Mastering my beat tape.. getting consistency any tips?

U

ukbeatmaker

Hey!
Basically im going to release my debut beat tape very soon, it will be 11 old skool hiphop beats, 5 of them were produced on my old mpc (rip) and i only have the single wav file for those 5 beats, and the other 6 were produced with reason. Im really just looking on how to get consistency between the beats i made on the mpc and the beats i made with reason. i also use logic pro and izotope ozone 4 mastering suite.
any tips or advice would be great
Peace

I think you mean consistency in the way each track sounds in general compared to the others right? Obviously, they'll all sound different normally, but I think when pros do mastering for entire albums they try to get consistency of volume and general EQ sound. But it's all relative.

For example if it's a rock band's album and they have a hardcore head-banging rock song and they also have an acoustic ballad on there the engineer would prolly master it so that the ballad was quieter on average than the head-banging one, and each track would likely have much different EQ characteristics.

I can't really give you specifics because I'm not a mastering guru at all, at all. But basically I think it's more about having them sound good relative to one another than every track having the exact same volume and EQ feel...

Hope that helps :cheers:

Aside from the usual mastering steps (I'm assuming you know how to use your software), I always go thru different "playlists" and listen. Sometimes it's hard to get out of engineer mode and use the perspective of a casual listener/fan. Try different orders of songs and listen to see if any track jumps out/ is too low; forget about numbers...trust your ears. If your beats are tight, no one will care if one tracks' RMS/peak level is .5db lower than the previous one!

Last edited:
yeah the way they sound in general, but your right i think its more consistency of the volume and eq problem i got, i suppose mastering varies on each tune as long as they all sound good
thanks for the advice man

---------- Post added at 11:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:05 PM ----------

Yes ive mastered a few tracks before but still learning so much everyday. good idea about making a playlist man! yeah thats true if the beats are dope it doesn't matter to much :)

Aside from the usual mastering steps (I'm assuming you know how to use your software), I always go thru different "playlists" and listen. Sometimes it's hard to get out of engineer mode and use the perspective of a casual listener/fan. Try different orders of songs and listen to see if any track jumps out/ is too low; forget about numbers...trust your ears. If your beats are tight, no one will care if one tracks' RMS/peak level is .5db lower than the previous one!

one thing you can do is load up all the beats in one logic file with them all on separate tracks. send them all to the same bus, and if you want you can even send this bus through multiple other buses before sending it through the output. you can add general EQ and compression on the first and/or other buses to get a consistent sound throughout tape. hella late but.. figured i might kick some knowledge if you haven't already figured this out

good advice but necro thread much? last post was March 31 2012, first post was March 30 2012...

Back