New to Production. What you need to know?

Destinationup

When you are starting out as a new person completely oblivious to the world of production we tend to ask a lot of questions about basic things. What type of computer, interface should I have? What software is the best to get? This is the forum for that.

I would like to keep this a positive thread. I don't need egos coming into the thread trying to start things. Me as a rookie I have made some big mistakes when starting out. So please vets as well as mods please keep the disrespect to yourselves. I am just trying to steer new people in a new arena or maybe people who want to upgrade.

It is ok to correct me if I'm wrong just keep it respectful.

PCI interface - M-AUDIO 1010. goes inside computer in a PCI slot that is open on motherboard.
Firewire Interface
USB interface - Focusrite Saffire Pro 6

These are three different types of interfaces that you can get. PCI, FIREWIRE & USB.
You can't go wrong with any of the three. But when buying USB and you are starting out try not to buy low end USB interfaces. They give the most trouble. Spend about 160 or higher and you should have a decent USB interface.

PCI interfaces tend to beat out the other two when installed properly in terms of latency and other recording issues.

Firewire is in between with me for now. I just bought one myself.

When buying an interface ask yourself this question: What do I want to do? Audio only? Midi only? or both?

Audio only interfaces are probably cheaper and you don't need to pay for the MIDI technology.

20-145-298-Z03.jpg11-146-025-28.jpg

I guess it depends on what you wanna do. Building a computer will be expensive, I went down that road and spent almost a thousand.
Cheap route: Buy a store bought computer, buy a motherboard and RAM. If you don't like the processor it came with just buy a dual core. You will be fine. When buying separate parts you may be able to save by buying combo deals off sites like www.newegg.com. www.tigerdirect.com

CORSAIR and KINGSTON are good RAM to go with.

19-103-849-TS.jpg
19-115-071-TS.jpg

AMD and Intel are the only processors out really that I know of. Intel is more expensive as a matter of experience you would not be able to tell the difference between the two.

I'm rocking AMD and will upgrade in a few years to more cores if it is needed. I am very happy with my processor. I have a quad core phenom processor.

So for people starting out don't buy into the hype that you have to have the biggest or the most popular thing. The most popular might not be right for you. With that being said I recommend AMD.

record-boxshot-55019fbaccadebe25105d626c9954a7d.jpg87997-dad8fc8613b8d75b9ef842f1919928da.jpgableton_live-intro_packshot_left_rgb_clipped-a717d674beb7e732af37f9a547924f36.jpg
I don't use either of these product. Ableton live came with my new firewire interface but I haven't been able to use it yet.

It depends on what all you want to do I guess. but I think they are all equal. They say Pro Tools is the best of the best but I'm not impressed. Just read up you might not even need producer's edition if you are audio only from your keyboard. If you are audio only you can just record your audio. They are charging you out the ass for those virtual instruments it comes with so don't pay for something you not going to use. If you like playing with MIDI you might want to go with right in between or something.

desktop-computer.jpgLaptop-Computers-365---4-785194.jpg

Laptop vs. Desktop

I recommend Desktop. The only time you should really go with a laptop is when you need to be more mobile.

When you are primarily computer recording, you need a computer you can rely on. Laptops have shorter lifespans than a desktop.

Your computer and your audio interface are you most important purchases. They will make or break you. Protect your investment at all costs.

KS61es_3qtr_rgb-545b2ffd2db6933759a8c14ffc38cab0.jpgMM6_downshot-f7950af5847c506522d544ce598898bc.jpgmpk49_top_lg_clipped-861aeae943fc5a48bc0e88051566f0fb.jpg

This is your next purchase by this point. Have you decided MIDI only, AUDIO only? Both?
The first is a picture of a simple midi controller. Keep in mind that this controller has no sound it just controls messages from the computer. This would be for MIDI only of course.

The second is the YAMAHA MM6 it is an actual synth keyboard. It has it's own sound and can also be used as a controller you just have to make sure to change your settings in the keyboard. I use this keboard and I love it. This will go for either category.

AKAI MPK 49 was almost my first. I decided to get the MM6. From what I hear it's pretty good and it comes in 88key now. Also comes bundled with software which a lot of keyboards and interfaces do.
Don't take my word for it but I believe this has a thru so you can have it hooked up to another keyboard or sound source. So I guess this could be either category as well. But none the less it is MIDI only even if it has MIDI thru.

b2031P_big-e1a4b5c9876825c92751ffd4cf252ad7.jpgrpm3_angle_lg-70c5d25975d07d34fe5549a31bc53897.jpgM-1_320_front-4219567b2f227225770bcb9bb36aea3f.jpg

Trust me you do not want record for hours wearing headphones. You will get a headache that will make you want to kill yourself. And can also permanently damage your ears.:bigeyes:

For beginners I would recommend active powered monitors. It comes with it's own power supply and you will not have to worry about pre-amps not working one day or whatever.

