producer fee question

ugnaught

heres a scenario:

an up and coming producer sells a beat to an up and coming indie label for $2000 and a 2% royalty on the slrp on records sold. the producer keeps his copyright for the music while the label gets one for the lyrics. so the should be owed mechanical royaltys on units sold as composer right?

anyway, the song sells 50,000 downloads at $1 per and the net is about $ .60. the producer has 1 song on a 14 track album and that album sells 100,000 units.

how much is the producer owed? is he entitled to half (at least on the single) or what? thanx in advance.

also for what its worth. let's say the producer has a record one clause.

what does the paperwork say?

everything in this industry is about leverage and negotiation.

did you do a split sheet? did you do a work for hire?

heres a scenario:

an up and coming producer sells a beat to an up and coming indie label for $2000 and a 2% royalty on the slrp on records sold. the producer keeps his copyright for the music while the label gets one for the lyrics. so the should be owed mechanical royaltys on units sold as composer right?
Depends on what the agreement is regarding mechanical royalties.

anyway, the song sells 50,000 downloads at $1 per and the net is about $ .60. the producer has 1 song on a 14 track album and that album sells 100,000 units.

how much is the producer owed? is he entitled to half (at least on the single) or what? thanx in advance.

also for what its worth. let's say the producer has a record one clause.

Again, depends on the terms of the agreement. How is SLRP defined, and what, if any, deductions are incorporated in that definition? Also, why would you ask if he's entitled to half if you stated his royalty is 2%? Unless you're asking about mechanical royalties, in which case, again, it depends on what the agreement regarding those were.

ugnaught, I would say to see a lawyer about this. I'm sure you could get a free hour from an entertainment lawyer if you reached out to one. And like Dwells says, it's ALL in the paper work.

Also, have you heard of The One Stop Shop Producer Conference?

If you can, get to it - i think it's in May. It's at things like this where you can ask real professional producers who sell beats for a living questions like this. It's an open forum too. I was there last year and shook hands with Pete Rock, 9th wonder and a bunch of others.... very cool!

Here's a link that will give you access to info on the conference and a bunch of others where you can really get questions like this answered.

bit.ly/HotMusicConferences
(copy and paste if you need to)

Hope this helps....

Ron.

Back