I need help with sampling!!!

TY13R BEATS

So ive been making beats and for some reason whenever i try to sample something its sounds very off and im very unsatisfied. I normally scrap 5 beats in a few days because how bad i personally feel about my sampling. Just wondering if any of you know some tips or tricks to make my samples sound better? Thanks in advance.

I guess that's an issue of not audiobending or using timestretch or playing off notes or something.
I do this pretty often too if that's what you aren't doing lol

Last edited:
Do you quantize or unquantize your samples? Would you care to explain what you do when you sample?

i pick a song that i like that is older and i chop it up using audacity. then i make is sound like chipmunks, (kanye style). and then i look up the bpm of the original song, then make my beat the same bpm. i hope this helps.

do you do looping with your samples? bcuz its first good to perfect sample looping first to get a good ear and then go on to chopping which takes a lot of time to master and perfect.

i dont thin you should delete your bad beats...just keep practising

do you do looping with your samples? bcuz its first good to perfect sample looping first to get a good ear and then go on to chopping which takes a lot of time to master and perfect.

i dont thin you should delete your bad beats...just keep practising
i chop it for intros and outros, but loop for the beat.

exactly what beatarama said ^^^ loop that shit then once you have a solid loop with no clicking, when it just lops seamlessly, chop it into beats. for example if you loop up something thats 2 bars you would then slice/chop it into 8 equal pieces, every pirce is a beat. you can have a lot of fun/nice results messing around that way. and you can still keep your chipmunk thing goin hahaha. :cheers:

Don't know exactly what you are doing, but it couldn't be as simple as the sample being off-key? (if you play several notes with it in for example ESX24) In that case just put on some metering and tune it

try tapping your own tempos with the samples. I usually mess with a kick n snare combo as I listen to sample to find the tempo in my head. So try bringing up the samples and some midi drums at the same time. Also another tip. What I like to do with samples is add reverb with an equalizer together. You can make some crazy sounding shit.

i pick a song that i like that is older and i chop it up using audacity. then i make is sound like chipmunks, (kanye style). and then i look up the bpm of the original song, then make my beat the same bpm. i hope this helps.

Why are you making the samples higher pitched and then creating your song based around the same BPM? that doesn't really make sense to me as the only reason you would do that would be to keep the pitch?

I agree with JamesJulius .. You will have to change the tempo if you speed up the sample. The only way the sample stays on beat with the original tempo is if you keep the original pitch of the sample. It shouldn't be hard to find the new tempo though, just have a click track playing along with the sample and either speed it up or slow it down (the tempo). Alternatively, you can set your desired tempo and play your chops to match it.

Sampling will require you to hear what something could be before you sample it. Use your ear and imagination bet you can before looping up something. Have feel for music theory. Hip hop is normally 2 bar or 4 bar loops. You can chop the sample and arrange it the way you want or loop and play with the pitch and filters. Make sure you drums compliment the sample and thats about it! Hope this helped.

The best way to grow your confidence in sampling is to take your favourite sample and becoming a master at manipulating it.

Chop it, splice it reorder it, layer it at half speed or double speed. Change the bpm and do the exercises again.

Do 4 bar 8 bar 16 bar edits with the sample. Play with the quantize in your edits. Turn the quantize off.

Understand every element of the sample your using, learn how to manipulate it beyond recognition, add effects, learn eq techniques.

Train your eyes to get used to where each instrument sits in the bar so that it becomes second nature.

Once you master the sample, add more instruments, Add some bass, some stabs, pads and leads or what ever you choose to add and you will find you will be able to visualize where each instrument can sit on your composition.

Dedicate a good month or so becoming a master of your favourite sample.

Hopefully it isn't just a boom bap sample. Use a real break to hone your skills, amen, funky drummer or something along those lines.

You want all the elements of a drum kit to play with.

This exercise will give you really good confidence in moving forward as a producer, repetition is the key here.

Don't chop and Change for the sake of it. If it's a sample you love it won't get boring.

You might get fatigued or run out of ideas, just chill and find other producers who use the same sample as you and listen to it from an analytical approach.

Then take what you learned and put it into practice.

Even if it means recreating the track. Your confidence and understanding will grow quickly if your in this for the long haul and you really want it.

Last edited:
Are you crossfading between the samples? make sure you add a tiny fade at the start and end of your loops to stop the obvious audio click and smooth your loops out.

Back