Oakey and DATs

Do you think Oakenfold truly uses pre-recorded sets when live?

• Yes, he does.

Votes: 12 38.7%
  • No, he doesn't.

Votes: 3 9.7%
  • I will need to see for myself.

Votes: 16 51.6%

• Total voters

VegasAfter10

Yes, it is true he uses DATs! I am the one that originally was told, by the club's music director himself, about how Oakenfold uses DATs to play a pre-recorded set.

He has this in his contract. He will play a two hour set, half of which is played off of the DAT while he "pretends" to spin either white-labels or the actual track.

I had read about this in UK magazines, and now know firsthand about it. Don't be duped. Later.:victory:

Walt

none

I never said there was a point. I'm just curious to get a good demographic as far as who the users are on this board in order to see what I can post. That's actually the "point" of every poll out there.....for research.

Walt:victory:

all I'm saying is if he does use a dat pretending to be spinnin, he lost all my respect and he's a big insult for all of us dj's :mad:

what the hell kind of crack are you smoking? oakey doesnt play pre recorded sets off dat and pretend to spin. at least not in clubs. on radio yes most sets are pre-recorded. not in clubs. yes i have seen him spin. you guys are just full of it and are jealous of his success.

maybe your right...

Undercurrent said:
what the hell kind of crack are you smoking? oakey doesnt play pre recorded sets off dat and pretend to spin. at least not in clubs. on radio yes most sets are pre-recorded. not in clubs. yes i have seen him spin. you guys are just full of it and are jealous of his success.

Not jealous...that is just the info that we have discovered. And yes you saw him spin, but was he pretending to spin?

G

I dont know if he uses DATs or not...I will have to see for myself, which is what i voted....Furthermore, I'm not jealous of his success, I am jealous of Bill Gates, because if i was him, I could buy oakenfold,his records, his dats, and his girls and all this wouldnt matter. Iets all have a drink and forget the whole damn thing.
:cheers:

Last edited by a moderator:
Rhythm Addict said:
Furthermore, I'm not jealous of his success, I am jealous of Bill Gates, because if i was him, I could buy oakenfold,his records, his dats, and his girls and all this wouldnt matter. Iets all have a drink and forget the whole damn thing.

Well said!

G

To be honest with everyone here, I would live to get paid to spin a pre-recorded set ,picture it you can chill not worry about the monitors and concentrating on the mixing.You can chill smoke cigarettes, talk, and get paid at the same time...Sweet...But really if the club owners let him do it more power to him.I wish I was...

Who cares....you don't go to an Oakie show for his DJ skills now do you.....you go for the music.....If I wan't to see a DJ mix music like a champ I would go see Kid Koala or Mix Master......it's about the MUSIC not the dj....

no when i saw oakey spin he spun live, i know the people that run the club where he played, they dont even have a dat player. besides, oakey fluffed up his mixes. and it would be harder to act out mixing and not get caught out then it would be to mix.

hey ya'll i just saw oakey in arizona and he messed up a few times. he even knocked the arm off the record and the music stopped. it was great! so yeah, i would say he does'nt use a DAT player unless he wanted to play 3 and 1/2 hour set with mistakes in it.

rawk on!!

Well, I really am dissapointed now. This is worse than when they told me that the "Iron Chef" show is rigged!!! I think i'd still have to see for myself, but if I find out for sure that it's true, I think his poster iz coming down off my wall...

It's a sad day for me :(

Tranceiant:
hey dont be sad man, oakenfold is still god.
his shows are not rigged and he is bad bad man
he rocks and the day that it's proved to me otherwise will be a sad day indeed
i dont think that day is comming soon
so keep that poster up and never stop believing

trance is the light

I'd have to see it for myself, but there is a possibility, since Oakie's such a big big BIG name, people would most likely dance to Debussy if he spun that so he doesn't need to read the dancefloor that much. Plus, I'm sure he knows what will get people off their knobs, so maybe he doesn't need to do much flicking in his boxes.

I think this is actually quite common, as I have witnessed a pretty renowned DJ spin exclusively mix CDs all night, the only mixing he did was when he changed from one mix CD to another when the first one ended. He must have made like 3 real mixes in total, during the span of a 4-hour set. Cheating, I know, but unfortunately people often come just for the DJ, not the music.

Back