Questions On Phatom Power

I have a mixer that has phantom power. If you turn it on, it is on for all 8 channels. I connect my Mic into a Mic pre that has Phatom power also. Is it bad to have both the phantom power on the mic pre on, as well as the one on the board itself?

I need to do this because I have 2 condensor mics, but only have 1 mic pre. So i use the mic pre for one mic, and the board itself powers the 2nd mic.

Does this make any sense?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

TBF

Well I'm a little lost but, if your mixer has phantom power then it also has mic pres. But, the mic preamps in your mixer most likely dont have the same sound as your other preamp especially if it is a tube preamp. Now ask yourself what preamp sounds better? If it is the preamp outside the mixer than you should use it for most of your recording tasks. To answer your question better i would need to know exactly what your working with. And what you plan to record.

Last edited:
Sorry for the confusion.... I use my outboard tube mic-pre for my main vocals. Now let's say I want to record a guitar with another condensor mic. I need phantom power for that mic as well. I don't have a second mic-pre, so i have to go straight into the board.

Here lies my dilema. I will have one mic directly powered by the phantom power on the board. My other mic is already powered by my outboard tube mic-pre, going into the board that has mic-pres already with phantom power.

Does this make any sense?

Okay so your sending the output of the tube pre to the mixer. If so then you don't need to turn on the phantom power in the mixer when you are only using the output of the tube pre. BUT when you are using both mics at once you will need the phantom power on the mixer.
Still you need to ask yourself what sounds better? Im pretty sure you like the sound of your tube pre/mic combination. So I think you would benefit from recording everything through your tube preamp and investing in another one. If youve tested the other setup and you cant tell the difference then continue to use your same setup.
1!!!!!!!!!!!!

If using an external pre then you should be going 1/4" out of the pre into a 1/4" input on the mixer. The mixer likely doesn't provide phantom power on the 1/4" input but you shouldn't have phantom power on in the mixer anyways if using the pre to power the mic.

You need one mic for both functions. It'll be the cheapest and easier. The best cheap microphones are here.
I haven't seen the capsule inside the BM-800 but the more expensive mics use a double sided element with an acoustic delay disk on the rear face.
They do achieve a good cardioid response above a few hundred Hz.

Last edited:
Back