need help with EVERYTHING!

A

Andrea

Hello! Im new to all of this, and i have no clue where to start! im really confussed about everything, like what do u get to make these sounds, do u do it on your computer or do u need like a synthesizer to do it all? c as you can tell im really confussed! so if anyone could tell me step by step on how to get started i would really appreciate it! thanx so much =)

Hi Andrea...and welcome to OnlineDJ ! :)

Well to answer you, you can create music only with computers softs, but also without computers, or using both synths and computers ! There are a lot of possibilities ! :D

What kind of music do you want to create ? Have you got already a musical background (piano,...) ? What kind of computer do you have ?

First of all:
Welcome to OnlineDj, we're happy to see you! You can learn alot here, believe me!

Now, About your question:
Well... Here's the thing:

1) You can compose music like I do:
Fairly cheap on a computer, (I have an OLD synth too).

I use so-called software synths to make the sounds. And sometimes my keyboard to control notes and volumes.

2) Or:
On alot of expensive hardware, with a sequencer, a synth, and maybe a drummachine + alot of effects.
If you aren't loaded, I suggest you don't ask any more questions about this part:

3) Or:
Like ManoOne is doing.
Using a computer to control a hardware synthesiser (In his case: Acces - Virus B)

It all depends on how many money you wan't to spend and on how keen you are on getting into the music buissness.

We'll try to help you with anything you ask, but your question for now is very broad. It actually covers every aspect of the buissness.
Search your soul and you'll find the answer to what you want. (hehe :D) Then we can guide you to other threads or simply help you rigth here!

me again

Hello again, i was listening to this song, and this guy had his voice in with his music, how would he of done that? Cause i wanna do something like that cause it sounds cool, in case your wondering why im so dumb at this, its because i came from a "punk" background, big change huh! ANd also do people that make this kind of music play live? well thanx once again! Im trying the rebirth thing, im starting to get the hang of it now! =)

Re: me again

Andrea said:
Im trying the rebirth thing, im starting to get the hang of it now! =)

Is the tutorial helping :D ?

Some are playing live.. However, you should master the electronic composition in the studio before you think about playing on stage... If you are *mainly* a stage guy, forget the computer and get a KORG Electribe S (realtime sampler, with easy live control).

As about the voice in the music, if you are writing your song in cubase, simply add an audio track and record your voice on the top of the MIDI tracks, and add effects to the recording as needed.

I hope this doesn't sound too complicated to you.. I mentionned Cubase, it is a sequencer... Maybe a tutorial would be needed :) (hehe there are tons of tutorials to publish now in the onlineDJ.com todo list).

Good luck. Post any question.. And be as specific as you can

[Edited by ManoOne on 10-10-2000 at 08:22 PM]

If you want to add audio in Rebirth, you have to use the MOD-Packer to create your own sound libraries, maybe one of us should make a tiny tutorial on the subject?

Yeah, but having a whole voice track over a song is not too possible in Rebirth I think (as far as singing freely over the song). I was seeing more a multitrack thing like a sequencer.

He can even export his rebirth song as a WAV, import it on a Cubase audio track, create a new cubase audio track and record on it. How about that?

Good Idea.
My thinking is of course in the trance dimention where 1-3 voice samples is more than enough. Most of the time 0 samples is enough even.
I if you want song on the entire track I see no reason not to use Cubase or even Buzz. Would be alot easier.

where?

So where do you get all this software? And im still confussed about the audio thing

Every software can be bought at the official site of the software or developpers. Search the "music portal" on onlineDJ.com typing the software name.

The audio thing:

What we were saying is.. If you want to sing along over all the song (ie a whole track of lyrics) what you can do is compose your song in Rebirth, and export it as a WAV file (this is explained in the 16 pages tutorial about Rebirth on this site) and then open Cubase or another sequencer (Cubasis is a lite verison, almost free, great to start sequencing), import the rebirth song file on an audio track in the sequencer, and record your voice on the top of it on another track. You can plug a microphone directly on your soundcard and record, it would work for now.

Hope this helps.

A tutorial on "Getting started with MIDI" will be out soon, as well as "Understanding the basics".

You can download a demo version of cubasis, and other steinberg stuff at www.steinberg.de...it's a demo version, so you won't be able to save your work, but it can give you an idea how it works.

I don't know if cubasis allows it, but you can use Rewire to have your rebirth songs on the cubase mixer and use EQ, FX plug-ins on it. So you can record your voice on an audio track and still have the ability to modify your rebirth's song until it's perfect.

dudes!

theres so many possibilities! :) I think it might be a good idea if I do some tutorials as well if thats ok?

It might not be the 'correct' way though through my experience, any way is a good way, its not what u use, its what you do with it......

Mano, ok if I add a tute?

If you want to you can pull the tute for converting Mp3 to audio with Goldwave as I will be creating a Goldwave series of tutorials covering basic wave editing, which will be good here, its not as cool as Sound forge though hey, its another tool to the toolbox.

check ya later

dafluxtah
http://www.mp3.com/dafluxtah

superman said:
Well Fluxtah, email me at mclement@onlineDJ.com with a small paragraph explaining the goal of the tutorial or article. There are some rules and things to avoid/do that I'll email you once your paragraph is approved.

email me before you start doing any layout, Thanks for being part of it :)

Take care

Mano is superman ??? superman is mano ???? or is it a bug ?

God it's the twilight zone ! :D

I don't know what happened. I checked the log and there was a database error somewhere. Here is the message I wanted to post:

Well Fluxtah, email me at mclement@onlineDJ.com with a small paragraph explaining the goal of the tutorial or article. There are some rules and things to avoid/do that I'll email you once your paragraph is approved.

email me before you start doing any layout, Thanks for being part of it :)

Take care

Back