NO MORE Hip- Hop/Rap (True Story)/ Challange

Dj Richmix

Nonexsistant
Hello FP, my name is King's Kidd... And I'm..... a Hip- hop/ Rap addict. Well at least I used to be. I was that kid that would be feenin for a new Freddie Gibbs, Chance the Rapper, Kendrick, Jeezy, Gotti, or who ever to drop a new mixtape or single [*except YMCMB(yuck)*]
My daily convos would be like "Bruh you heard that new Flatbush Zombies!!!! You SLEEP!!" I was also educated on the foundation as well. On my Zune(yes Zune) you'll see The Pharcyde, De La Soul, Black Star, A Tribe Called Quest, ect. People would always thank me for putting them on artist they had no idea existed. I took pride in what I was in my community. N I loved the beats I was producing as well. 808s Knocking! Until 1 day, I met this woman, she looked like she was in her mid- 30s, at a local coffee shop in my city during a poetry slam. She heard some hip- hop music playing through my headphones and started laughing. Looking dead at me. In my mind I was like " DAFUQ!?" So I approached her. Long story short, she started bashing my choice of music, and me being an addict, defended with every exhale of breath. But then she shot me....She said" Your just an average, there's so many other artists out there but you cling to your "culture" given to you by society. Explore other genres Jit" Ouch...... I paused, and she noticed her words hit me. She told me to follow her to her car. A young man could only be thinkin" She wants the d***" When she opened her trunk, I was surprised to what she showed me. CRATES FILLED WITH RECORDS!!! My mind was blown, I knew 2% of the names in her catalog. And she knew all of the names and albums on my Zune. WHO IS THIS LADY??!! When I asked, she replied " A Music Addict, It might be time for you to upgrade kid" She challenged me not to listen to any Hip- Hop/ Rap for a whole month, and I couldn't go running to dance music either. Rock, Reggae, Classical, country, Jazz and all of their sub- genres only. She handed me a 30 gb Ipod video 80% filled with artists and albums, and I had to promise her to meet her back there in a month. Why me??? At first I was thinkin " She's TRIPPIN" but then I thought why not.

In two weeks it makes 8 months scince I've listened to a Hip-Hop/ Rap song seriously. No mixtape downloads. No album skimming. I like Dance Gavin Dance, Thelonious monk, Shuggie Otis, Lambchop, Radiohead, Barrington Levy, Mogwai, and a whole lot more I was ignorant to in the past. No more clouded judgement. It heavily influenced my production as well. I'm a completely different Producer. I evolved into a Music Addict. I'll go to any concert. It feels good. I only did it, cause i was challenged. Huh

I CHALLENGE EVERY HIP-HOP PRODUCER ON FP!!!!!!! TWO WEEKS, NO HIP-HOP!!!!! PERIOD!!!! Do some research before you say I LOVE MUSIC;)

Good story... I grew up with both my older brothers into all sorts of Rock and have always had a completely open mind to all sorts of music.

My iPod has all sorts on it, if someone were to scan through my library they'd have no idea which music style was my preferance!

Always had a soft spot for hip-hop/rap though - and thats what i'm looking into starting to produce now... I play the guitar a bit (still learning) and know my taste for all kinds of music will inspire anything I produce.

Back