j dilla samples

JettaJern

New member
the only j dilla solo albums i have purchased are "donuts" and "the shining". how do they get away with not citing a single sample on the liner notes of either of these albums?! i mean, i'd guess there are at least 50 different records sampled on donuts. whats up with this?
 

JSLmusic

fp's most underated
They don't have to put them in if they don't want to. As long as the copyright owners(publishing companies) are getting paid their share, that all that matters. It all depends on who agrees to what really...
 
Last edited:

JettaJern

New member
i dont think they even cleared any of the samples for donuts though. and if the decision to cite a sample in the liner notes was on the artist using the sample, why the **** would anyone give away their samples? i think whether or not to cite the sample is a part of the sample negotiation process and is ultimately the decision of the original artist.

but seriously, how are they getting away with this
 

Jenre

New member
I don't know if they cleared the samples, but they don't have to mention them in the liner notes even if they do. It depends on the agreement.
 

Pimpmatik

New member
Most samples aren't cleared on indie records since they sell less than 50K.
But it's a bigger case for an artist signed to a major label since they sell a whole lot more.
So as long as it's not way too obvious,indies can get away with not clearing samples
 

segundo

New member
Trenchant said:
the answer is quite simple, nobody wants to lawsuit an album from a dead guy
chuck d did.... and pimpmatik is right... most indies don't clear samples... i don't think i've ever read a cd note of an ayatollah beat that was cleared and THE LISTENING didn't clear one thing either....
 

Adlib311

Umbrella Music Group
Samples were cleared for the listening, Read the back of the book, ABB did clear them,

Whoever said that an indy label doesent clear samples is stupid. Cmon now? why would they risk not clearing a sample? and risk on lossing more money than what the artist made, Pleaze, your real nieve if you belive that. People will sue regardless. and thats a known fact.

Look in the listenings booklet all the samples were cleared, it tells u at the end of the book, READ PEOPLE!!! quit commin up with asumptions. Labels are not stupid and will not allow a sample to go uncleared, pleaze belive that. thats Under the 50,000 mark radar B.S. can be thrown out the window!!! there is no such thing, if you sell it with an uncleared sample, no matter what your screwed, people especially corperations will find out what sample it is. Cmon on now man. Dont be so nieve!
 

Mainboi23SX

My Man...
9th Wonder Says:

What's the best way to clear samples? I want to put out my album professionally but I need to clear a lot of samples first.

Naw…only if you plan to sell a million copies, you're good, unless you're sampling the Beatles, Prince, Michael Jackson, or something obvious.
 

datruth2836

New member
Mainboi23SX said:
9th Wonder Says:

What's the best way to clear samples? I want to put out my album professionally but I need to clear a lot of samples first.

Naw…only if you plan to sell a million copies, you're good, unless you're sampling the Beatles, Prince, Michael Jackson, or something obvious.

I read that same question on ask 9th Wonder. So Adlib331 so all that naive talk can get thrown out the window. It dosent really make since for someone dat is indie to try and clear samples. Its just a waste of money to me. But thats just my opinion.
 

Gee-Whiz

New member
At the end of the day 9th is right. Chances are no ones gonna f#$k wit you. But that doesn't mean, if someone is hungry that, they won't pay a clearing house to go get you. Bad example, but Micheal Jackson (for the record, don't ever sample mike broke or no or the beatles cause mike owns those copyrights too) is probably on the hunt right now. Lawyers aren't cheap, especially high powered hollywood ones over the course of two years, twice. That's just an example of why some one might nit pick at a lower sold record.
 
Last edited:

segundo

New member
Adlib311 said:
Samples were cleared for the listening, Read the back of the book, ABB did clear them,

Whoever said that an indy label doesent clear samples is stupid. Cmon now? why would they risk not clearing a sample? and risk on lossing more money than what the artist made, Pleaze, your real nieve if you belive that. People will sue regardless. and thats a known fact.

