How many of you layer your reverbs?

Over Dose

Engineer
I just did a mix and I layered my reverb with 3 reverbs. I used had the lows, mids, and highs all seperated with the same pre-delay, but different decay times, and I really liked the results I got. I sent one of my delays into it, and I also used the reverb on piano, and I used the same technique with different reverbs on the strings.

When mixing, I usually use two different reverbs (convolution + algorithmic) in parallel. This produces a rich palett of dense FX from natual to supernatural.

not on every application but sometimes on softer 'creepier' vocals i use a wide away of reverbs, as you said for different fequencies. if done properly in conjunction with delay it can give you that ear tingling feeling that makes people ooh and ah over a track.. IMO

Hey Over Dose you found out one of my secrets..lol..yes I layer reverbs a lot. Usually 3, small, medium and large in most cases.

Hey Over Dose you found out one of my secrets..lol..yes I layer reverbs a lot. Usually 3, small, medium and large in most cases.

I can't believe I've never tried this. I've layered reverbs many times before, but I never thought about using different decay times, and I never thought about splitting them up into 3 different ranges low, mid, and high. It was dense, but cleaner than just layering the verb without splitting them up like I did.

---------- Post added at 12:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:23 PM ----------

When mixing, I usually use two different reverbs (convolution + algorithmic) in parallel. This produces a rich palett of dense FX from natual to supernatural.

I like convolution reverbs because I can make my own reverbs, but I also like algorithm based reverbs because I can really manipulate it. I used all algorithmic verbs with that mix, but I'll try using convolution and algorithm verbs together and see what I get.

I done it before. It started when I'd be layering delays to get a different kind of reverb effect. So i said let me layer everything and see what I get; i ended up layering every single 'special-effect' plugin I had just to see the outcome. None of my work really calls for it though so I don't do it much. I long for the day i get some different genre's of music so I can really go all out on a mix.

Ive only slightly touched on this, soinds like something i should really think about, especially with vocals. I suppose the principle isnt too different with EQ, you dont want all your effects taking place in the same frequency bands ir else youre muddying up your mix, keep some space between the elements and let people take it all in!

I must give this a go, cheers all

It's very rare that I layer reverbs. I use almost exclusively impulse verbs these days. Mostly 960, Bricasti, and a few springs and other special ones I've made. The only time I really use two reverbs on a track is because I want two different sounds, like a small room and then a plate... or some kind of special effect (like one verb on the left and a totally different one on the right), as opposed to doing it for "lushness" or "density". The 960 and Bricasti reverbs are plenty dense as is.... sometimes TOO dense.

I gotta admit that I was doing this sort of thing in the mid 80s with 16 track analogue tape and 1 reverb unit in the studio (university studio just starting out - we had to prove ourselves before we got a bigger budget and proper rooms).

So we would lay stuff down with individual reverb, small times, different decays and algorithms where we could.

Then come mix time we would put a master room reverb on the mix to bring all of the "individual little spaces in our room" into the same sonic space. I learnt a hell of a lot about reverb times, density to apply when recording and what to add after as a result of this. I don't even think about how to do it any more, just add what I need as I go and adjust parameters only if it is getting out of control, which is rarely.

But splitting them into different bands, I will now have to check this out.

I'm practically allergic to reverbs even though I have a pretty big convolution IR collection. But these techniques you guys are talking about should go a long way with tap tempo ping pong delays. I need to try these out. Parallel stuff is really easy to do in MultitrackStudio. You just load up a parallel effect module and stick your VSTs or other modules into that and stick the whole thing on an FX send.

I'm practically allergic to reverbs even though I have a pretty big convolution IR collection. But these techniques you guys are talking about should go a long way with tap tempo ping pong delays. I need to try these out. Parallel stuff is really easy to do in MultitrackStudio. You just load up a parallel effect module and stick your VSTs or other modules into that and stick the whole thing on an FX send.

I don't care for reverb too much either, I use more delays than anything. But this time I was very impressed with the way the reverb sounded, and there was only a piano, strings (3 different tracks that were layered), and an acoustic guitar that came in toward the end of the mix, so I had A LOT of space that I needed to fill, and also the reverb itself gave the track a VERY intimate feel.

I can't believe I've never tried this. I've layered reverbs many times before, but I never thought about using different decay times, and I never thought about splitting them up into 3 different ranges low, mid, and high. It was dense, but cleaner than just layering the verb without splitting them up like I did.

Yes, using rt or delay time is a great way to make things bigger or to move them up in the mix. Keep in mind that rooms and halls do not handle all frequencies the same. Generally speaking, higher frequencies fade out quicker than lower frequencies do. So it does make sense to let different verbs handle different frequencies. I like using most of my effects layered in small increments, but always with reverbs if I use them in a mix.

see this is the kind of dissicusion I like... but it would be nice as there where audio samples of before and after

and that's why I like Gearslutz.com on this kind of thing there usually some audio samples to listen to..

but it's all good most of the posters and the OP are always kicking knowledge so props to all on the thread..
good stuff folks

this could be a great video tutuorial too

see this is the kind of dissicusion I like... but it would be nice as there where audio samples of before and after

I wish I could post something up, but it's not as easy as most people think; to get the artist to agree to letting me post their material especially before it's released seems to be pretty difficult.

and that's why I like Gearslutz.com on this kind of thing there usually some audio samples to listen to..

but it's all good most of the posters and the OP are always kicking knowledge so props to all on the thread..
good stuff folks

this could be a great video tutuorial too

I've tried to do the whole video thing, but I couldn't record the audio into camtasia for some reason. I don't know much about video editing either, but if anybody knows how to record audio from pro tools into camtasia let me know, then I'll try doing videos again.

Back