Porta-Studio (Backpack-Sized)

Salem Beats

Ki from Salem-Beats.com
My portable studio (click the pic for details):

Everything fits in a backpack.
Anyone else got a portable studio?

No pics, but I have a similar setup. I'm looking for a small keyboard, but money is tight.

I have a macBook Pro, PadKontrol, and Mbox2.

I bet that Korg MicronKontrol is perfect for that use.

Yea except my backpack is 20" and the MicroKONTROL is 20.63"... Novation has a laptop backpack that's 22", so that'll work better.

Other than that, yea, you can't beat having 37 keys in your bag instead of 25.

Where are the monitors?

Good luck fitting monitors into a backpack, not to mention the fact that any room you'd take them to would have to be acoustically treated for the monitors to be of any use.

The 7506 cans take care of "accurate" monitoring, other than a very slight, soft lowpass in the sub-bass from about 20Hz-60Hz. For anything in that range, my VSTs give me an accurate FFT spectrum analysis so that I can judge my lows and tell whether they're at the appropriate level.

112db's Redline Monitor simulates an accurate stereo system crossover for phase monitoring, and gives a less extreme stereo image in the cans to better simulate an "average" stereo setup.

I also pack around 3 different grades of "consumer headphones" with me, because I think it's extremely important to be able to tell what your mix will sound like on $5 earplugs, $30 phones, and $60 phones.
The combination of these 4 sets of headphones, each with their own character (i.e. the earbuds are "bass boost" w/ a boomy, muddy sound, $30 ones are clear in the bass and treble with no mids, $60 ones are pretty balanced and high-q for a consumer pair) is enough to reliably tell how the average person will hear your mix.

Any other questions? :)

Last edited:
No pics, but I have a similar setup. I'm looking for a small keyboard, but money is tight.

I have a macBook Pro, PadKontrol, and Mbox2.

Sweet, same boat... its so nice being able to throw it all in a bag and take it to someone's place, or a school, or an event, etc.

whats a good laptop to get to run fruityloops with a few VSTs (Trilogy l. cell, d. pro rapture) and efx (ozone 3, and a few modern vsts)

Depends on your budget. I am not sure if FL studio is multi-threaded, if it is, I would go for a quad core if your budget allows. You'll have 4 cores, but generally dollar for dollar quad cores will be lower clock frequency. If FL isn't multi-threaded, then go for a high frequency dual core. Check the cache size on the processor as well. You'll have to do some research to find the best $:speed. At some point you will pay 30% more money for about 5% more performance, so look for that line.

A ton of fast RAM, and don't buy the RAM from the company you buy the laptop from, they always over charge. Check the number of RAM slots as well. DDR3 is pretty common, but it's triple channel, so using 2 slots is not going to be taking full advantage. Also it has to be matched sets, usually you can buy kits.

Back