There's nothing wrong with passive monitors. They are really good monitor's but you would need a good pre-amp and it might not work as well if the pre-amp is bad. Some people might actually think it's their monitors.

You can't go wrong with either type of monitor.

But I do know that behringer have some of the best monitors I have heard on the market. Probably the best. People can argue against this of course. I personally have one monitor and it's a krk rokit 5. I like the sound and am waiting to get a hold of 149 to buy the other one. haha:rolleyes:

Just let me know if you have questions. I will do my best to answer them or find someone who can answer them. I know a little bit more now. I don't know all. I do not claim to be a pro or in no shape or form of one.;)

To start out with...are audio kits good to go with? The one on my other post is $249 for studio mic and headphones, audio software, and a usb interface

To start out with...are audio kits good to go with? The one on my other post is $249 for studio mic and headphones, audio software, and a usb interface
By audio kits I will assume you mean bundled package. For a starter it would be ok to try out. I'll tell you this though don't expect to have the best gear. In my experience when I bought bundled packages with mics and headphones they were usually crappy headphones and mics. The headphones would give out within a matter of months.

But I will tell you this do not buy Tascam bundles. Do not buy their headphones and do not buy beats for headphones either.

Well the mic will probably be better than the one i am using now. And could you tell me some good headphones to get

Are you buying online?
if so I would recommend using zzounds and or american musical supply. You may be budget constrained but with zzounds they have a payment plan. There is an order min buy price though which is at least 249 but it doesn't have to be fore one item. and that bundle you are thinking about qualifies. AKGs are pretty good from what I have heard. Sennheisers are pretty good these were my first pair. mine were low end but you could pop out the extra 20 for the better ones. Unfortunately I couldn't afford it back then. You could try some behringers since they have been so good with designing studio monitors they should know what they are doing with headphones right??
well anyways if you go with AKG or Sennheisers you should be just fine. I heard some good things about this brand too. Audio-Technica ATH-D40fs Monitor Headphones at zZounds

Mics
If you are recording a singer you need a condenser mic. You'll get the best results. If not you can record with any old mic.
Behringer
AKG Perception Series (really good)
Rode
Studio Projects

I myself am going to try out the AKGs when i upgrade.

ok and any specific interface i would need. I am only looking forward to recording vocals for hip-hop. A condenser mic is still the right way to go with this right?

ok and any specific interface i would need. I am only looking forward to recording vocals for hip-hop. A condenser mic is still the right way to go with this right?

Yes a condenser mic will be the way to go. Thanks for clearing up the vocals only part. Now I can better assist you. How many mic inputs do you want?

M-Audio Fast Track MKII Audio Interface at zZounds
M-Audio MobilePre USB Audio Interface, Version 2 at zZounds
M-Audio DMP3 Dual Preamplifier at zZounds Check this out. I don't too much about this but it got a pretty good review on zzounds. Just look for more. Looks pretty good for doing vocals.

Tascam US-800 USB Audio Interface at zZounds I dont support Tascam but you can try them. I've had a bad experience and I'm not buying another Tascam product until they get their act together.
Of course you can still consider that Presonus Audiobox but it has more than you need but might actually end up having a use for the extras.

So you were right with getting a laptop for this.

I want an interface that comes with two mic inputs. And i am not exactly made of money so do these interfaces come with a software(Ex protools)?

---------- Post added at 09:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:54 PM ----------

i was also looking at an Avid Mbox 3rd edition that somes with Protools LE

I want an interface that comes with two mic inputs. And i am not exactly made of money so do these interfaces come with a software(Ex protools)?

---------- Post added at 09:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:54 PM ----------

i was also looking at an Avid Mbox 3rd edition that somes with Protools LE

If you could tell me some type of budget I could try to help further? 300 500 600

Fastrack MKII comes with Protools SE. The first link posted.
mobile pre2nd link comes with protools m powered essentials edition.
Roland UA-55 Quad Capture USB 2.0 Audio Interface at zZounds Sonar X1 essentials comes with this.

The one that comes with sonar looks okay to start out with. But i have a descent amount of things to buy.
Mic- Rode nt1000 or nt2000
Headphones- akg 141 studio headphones
Interface- Roland ua-55 quad capture

Is this a good starting setup. I have been looking at the features of each of these things and like these out of the rest I have seen

The one that comes with sonar looks okay to start out with. But i have a descent amount of things to buy.
Mic- Rode nt1000 or nt2000
Headphones- akg 141 studio headphones
Interface- Roland ua-55 quad capture

Is this a good starting setup. I have been looking at the features of each of these things and like these out of the rest I have seen

Yes this package will be good to start with.
I guess you really like that Rode mic.
Those headphones are probably pretty good. At the end of the day still try to go for that 4 payment plan. Pay as you play. Try to get a feel for the interface before buying the entire thing up.

Back