SCWbeats

Im 16 and building a home recording studio. So far i brought a acer laptop
Citronic cl204dsp mixer
Citronic cl-22 compressor
I now need monitors
Audio interface
Condensor mic
I want reverb and vocal effect modules.
Im on a budget of 250-300 for monitor, 200 audio interface, 350 condensor mic & the reverb and vocal effects maybe £600. But what equipment should i buy & would this budget get me a good setup to build on?

---------- Post added at 06:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:55 PM ----------

Anybody help?

Since you are buying an interface I'm assuming you're planning to record on the computer, which brings about the question, why on earth do you want to buy outboard processors???? They're a pain to setup with recording software properly, and many recording programs (Cubase, Logic, Pro Tools) come with a bunch of vst versions of high end outboard processors, and the vst versions sound pretty much identical. Just sayin'

Your set up is a little extreme... but hell least you got your head some were. i hope you use it and not just set up a studio to sound cool. personally i got a MPC1000, amp, bass, laptop, and fruity loops. and i create everything and anything i ever needed.

Since you are buying an interface I'm assuming you're planning to record on the computer, which brings about the question, why on earth do you want to buy outboard processors???? They're a pain to setup with recording software properly, and many recording programs (Cubase, Logic, Pro Tools) come with a bunch of vst versions of high end outboard processors, and the vst versions sound pretty much identical. Just sayin'

Well i think that outboard modules will give me more quality when recording that vst effects, am i right?

---------- Post added at 11:40 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:37 AM ----------

Your set up is a little extreme... but hell least you got your head some were. i hope you use it and not just set up a studio to sound cool. personally i got a MPC1000, amp, bass, laptop, and fruity loops. and i create everything and anything i ever needed.

Nope, my moneys tight im only buying things i need for good quality.
What equipment do you suggest?
How much did your mpc cost?

Being that your new and just starting out, I say get just enough to work with to over come any learning curves. Right now I dont think you need any outboard gear being that you current DAWs are almost becomging self contained. Sell the gear!!! My list for a newbie:

1. Mbox Mini - $300 or less -> with this you'll get the audio interface as well as your main 'industry standard' ProTools 8 Le DAW.
2. 49 Keyboard Controller - $100
3. Studio Monitors - I dont have the best knowledge of 'brand' but you can get the Behringer Truth B2030P for under $150
4. Mic - $100 -> you can find a fairly 'decent' mic for that price

If you have any extra money to spend I say get either NI Komplete 6 or the PT Expansion pack. With either you'll be set for sounds as well as intstruments.

Once again: IMO

Last edited:
outboard fx is NOT gonna = better quality

you can get the same job done with plugins for way less.

if you wana buy some solid plugins that dont cost a arm and a leg, then look up "stillwell audio plugins"

since you kinda got your head wrapped around the idea that you wana spend a good amount of money on this studio let make sure you get your priorities correct.

first and fore most, are you gonna need multiple inputs? ie: are you gonna record multiple sources at once? if not and you only plan on recording vocal takes, then im sorry to say but you kinda wasted ur money on buying a mixer.

if my assumptions are correct and your only recording your own voice then take that mixer back to where ever you bought it , return it and then buy yourself a PREAMP!

if your a noob, then id bet my bottom dollar if we were to do a blind test and i were to play a vocal take with reverb processing from a plugin and then one from a outboard fx YOU (im not saying everyone) wouldnt beable to tell me which one was which.point is....your new, start out slow. plugins will get you to where your trying to go just the same.

take that money that you were planning on spending on outboard gear and buy a good pair of monitors, a good condenser mic, and sound
treatment.

honestly reguardless of weather the mixer is of any real use to you. you still needa think about buying a preamp if you plan on recording vocals.

moral a the story,

you could skip out on buying outboard fx and processor and no one would ever know.

