edited by a moderator:
I had zero previous knowledge regarding soft synths (or synths of any kind for that matter) prior to using Reason, and was able to pick it up easily in a relatively short period of time. It's all a matter of learning what each module does and how each one operates.

However, once you've learned the basics and have some background knowledge to work with, the real fun begins. Reason's beauty lies in its routing abilities; the fact that you can wire almost any one of Reason's modules into another (...into yet another, and yet another beyond that if you so desire) is what makes it such a great application. It just begs you to screw around - and the fact that you can is what makes it such an impressive tool to have on hand. As I see it, the only real limitation to Reason lies in the imagination of the person using it. It isn't a program where you simply tweak a knob and press a button and glorious sounds spring forth from your monitors - it's all about experimentation.

And for what it costs, it's an investment that's about as good as they get. It's one of the better ones I've made at any rate.

- DM

Well Rok Reason is worth Spending 400$. the tutorial cd helped me a lot to get started and get going. DM Said it good, it can take a few mins, or frew days or few weeks or even few months to learn. i have a va synth and i get up with new sounds ,when i play with it as i get free time. and its good.u come up with new sounds and new grooves even.

Give reaosn some time and concentrate u can do it more faster.:cheers:

Last edited:
i'd also suggest getting the 2.5 upgrade as soon as possible, as it adds probably the best effects in there (the advanced reverb, distortion & vocoder units).

The 2.0 tutorial should be enough to get you started for now. The 2.5 release added several new effect and routing modules, and there's a few "how to" articles on the Propellerheads site covering these new devices.

DM

Not to mention the unison fx in 2.5, which can transform crappy software sounding synths to hardware sounding synths very easily.

yes! the unison was a great addition to reason (among the other additions 2.5 offers as well). Rok you'll thoroughly enjoy experimenting with reason - it is easy to get sounds out of from the start, and it is plenty deep enough to keep you experimenting for a long time to come. like the others said, let us all know if you have questions!

Back