How to get a deep chest-vibrating bass AND a deep boom kick drum together in a mix

Dj Thy: I agree. I've been using Buzz for over 5 years and after building a large "bones" directory, I still find using 4-6 main sounds about does it.

If you cant compose something using that, then you're using the wrong sounds, or you need to go back to fxed. ;) There's always room for "filler" at the end, but it wont need to be such a big part of the mix... and in the end it sounds more coherant.

Btw, Ultravisitor is actually good... :D

just like to say FP Rules!
they should start working on a FP Chat Room.
I would just like to say though, Ive been reading and posting at FP for a while and Im learning heaps!!
one thing Im not too sure of that I hear about a lot in hear, is the term "Rolling off the Bass or Kick"
could some one explain what this does to Kick sounds
and how its done.

Jupiter

"Rolling off the bass [or kick]" just means attenuating (reducing) the level of those instruments (or others) at the lowest frequencies in a gradual manner.

This can help "clean up" a mix (although too much lo-freq roll off can leave your mix sounding thin).

Low frequency sounds require more power to produce and, as a consequence, having "too much" lows can "rob" overall volume to reproduce the very lowest frequencies -- which, in all likelihood, can't even be reproduced by most consumer or car stereos.

(If you've ever had a mix you couldn't get 'loud enough' no matter what you did, chances are it had 'hidden' lo-freqs that were stealing a lot of power. Rolling off (often by use of a low-frequency shelving filter -- also called a high-pass filter [because it lets the high freqs pass]) below, say, 30-35 Hz can help give you enough 'headroom' so that you can then boost the overall level more.)

Of course, you can 'roll off' the highs, too (by way of a low-pass shelving filter).

(Other EQ tricks involving low frequencies include manipulating the frequency curves of both bass synth/guitar tracks and kick drum tracks so that they complement each other.)

thanks for the explanation of "rolloff" that's how I understood it, but it's nice to get confirmation

what about "scoop" what is that, and how is it achieved?

I've been using waves REQ for some rolloffs, and boosts, and also notches that really seem to help some of my sampled drum sounds...

scooping is attenuating a certain (generally small) frequency range of an instrument within its sound space, generally to make room for another instrument. as it applies to this thread, the bass is scooped in a small section of the lower frequencies to make room for part of the kick. the "scoop" comes from the pattern created by the EQ sliders when this is done. at least this is how i understand it.

another technique often used in four-on-the-floor dance music like house and trance is to use a sidechain compressor. you bassically set the compressor so that the bass is attenuated whenever the kick is playing. its not exactly what you're looking for, but i think it applies none the less.

Hi

I liked one statement one guy in this post said:

' Don't be tempted to always buy the latest of the latest. Build up a good base, and then get everything you can out of it. It will be rewarding for you, because you'll continue to progress, and your music will certainly come out better too. And admit it, it's rewarding when you can look back and say : yup, I made that, and I'm damn proud of it too! '

damned. This is so true. I own new stuff and I always to have newer stuff, but then time passes by and I never use the new stuff. I need to start exploring one plugins at the time and saw, yeah, this is my plugin kind of thing.

By the way, it is hard deciding whether to scoop or boost on the bass/kick side. Somtiems it sound better to have a boost int he area 100-125 hz for thge beat. Somtiems it is better for th ebass. It dependes. If you want to have a hard bass.....boost in the 50-100 hz area. If you want a good kick trance/hiphop kind of BOEM-kick, boost around 80-95 kz and around 65 hz and scoop the bass out of it.

Oh yeah...lower the freq around 250-350 from the kick. This will give you more headroom. :) GOod luck, fellow FP members!

Well that is all

so a scoop is then what I'd call a notch, or maybe what I call notch is a more extreme kind of scoop, what kind of -db are we talking about for your average scoop?

I think daft punk used a lot of sidechain, I think this also one of things benni benassi is doing now, I'm not sure, but he's definitely got a lot of compression going on

Back