Look in the listenings booklet all the samples were cleared, it tells u at the end of the book, READ PEOPLE!!! quit commin up with asumptions. Labels are not stupid and will not allow a sample to go uncleared, pleaze belive that. thats Under the 50,000 mark radar B.S. can be thrown out the window!!! there is no such thing, if you sell it with an uncleared sample, no matter what your screwed, people especially corperations will find out what sample it is. Cmon on now man. Dont be so nieve!
ok i have the listening cd booklet... sorry i didn't get back sooner, but NOWHERE on it does it say about any sample clearances....i have the vinyl as well, but i can't find it at the moment... if u know where it's located, please tell me.. the last thing written is, WWW.OHSONAPPY.COM if u want i can have my mans take a pic of it and i'll post it... i didn't say all indies don't clear samples, but a lot of them don't.... the examples are endless....
 

Adlib311

Umbrella Music Group
Ya'll are stupid for even beliving what 9th says. LoL....Omg i cant belive ya'll, whats the age group here 15-19?

Playa pleaze...the only reason he gave that answr is becouse who ever asked him OBVIOUSLY does not have a RECORD DEAL....ask him to put out an album with uncleared samples.

And he is a producer, he makes beats, he do's not do paper work and does not run a COMPANY. who are you gonna belive? a producer who has people clear his samples get him gigs budjet his money etc. Or a company? music is company based people! No time to cut corners



and in the booklet it should say samples cleared by.........................
 

segundo

New member
dog i know what is "should" say.. i own thousands of vinyl and cds and THERE ARE NO SAMPLE CLEARANCES IN THE CD INSERT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i got it right here in front of me... and i'm talking about THE LISTENING.... i highly doubt ABB records gave them a budget to clear over 17 samples on their first lp... but that's just my opinion, i may be wrong...
 

crackpanther

New member
Adlib33, it is true though. A lot of indie labels don't clear samples, because the amount of money the record companies would have to pay in order to fight the suit would not be worth the miniscule money they could claim from the, usually small, indie label.

Adlib33, if you read the hiphopgame interviews with 9th wonder someone asked, "What's the biggest change in moving to a major label..." (from ABB to Atlantic i think), and his response was "Clearing Samples", because a lot of the songs intended for "The Minstrel Show" could not be used, because it was either too expensive or the artist wouldn't allow the clearing.
 

Adlib311

Umbrella Music Group
I dunno its hard to belive that a corperation would allow unlceared samples....

I ran into a problom 3 weeks ago with a order of cd's. im not major, but the company would not press my cd becouse of samples, they sent me a order of cd's with no music on them.

its hard to belive that a company would allow an album to go out without samples bien cleared, they will loss a massive amount of money. lawsuits. Etc.

I just cant belive it, im gonna look in the cd booklet today and i bet ill find it!
 

crackpanther

New member
Adlib, I've had places ask that you don't use samples for duplication, but that's only the personal business ideology of that place. Cause other places will copy them, but I've seen that too where places don't copy beats with samples. It's gay but it exists.

But with the no clearing thing, just think about how much more money it would cost to attack Stones Throw for donuts, minus the amount of money you could levy from a company for not clearing it (basically shut them down), and the record company would still be in the hole for a bunch of legal fees. Its just not worth it to attack the indie and underground market.
 

segundo

New member
Adlib311 said:
I dunno its hard to belive that a corperation would allow unlceared samples....

I ran into a problom 3 weeks ago with a order of cd's. im not major, but the company would not press my cd becouse of samples, they sent me a order of cd's with no music on them.

its hard to belive that a company would allow an album to go out without samples bien cleared, they will loss a massive amount of money. lawsuits. Etc.

I just cant belive it, im gonna look in the cd booklet today and i bet ill find it!
don't sweat it, here ya go... i took it at an angle to avoid the camera flash but there is the section above the thank you's.. tell me where u see any sample clearances... and there are none in the inserts...
lil%20bro%20002.jpg
 
Top