BUT.....

if you cheap out/corner cut on...a good mic, good monitors, good sound treatment, good preamp.then trust me all the seasoned vets will beable to spot the quality difference a mile away.

dont go cheap on ur mic.if you got a crappy mic then your gonna have crappy recordings.

dont cheap out on ur monitors or treatment either.how can you provide a proper mix if you dont truly know what your hearing?

skip the reverb rack and get some plugins. youll thank me later.

good luck.

Last edited:
i remember when i was u ... 2 years ago so ill tell you what i know an learned a while ago first off starting out now a days software is the way to go unless your going to strike it rich anytime soon then you could go harware but thats a non given so software is the route u wanna go starting new and ill list the dont first:

- dont go buying hardware before u pick your DAW(Digital Audio Workstation) FIRST! unless your getting any of the mbox products cause the come with Protools they only exception.
- dont buy a midi controller til you know what works for u what i mean is weather u work better with pads or keys some even prefer mouse an typing keyboard when using fl some being the primary word but a good all around is the m audio axiom 25-61 brand of midi keyboards note these are midi keyboards they make no sounds on there own!
- dont go cheap on your monitors now im still doing this part myself but you need to analyze your space good monitors can sound bad if they arent in the right space in the first place so if possible treat your space cant give anymore on this still havent finished my studio for this reason
now the do's learn your style copying in fine but if you dont make it your own its plagerism side note dont go an copy an exact part
- also pick up an instrument other than drums gurantee you will enjoy your time more with a little music theory to work from nothing wrong with drums but drums have there own structure thats different from say piano or sax

thats all i can think of at the moment so stuff u should look at with your budget:

- m audio axiom 25 if you dont play the keys that much if you do 49 but if your a wiz at the keys 61 i know a few 88 key midis but not in this range

- monitors small space too many to suggest just one pair so ill name the companies i suggest krk, maudio, behringer, and yamaha if you saved money some were else on the list but if you wanna go big for just under 300 you could get a pair of behringer 2031A Monitors but note u will need to buy a sub to acompany this down the road
- last but not least there are thosands of vst's on the net im talking free here use them but if you wnat to spend a lil cash to save time native instruments makes some great vsts and im going to tell u this stright always if possible try before u buy NI lets you use and i suggest u get this still use mine now kore player its free and its a great vst set an its just the sampler!

yeah now mics to each his own
but note there is an alternative to everything in music production but u gotta research it ...

do not fell like spell checking iphone keyboard ....

Last edited:
Being that your new and just starting out, I say get just enough to work with to over come any learning curves. Right now I dont think you need any outboard gear being that you current DAWs are almost becomging self contained. Sell the gear!!! My list for a newbie:

1. Mbox Mini - $300 or less -> with this you'll get the audio interface as well as your main 'industry standard' ProTools 8 Le DAW.
2. 49 Keyboard Controller - $100
3. Studio Monitors - I dont have the best knowledge of 'brand' but you can get the Behringer Truth B2030P for under $150
4. Mic - $100 -> you can find a fairly 'decent' mic for that price

If you have any extra money to spend I say get either NI Komplete 6 or the PT Expansion pack. With either you'll be set for sounds as well as intstruments.

Once again: IMO

Im not new i know my way around a studio iv been beat making for 2 years & have worked voluntree at a studio for the experience. But
I all ready use reason 4 & starting to use cubase 5 for recording, will i need to spend that much on a audio interface? The behringer truth are good i was thinking about getting them, i have a roland midi keyboard but i want a new one now more up to date.
As for the mic will i only have to spend £100 my buget is 3-5 hundred?

