Is music publishing need if...

Kavie

a.k.a. Bishop Jackson
Hopefully this hasn't been discussed (so that I'm not making a duplicated thread of a previously discussed topic), but if so, feel free to direct me to it.

Is there a need for publishing if you're planning on selling your music yourself; via consignment deal with record stores, iTunes, BandCamp, etc.?

I'm currently reading "The Plain And Simple Guide To Music Publishing", but haven't gotten to anything which discusses this yet.

Last edited:
I think you should finish reading that book. maybe start from the beginning.

technically you are considered a songwriter not a producer. (that might clear somethings up for you)

I don't think you understand what publishing actually is.

If you're selling and licensing your music yourself, you are your own publisher.

I regards to licensing my music, I understand what I need to be doing, do fully, but I'm still reading this book. But in regards to putting out an album, on my own and not going through any record companies or distributors, is it even possible to collect royalties from the music sold, since I'll be seeing everything direct (minus applicable fees for services such as iTunes, if there are any)?

I hope that makes sense. I'm not really sure if I'm wording any of this correctly.

Last edited:
I think I understand. You're asking if the person who made the album (you) can collect royalties (a percentage of sales) from the person who sold the album (you). Hopefully the answer to that should be obvious :)

That only takes into account royalties from sales. If your music is being played by radio, tv, etc, you would need to sign up with a PRO (ASCAP, BMI, etc) to collect the public performance royalties for those plays.

I think I understand. You're asking if the person who made the album (you) can collect royalties (a percentage of sales) from the person who sold the album (you). Hopefully the answer to that should be obvious :)

That only takes into account royalties from sales. If your music is being played by radio, tv, etc, you would need to sign up with a PRO (ASCAP, BMI, etc) to collect the public performance royalties for those plays.

The next chapter I read explained exactly what I needed to know, and what you said. Turns out I didn't completely know the difference between licensing and performance royalties. Thanks for your help though.

Back