New Guitar Purchase-Need Advice

Salt-Slasher

I am about to purchase a new Axe, and I need some help.
The influences that I want to play like are Skinny Puppy, NIN, Manson, Rush, but mainly an industrial Rock or licks for electronica like SP.

So I have a few guitars that I am looking at, and I want some advice.
First is the J5 Telecaster Squire-375$
Second is the Les Paul Goth Studio Epiphone- 350$

These are two I am looking at, which are totally awesome, I have heard they are sweet. I am just having a hard time picking between the two.

Any advice would help, or any other recommendations.

---------- Post added 08-20-2010 at 01:11 AM ---------- Previous post was 08-19-2010 at 11:09 PM ----------

I have re searched, and from I gathered the Squir J5 has a lot of problems with wiring and buzzing and what not.
Out of hundreds of of reviews the Goth Les Paul Studio is more than likely going to be my new baby. I really couldn't find that much bad things as far as hardware goes. Mainly its the ol saying, Its not the instrument, its the musician!! If I had more cash I would just get me a PRS or a real Les Paul!

i know 3 weeks is late but if you havent bought it yet or want future reference (assuming your new to guitars lol)its more about feel trust me i wanted a les paul soo bad and i went to guitar center and most of them i couldnt really play i didnt like the feel of it at all then i picked up an ibanez one of the rg series and i love it btw the guitars tone helps alot depending on the genre but if your playing rock with distortion which it looks like your doing it covers up the tone but i would recomend trying an ibenez rg,and a fender tele

I agree with conzcept there. It really is about feel. Some guitars do sound better than others. Even if your running them through pedals. Ive been using the same guitar for 10 years for most everything i do. I do have others but i just like the feel of it and it was only like $100. Ive put new EMG pick ups in it since i first got it to get a better sound, but its still was a good guitar. You just need to find something that works good for you no matter the name or style that it is if your really wanting to do well with it.

Same as above! Moreover, you gotta go to the store and try it, and not just hold it in your hand, really check it out closely. There's 300 buck squiers out there that play better than a Les Paul studio, there's bad apples in every batch.

Focus on 'hand feel'. How's the neck? The frets? Put a strap on it (no pun intended) and wear it? Is it heavy? Can you imagine yourself having a blast with it every day? Does it speak to you?

don't worry about sound, pickups, buzz....you can always switch pickups, buy amps, pedals, take it to a luthier to really put it in shape etc....firstly, you really need to love that wood (no pun intended)! Do not make an impulse buy, and remember to have fun when you go check out the stores....you might end up with something completely different than you plan, and it just might make your day, month or year!!!

Peace

Back