How to get a "Just Dance" Synth

LarsVader

Hey y´all,

i´m wondering how to get the Synth-Sound of Lady Gagas "Just Dance". It sound so nice, so "sawish" distorted. How can I achieve that?

And by the way, anyone knows a good way to start learning Synthesizer Programming. I mean a DVD or a Book or something.

Thanks to all

use a saw and square osc, add some hard lfo to the pitch then chord it so the upper and lower notes have a difference of 19 semitones. maybe add some slight detune too

well he never stated what program or vst hes using so i described the technique instead of just making it up for him. if i knew what he was using then maybe i could export an fxp or a screenshot instead :)

I think that was a little too technical for a beginner, your terminology is good for someone who has a background in synthesis, but a beginner wouldn't know how to "add some hard lfo" or what it means to chord it with semitones, lol.

ya i get what youre saying, i suppose its easier to just wait and find out what hes using then explain it step by step :)

i learned synthesis on vanguard but for creating the usual dance synths i love synth1 even though its interface is a little strange at first. vstation is a beast in the right hands but its one vst i never got used to

I'm confused by what you mean Hard LFO. Right now I got a thing going on in vanguard. 1st osc is Saw with a +semi of 10 2nd osc is a square with a -semi of 9. I turned on the 1st and 2nd lfo and adjusted giving it some detune on both lfos. I've been messing with the cuttoff and speed a bit. But I still don't know what you mean by a hard LFO.

been trying different filters also. I don't know that song he is talking about I'm just trying to make what I think is a good sound, then check out the video and see how close I am.

Last edited:
But I still don't know what you mean by a hard LFO.

sorry about that just use a low amount, high speed lfo. about the semitones for the 2 oscillators, you can have both the same if you wish and have your notes chorded like C4 G5. that gives you more freedom to play with melody structure than chording using the semitone difference of 19

I really don´t understand whats up with the LFO and whole Stuff. I know there´s an LFO the Synths i have, but what have i got to do? And with the Octaves? Do you mean to play a low octave tone and a high octave tone at the same time or what?

Dont get me wrong, i apprechiate all your answers but im on the same Status like i was before :rolleyes: Therefore i really would like to know a good startup for learning Programming.

sorry about that just use a low amount, high speed lfo. about the semitones for the 2 oscillators, you can have both the same if you wish and have your notes chorded like C4 G5. that gives you more freedom to play with melody structure than chording using the semitone difference of 19

I don't understand how that works. Won't the osc be played at the same pitch then? Instead with a +10 on the saw and a -9 for the square for instance the saw will always be a higher pitch and the square lower no matter what the note being played. But when you keep them the same they're both the same pitch no matter what key you play.

Also isn't there 12 or 13 semitones(depending on how you want to put it) in an octave or whatever one would call it. 19 seems like an octave plus a Perfect forth. Or am I wrong there?

Just trying to understand this as much as I can.

Could you please take a screenshot of this in vanguard, don't care what daw you use. Just curious as to what this actually looks like. I usuallty use an Init patch then configure from there.

Last edited:
https://img411.imageshack.us/img411/3844/gagachord.jpg

the pic above shows how the notes would be placed having both oscs at the same pitch, +12 in this case. if you wanted to get the same sound using a 1 finger melody version then you would set the oscs pitch to +12 and -7 = 19 semitones of difference

Thanks Man, I'll look into this. Appreciate the reply. I still don't understand how playing the 2 notes like that work this way. But its okay.

rayzer, have you made that sound in vanguard? any chance you could upload the patch and then we can see the settings when the patch loads?

i had the patch somewhere but couldnt find it yesterday, just tried to remake it quickly when i made that picture. ill have another look and see if i have any luck getting the original one

those lady gaga beats are crazy by the way

yeah...They're all produced by Red One...he's one of the best Pop producers now....Word....He be the ish for real....Big fan....Everyone sayin Lady Gaga made him famous...I say if red one didn't produce them killer tracks....Lady Gaga would be another one hit wonder....But i aint she aint talented....She's i guess what PoP needed after a long time...Also She SMOKIN.....Hott Body!!..But dayaam i hate the weird stuff she be doin sometimes....Anyways Red One be the illest...

Back