---------- Post added at 12:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:57 AM ----------

outboard fx is NOT gonna = better quality

you can get the same job done with plugins for way less.

if you wana buy some solid plugins that dont cost a arm and a leg, then look up "stillwell audio plugins"

since you kinda got your head wrapped around the idea that you wana spend a good amount of money on this studio let make sure you get your priorities correct.

first and fore most, are you gonna need multiple inputs? ie: are you gonna record multiple sources at once? if not and you only plan on recording vocal takes, then im sorry to say but you kinda wasted ur money on buying a mixer.

if my assumptions are correct and your only recording your own voice then take that mixer back to where ever you bought it , return it and then buy yourself a PREAMP!

if your a noob, then id bet my bottom dollar if we were to do a blind test and i were to play a vocal take with reverb processing from a plugin and then one from a outboard fx YOU (im not saying everyone) wouldnt beable to tell me which one was which.point is....your new, start out slow. plugins will get you to where your trying to go just the same.

take that money that you were planning on spending on outboard gear and buy a good pair of monitors, a good condenser mic, and sound
treatment.

honestly reguardless of weather the mixer is of any real use to you. you still needa think about buying a preamp if you plan on recording vocals.

moral a the story,

you could skip out on buying outboard fx and processor and no one would ever know.

BUT.....

if you cheap out/corner cut on...a good mic, good monitors, good sound treatment, good preamp.then trust me all the seasoned vets will beable to spot the quality difference a mile away.

dont go cheap on ur mic.if you got a crappy mic then your gonna have crappy recordings.

dont cheap out on ur monitors or treatment either.how can you provide a proper mix if you dont truly know what your hearing?

skip the reverb rack and get some plugins. youll thank me later.

good luck.

Thank you for your advice, iv thought about it and your right maybe outboard equipment wont give me anything better than vst's.
The mixer i brought is 20 channels, has effects,eq, and pre amp i brought it for 150 pound i think thats a bargain and in the future i can also use it for recording other things.

Yeah my mic im spending 3-5 hundred on & my monitor 3 hundred, how much would a good audio interface cost?

---------- Post added at 12:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:09 PM ----------

i remember when i was u ... 2 years ago so ill tell you what i know an learned a while ago first off starting out now a days software is the way to go unless your going to strike it rich anytime soon then you could go harware but thats a non given so software is the route u wanna go starting new and ill list the dont first:

- dont go buying hardware before u pick your DAW(Digital Audio Workstation) FIRST! unless your getting any of the mbox products cause the come with Protools they only exception.
- dont buy a midi controller til you know what works for u what i mean is weather u work better with pads or keys some even prefer mouse an typing keyboard when using fl some being the primary word but a good all around is the m audio axiom 25-61 brand of midi keyboards note these are midi keyboards they make no sounds on there own!
- dont go cheap on your monitors now im still doing this part myself but you need to analyze your space good monitors can sound bad if they arent in the right space in the first place so if possible treat your space cant give anymore on this still havent finished my studio for this reason
now the do's learn your style copying in fine but if you dont make it your own its plagerism side note dont go an copy an exact part
- also pick up an instrument other than drums gurantee you will enjoy your time more with a little music theory to work from nothing wrong with drums but drums have there own structure thats different from say piano or sax

thats all i can think of at the moment so stuff u should look at with your budget:

- m audio axiom 25 if you dont play the keys that much if you do 49 but if your a wiz at the keys 61 i know a few 88 key midis but not in this range

- monitors small space too many to suggest just one pair so ill name the companies i suggest krk, maudio, behringer, and yamaha if you saved money some were else on the list but if you wanna go big for just under 300 you could get a pair of behringer 2031A Monitors but note u will need to buy a sub to acompany this down the road
- last but not least there are thosands of vst's on the net im talking free here use them but if you wnat to spend a lil cash to save time native instruments makes some great vsts and im going to tell u this stright always if possible try before u buy NI lets you use and i suggest u get this still use mine now kore player its free and its a great vst set an its just the sampler!

yeah now mics to each his own
but note there is an alternative to everything in music production but u gotta research it ...

do not fell like spell checking iphone keyboard ....

Thanks for your help and time.
First i use reason 4 & have done for 2 years. But i will be using cubase 5 for vocals.
I want a 49 to 61 key midi keyboard, what price do they come at?
Yes your right, iv been learning myself music theory the past year & learing the piano & just brought a guitar. Could i buy a eletric guitar and convert it to midi in any way to use as a controller? Hmm..

