Opinions on the subculture of rap

Sparrow

over the past 5 years it seems like hip hop has become more about the artists street credibility than how good their music is. Hyperviolence is way overglorified and to me not balanced with any spirituality. Maybe it's a part of the new generation of unrepetent materialism at all costs selfishness, I dunno.

Back to topic, in other words who has more credibility as artists apparently is coming from having the best credibility as criminals. So dudes are doing everything in their power to show the world how dirty and hard they are on youtube/myspace etc. even goin over the top with the silly videos. It's almost as if you don't do dirt or run on youtube showing off and talking about hurtin some other cat on youtube or showing off your guns and how much dope you sold or showin which blocks you run that no one wants to know about what you got to say as an artist. So for it has created an era of youtube artists that spend more time beefin than actually rappin, and some of them cant even rap but are given a pass because of their street cred.

Has street cred become more important than skills. Has being a "gangsta" become a liscence to have a rap career.

I will admit I did dirt as a shorty, but that was ages ago, so I cant rap about dirt. I don't do dirt. I have a couple opf guns, butthey legal and they stay in the crib to protect my crib because I have two daughters. I still smoke drink and get out and party a bit, but I don't bang, I try to stay on the humble, and even though I have homeboys that are still wild and out there, I for the most part do not get mixed up in any drama.

Yet more and more I am startin to feel like putting my new album will be a waste of time.

Yeah I spit about partyin, smokin, drinkin, and rollin, but I also rap a little more about just average peoples life, bills, havin kids, my shorty wifey, etc. so in essence I can't really spit about killin, robbin, ridin, and doin dirt and being hard at all cuz I'm . Don't get me wrong I'm not a punk at all I'm just older, and have enough stripes from the old days I guess and if I had to protect what I loved, I'd stand up and walk tall, but i wouldn't rap about being a thug or hard because Im not a thug, and I don't ride dirty lo.

Is there a market for people like me anymore?

Is the game more about youtube videos and bossip stuff and street exploits? Is the game for a old dude like me anymore?

Last edited:
its not about credibilty cause you have people like lil wayne, soulja boy, jibbs, and etc raps about **** that they dont do at all.. its still the age of studio gangsta.. you can rap about murder, pimping, selling dope, and having guns still get away with it.. as long as you got catchy hooks and dance beats.. these fans dont care about if you did the dirt or not they will accept anything now cause people now dont think for themselves.. they let the media think for them on what should be accepted.. these arent the times of vanillia ice and milli vanilli.. where if you are fake your career is ended.. it seems now the more fake you are.. the more successful

^^tru kuz i gotta good friend who alwaiis listens to lil wayne but wen some1 gets in an argument with him over lil wayne he openly says "lil wayne is a b**ch but i still bump his muzik kuz its hot..i dont kare if ne1 ghost wrote for him kuz hes sayin it"...that bothers me but hey im not him

theme music for thugs or those that want to be, nothin sell better then **** that caters to peoples wants - being materialistic used to be at least a lil bit shunned, now that cats are glorifying it people just buy the music cause thats what they want to hear. Its sad, and now if someone speaks out against in the music they get clowned cause no one wants to hear **** that makes them feel bad about themselves. Its all about instant gratification at all costs, and once it starts i think its REALLY hard to stop.

Music is an art. Just like actin painting, etc. We see actors play as gangsters, murders, and drug dealers. But we know that person is not a one those charaters. So thats whats these rapper are doing. They are in charater.

Just because you lived it doesnt mean it'll make you an better artists.
We all know that most of these rappers never shot a gun, deal drugs, or own blocks. But we still listen to them. I listen to them. Some of them make it sound so beliveble. Thats all good to me. Ice Cube still rap gangster music but I know he aint out there doing thst ish for real.

Some do it for street cred. But never been in the streets.

But there is a market for all of it. Even what you're doing SPARROW.

At the end of the day it's all about the music.

THE RULER said:
Music is an art. Just like actin painting, etc. We see actors play as gangsters, murders, and drug dealers. But we know that person is not a one those charaters. So thats whats these rapper are doing. They are in charater.

Just because you lived it doesnt mean it'll make you an better artists.
We all know that most of these rappers never shot a gun, deal drugs, or own blocks. But we still listen to them. I listen to them. Some of them make it sound so beliveble. Thats all good to me. Ice Cube still rap gangster music but I know he aint out there doing thst ish for real.

Some do it for street cred. But never been in the streets.

But there is a market for all of it. Even what you're doing SPARROW.

At the end of the day it's all about the music.

true

but I just cant do anything but me. I guess I msensitive. I donr put my hard work into this album and i feel like niggas will turn it off just cuz I aint blowd some niggas head off with a mossberg, or done some dance about sniffin coke mixed with xanax and made a slang name for it. The all I see on youtube gettin all them clicks is ignorant ish. Niggas interviewing themselves and showin off some gun and getting congradulated ofr it. For real, i dont know if I even want to expose my family to that if I have tto grind with elements like that to get it out there.

This thread is quite old, but the question of a subculture of rap is still relevant.
A lot of rapers still have songs about murders, guns and so on, but not all of them.
Rap industry has been transformed, and I think that it's now just a stereotype that you can succeed only writing about drugs, etc

Oh, it's a fascinating thread. I've never thought about rap from perspectives of subculture. It's an interesting theme, but I've tried to Google some info about it and haven't found something worth reading about. I think that now the subculture of rap is different than it used to be. Of course, many rappers write songs about guns and stuff, but some of them rap about different issues. For me, subcultures are fascinating, and I can advise checking one source to find more info related to that topic. When I was discussing that topic in the university, I learned that subculture is not only about having a piercing, wearing black clothes, and calling yourself a goth. That source showed what subculture is from different perspectives. And now I think I'll try to find more about the rap subculture.

Last edited:
Back