Ludacris and Big Boi weigh in on hip hop is dead debate

A

ALIASTrP

By: Yves Erwin Salomon

Ludacris and OutKast's Big Boi are the two latest rappers to weigh in on the debate sparked by the title of Nas'latest album, Hip Hop Is Dead...The N. Ludacris told MTV.com, "I don't feel that hip-hop is dead. I feel like the South is keeping it alive. What we do is hip-hop. Some people may not feel that way. You gotta respect some people's opinion, but hey. You gotta stay to your opinion in the game."

Ludacris added, "Because the South is dominating it right now. Saying that hip-hop is dead is like saying the South is dead too. They may not like some of the music going on in the South. But everybody in the South is saying, 'We are keeping it alive.'... At the end of the day, hip-hop is what you make it. What we do in the South isn't hip-hop -- that's what some people think. We think it is. Some people say it's country-rap tunes. Hip-hop is what you make it."

Big Boi also shared his thoughts on the state of the game. He said, "Everybody is entitled to their opinion, but if it's dead, why is the South boomin'? We got the ball right now. ... But nobody better never come out their mouth wrong about me or my homeboy Andre 3000 ever. Ever! Tell them. We don't even play. I'll slap the s**t out of you. That's why you never hear about OutKast getting into nothing."

Ok so the South is dominating the charts... They might want to consider hiphop as a whole community. Album sales mean nothin.

FreshKorean said:
Ok so the South is dominating the charts... They might want to consider hiphop as a whole community. Album sales mean nothin.
We've considered it as a whole community our whole life. In the south we buy and support all hip hop. Were always fans of all hip hop. But now we're dominant and no one can respect us. This topic is old. Tell me hip hop is dead when Nas puts out another good album. That sh*t he just made is killin hip hop quicker than Ludacris or Outkast, you lying to ya damn self if you say otherwise.

other artist dont think hip hop is dead how could nas say somthin like this i think thiss has fu@ked his rep up i had little respect for him before now i have none you cant kill a beast like hip hop

What bugs me is how people always whine that "sales aren't everything" wouldn't real hip hop fans be the ones buying albums and supporting thier favorite artist?

Same scenario with a broke dude telling you money won't make you happy(if a rich dude said it I would listen). To follow what these dudes is saying is no different than being led by the blind.

I might have a little more respect for the movement, but just a few months ago Nas was doing that B.S. B.D.S.M. song with Kelis while Outkast put out Idlewild and Luda was putting out release therapy. hmmmm....

Last edited:
hip-hop isn't dead man, it has evolved and chandeg, but it isn't dead. hip-hop has grown and alot of dudes up north can't recognize her now that she's 30 yrs. old and moved down south. but if hip-hop was about getting the party started, the dancers dancing, and the spitters spitting, then it's alive. this topic is old & dumb.

NaS didn't voice his opinion right. So he looks like a complete ass. Not to mention the album isn't that good...Finna cop real soon and see.

Hip-Hop is dead has to do with 1 thing and pretty much 1 thing only.

Creative control.

Nothing to do with which coast is poppin.

It's a creative issue. I read another article talking about how 'all the ballin CEO's' at Rap's highest point, should have banded together and bought distribution companies for Hip-Hop ONLY, instead of *excuse the pun* Begging at some old white guy's office for an imprint deal with your label. Instead of that person running his own music 100%. Can't be THAT hard to do LOL...Deranged will probably fill me in on it

^ It's rumored Suge, Irv Gotti, and J Prince were trying to do that and then they all got hit with hella cases

why is the south thinking that when people say "hip hop is dead" its referring to them? it's dead everywhere. east coast, west coast, midwest and the south. everywhere.

if you think someone is talking about you... it's probably because you're thinking the same thing too.

why is the south getting so pissed off at nas? he never said ONE ****ING WORD ABOUT THE SOUTH. i think he's talking about how everyone is copying off eachother. it's like how when Jeezy got big, Joc popped up as competition. Unlike when he came out, if Bambaataa came out today and was a huge commercial sucess, there would be a couple clones of him on other labels and most of the music on the radio would have the same sound as him.

sonof said:
why is the south thinking that when people say "hip hop is dead" its referring to them? it's dead everywhere. east coast, west coast, midwest and the south. everywhere.

if you think someone is talking about you... it's probably because you're thinking the same thing too.

Because the reaon people are saying Hip Hop is dead is becasue New York based rappers aint sellin'. So in turn they hate on the people who are sellin' The South.

Bonz said:
Because the reaon people are saying Hip Hop is dead is becasue New York based rappers aint sellin'. So in turn they hate on the people who are sellin' The South.
i think both jay-z and t.i have went platinum already and nas and jeezy are heading for the same first week number's, 50 cent is one of the biggest selling artist since he has came out.

what artist do you know of selling alot?

everyone's got their own opinion thats what luda and big boi needs to know. The hip hop nas knew is dead. the one I did is dead also. but that doesnt mean it cant be uplifted. Hip hop basically just got dominated by television and radio. To the point where alot of pure artist cant get on the radio or TV. Most of these artist out doing it big now probably wouldnt make good music if the money wasnt as big. True! Luda said he was a universal mc never limited to the south now he thinks Nas is saying his music is dead. I think alot of these cats just want some Attention. Im tired of this wack debate hip hop is dead. If you really want to know just turn on the radio, and what happened to MTv Raps, Old Skool wednesday on Rap City! Nowadays we gotta test out albums on the internet b4 we buy it in fear of gettin ripped off.
When artist put their heart in their music and radio spins Common,lil Brother/ and music that doesnt have to be about dancing all day.or R&B influenced. If we all went in a time zone back to 1995 then we would come back and all say Hip Hop is Dead! it probably died same time as big and Pac.

sonof said:

Are you that blind.... U need not go any farther than this forum for proof. Some people(whether they come out or not)detest what the south is doing right now. The only period they call "real hip-hop" is NY between 87-94. Compounded by the fact they already THINK we're inferior has think pressure cooker ready to explode.

It is always has been this way.... Not letting us in the industry, the Outkast/Source Awards incident, the constant namecalling and dissing.

We sick of this s**t.........

People blaming the south now for the condition that black people are in...... Last time I checked NY people sold/used drugs/drink/party/ect. their life away just like everyone else. NY(and unfortunately the west coast)rappers talked about this s**t before we did..........

You got people that live in the south on this board that are basically co-signing and cheerleading for the NY dude to monopolize the rap game like they did in the Golden Era..... They also talk down on their own kind............

I agree the south is brainwashing some kids now. The quality of life is going down because of the infuences of the East(Drugs & Materailism)and West(Gangsta Complex), but as I just stated we all know where these things came from............ The south just might have to learn like 70's and 80's NY did........

Let me continue this diss fest........ Why does NY rappers sound like Rap Wars Episode II: Attack Of The Talib Kweli, Mos Def and Fabolous Clones

I'm about to hurt the backpacker's feelings......... Everyone isn't as "pure" as they say they are..... They took a page out of the southside rap video manual on this one....

Enjoy.......https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N35h-Y-dDHU

NO ONE IS PURE FROM ANY REGION..........

Last edited by a moderator:
"if hip-hop is dead why is the south dominating" ?? that argument doesnt make sence . and if theirs any link between the fall of hiphop and the rise of this ignorant trash, it would be that one caused the other

Last edited by a moderator:
Back