I dont get it? "iv been beat making for 2 years & have worked voluntree at a studio for the experience"? All the questions your asking here, you should be asking at the studio your volunteering at. Your "studio experience" and questions, dont match. I would quit volunteering, cause your obviously not getting anything from there.

Last edited:
ive got tons of outboard gear such as synths/fx/compressors i spent a fortune on it over the years and in the last 12 months ive hardly ever ever used them.now were using faster computers the need for outboard is getting less and less theres loads of vst/firewire products that are a breeze to set up and best of all they have total recall of every session you do so my advice is get a liquid mix 16 for your compression/eq needs there about £140 and get yourself a good daw program such as cubase 5 which has all the fx youll ever need such as delays and one of the best free reverbs youll ever use reverance that pisses over most hardware reverb units in your price range..
monitor wise you cant go wrong with krks there cheap but excellent for dance music and are great too mix with only other thing id get is get a external monitor for your laptop lifes much easier now i bought the new samsung usb exernal monitor no need for a extra graphics card you just plug in the usb cable and it lods in the sftware and thats it i have two monitors now one for my arrangements one to display my mixer and fx returns..

---------- Post added at 07:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:33 PM ----------

focusrite are selling lots of there gear cheap at the minute the octopre is brilliant for vocals and very cheap i have the mbox2 and its good an protools 8 is a industry standard but too be honest i prefer using cubase 5.5 its less headaches pt8 isnt exactlly user freindly compared to cubase which ive been using for over 20 years and know it inside out.

I dont get it? "iv been beat making for 2 years & have worked voluntree at a studio for the experience"? All the questions your asking here, you should be asking at the studio your volunteering at. Your "studio experience" and questions, dont match. I would quit volunteering, cause your obviously not getting anything from there.

I had 6 weeks voluntree and it helped me learn about how wire outboard equipment, using mixers, modules, recording vocals not "what equipment to buy for a home studio" "/

focusrite are selling lots of there gear cheap at the minute the octopre is brilliant for vocals and very cheap i have the mbox2 and its good an protools 8 is a industry standard but too be honest i prefer using cubase 5.5 its less headaches pt8 isnt exactlly user freindly compared to cubase which ive been using for over 20 years and know it inside out.

SMH ACER IS CRAP......

Spend the money on fast track pro krk rokit 5's and reason

It has alot of memery more than i will ever need, its fast, cubase 5, reason 4 all my vsts work, so how is it "crap" ?

I personally despise outboard effects, they sound the exact same, especially on dark electronic music like I make, and you can not mouse automate them so.... eff that, I automate sooooo much that I can not see myself ever using outboard equipment.

I would like to make it crystal clear that expensive outboard processors (especially for reverb and compression) are by far more complex than VST effects, and can produce much better quality! BUT, the question is if you have money for this (we are then talking about 1000 to 2000£ or more) and if you will need it?

Another important thing is that if you are using a laptop with a lot of VSTs running your CPU will probably go nuts. (especially with reverb and mastering VSTs) In this case you are better of with either a stationary computer or outboard hardware.

Well, ...this is up to you. Personally I would go for outboard equipment if I had the money but, I wouldn't buy some cheap outboard effects. In that case you are probably better off with VSTs.

As for the monitors I have tried many. Right now I am doing mixing and production on a pair of FOSTEX PM1. They are not expensive at all (about £400 for a pair) and they are very transparent. You could also go for a pair of Genelec 8020A and I can almost guarantee you won't be disappointed. They are a much smaller but, 100£ more.

I am not to sure about the microphone, as this is a very subjective thing. But I suggest a large condenser microphone (perhaps RØDE NT1A).

What a b!tch a$$ response....

get less out board gear, even none, and go for a high end computer with as much processing power and cpu as possible. the computer handles all the audio, it is the most important part

Back