Producer royalties contract question

rolie

I’m an artist and there’s a beat I intend to buy an unlimited lease for and I want to know if the contract is pretty standard or not. I’ve looked at some other contracts before and this one seems a little different. In the contract it says the producer gets 50% of everything I make from the new recording other than the video which he gets 25% of all money earned, and 25% of all public performances… here are the exact words below. Is this pretty standard or is this abnormal? Thanks in advance

“Producer Royalties. For Producer’s production of the Beat you intend to use in the New Recording, you agree to pay Producer 50% of everything you make from the New Recording (i.e., other than in connection with the Video, which shall be subject to paragraph .

c. Video Royalties. You will pay or cause to be paid to Producer 25% of all monies you make in connection with exploitation of the Video (for example without limitation, from ad revenues in connection with monetization on YouTube, from digital or physical sales of the Video, etc.).

SoundExchange Registration: You agree that if/when you register the New Recording with SoundExchange and comparable foreign collectors of master recording public performance royalties, you will direct the same (e.g., by a letter of direction) to pay to Producer twenty-five percent (25%) of any and all public performance royalties collected in connection with the New Recording”

rhythmgj

Character in Spades...
There really isn’t a “standard contract.” It’s whatever one party asks for that the other will accept.

On the one hand, his percentages might seem kind of ballsy for a beat-lease. On the other hand, he is basically claiming songwriter portions, which of course he would be, and a major contributor at that.

Your choice. How much do you want that beat?

GJ

rolie

There really isn’t a “standard contract.” It’s whatever one party asks for that the other will accept.

On the one hand, his percentages might seem kind of ballsy for a beat-lease. On the other hand, he is basically claiming songwriter portions, which of course he would be, and a major contributor at that.

Your choice. How much do you want that beat?

GJ
Thanks for your reply. I wrote a song to the beat and the melody wouldn’t work with just any other beat so I am kind of locked in..