I feel more comfortable rapping in an american accent?

jremi

I've asked this before I think, but on a different forum..

Whenever I rap, I do it in an american accent, why? I'm more comfortable with it, and it sounds better than my shitty british accent..

Most people have said not to do it in an american thinking, but I'm in the "**** what everyone else thinks" mood haha, but I'd still love to see what this community has to say.

Please bare in mind that it makes me more confident, and maybe it could be waht makes me unique? Maybe in a bad way, but still unique, haha... Anyway, what do you guys think?

I'm going to record in an american accent soon, so I'll post a link here to it so you can see what I sound like...

I would say go with what you like. Accent is probably less important than what you produce. I listen to both UK and US rap and barely notice the accent unless it is a heavy one. Furthermore, an american accent is a more netural accent, so if you feel more comfortable with it, go for it!

Do both and do both well. Be what Nicki Minaj was trying to be. British accents tend to have a higher nasal quality to them so it might just be that difference that you like, try speaking with a english accent with an american tone if that makes sense.

~ from another uk rapper

Do both and do both well. Be what Nicki Minaj was trying to be. British accents tend to have a higher nasal quality to them so it might just be that difference that you like, try speaking with a english accent with an american tone if that makes sense.

~ from another uk rapper

So Kinda do what Eminem does with Slim Shady, and Tech n9ne does with E.B.A.H, an alter ego? So my alter ego could be in either a british or an american accent? D:

What i was saying is try lowering your english accent and speak from your diaphram to get a deeper richer tone. If that still doesnt feel right do the american and british alternating in songs. Don't just do american or people will think you're fake, there's a difference between rap and singing.

Last edited:
I've asked this before I think, but on a different forum..

Whenever I rap, I do it in an american accent, why? I'm more comfortable with it, and it sounds better than my shitty british accent..

Most people have said not to do it in an american thinking, but I'm in the "**** what everyone else thinks" mood haha, but I'd still love to see what this community has to say.

Please bare in mind that it makes me more confident, and maybe it could be waht makes me unique? Maybe in a bad way, but still unique, haha... Anyway, what do you guys think?

I'm going to record in an american accent soon, so I'll post a link here to it so you can see what I sound like...

I love rap in british accents, however I can see where you're coming from if you're more comfortable in the american accent. Still, I recommend you rap in a british accent because it's awesome. +1 british rap.

is up to you! you can't change the fact that you are British but singing in an american accent can increase the fans or people that listen your music

I think it is more the style in which you say it. flow and stuff, I have heard some amazing UK rappers in the grime and stuff idk what I'm talking about, just suggesting you work on your flow and delivery as that will have a bigger impact on your audience than which accent you use right? if you have good flow, rhyme schemes, and are in the pocket - that is what matters. and you're also following in Iggy Azalea's footsteps for she doesn't rap in her aussie voice. I find UK rap fascinating.

i know a lot of glasweigan rappers and its seen as faux pas or worse for NOT rapping in your natural accent up here. The sad thing is though, the industry doesnt warm to the accent AT ALL, even when its backed up by incredible multis, lyrical dexterity and profound subject matter. One of our biggest homegrown acts here in terms of hip hop are Hector Bizerk, who recently went to NYC for a few shows, went down very well apparently...its a double edged sword though because we'll truly never know if an audience is applauding for the novelty and has literally no idea what you're saying...i dont listen to any other hip hop anymore other than my scottish favourites (check Gasp, Being Emcees, Konchis & Physiks, Loki, Louie, Shadowpeople, Kayce One - just stick "glasgow" after the name in youtube), and the occasional revisit to some of RZAs Bobby Digital stuff or maybe "liquid swords"...

It's hard not to when you start, we're so exposed to hearing US accents on TV and radio AND song, it's really hard to use your own accent when you amplify your voice. Try it with singing, I either sound like a rubbish frank sinatra or a pub version of Morrissey, depending on the accent. But really, I think work on being confident in you own accent. It's your style you're developing and your own identity, which is really important as a musician and artist. Good luck finding your own voice. It's out there some where...

Back