How does Skrillex make music?

HireProducer

Dubstep is a genre of electronic dance music that originated in UK in the 1990s. Bringing it back to the EDM scene after almost a decade and with a bang, really appreciable right?

Yes, I am writing about Skrillex today, the American music producer, and DJ.

skrillex

His real name is Sonny John Moore. Skrillex was born in Los Angeles, California. Moore spent most of his early days in Northern California.

skrillex live

Skrillex was associated with 2 groups before going solo and forming Jack U with diplo.

He began with From First to Last, an American hardcore band based in Los Angeles. He was the lead vocalist,

537b3b_cca8aaa88f614e5986163c0c5023ab43~mv2.webp

Dog Blood, a side project by Skrillex and Boys Noize, was formed in 2012. After release on Beatport and iTunes and other music streaming platforms, it received huge attention and topped the charts.

Dog Blood, a side project by Skrillex

Jack Ü is a duo made up of Skrillex and Diplo.

Skrillex and Diplo.

Skrillex use FL Studio for producing music. Click to know on how to get started with FL Studio.

There are several other Digital Audio Workstations as well. Click to know about the best DAW's available in 2021

And this post will help you
set up a music production Studio, click here!

skrillex use FL Studio for production

Moore said he was first exposed to electronic dance music after attending Daft Punk's Coachella set.

daft punk coachella

He has won and has been nominated for several Grammy awards including one for "Bangarang" - my favourite.

skrillex - bangrang

Thanks for reading.

Suggested Read:
How can I make money being a music producer?

Last edited:

desbest

From what I read online from people in media circles, don't quote me on this because there's a lot of fake news about celebrities, but Skrillex as a music producer, he tends to have a "torrentially sporadic" approach to using synthesizers when doing sound design to create bass sounds, whereas compared to him most producers tend to have a "methodically intuitive" approach. The best analogy is that he would have a whirlwind or tornado inside his head with lots of items spinning around, you put your hand in then grab the closest or first thing you can touch.

He will spend 8-12 hours trying to create one bass sound without taking any breaks with an autistic level of focus. However because he's not as methodical as other producers, he cannot really break down his creative process as a lesson in the same way that other producers can that would be palatable and commoditised. And even if he tried to, something about the lesson would be off-key.

He does a lot of layering but in a subtle way. What seemingly sounds like one sound with 1-3 sounds stacked on top of each other, can actually be 50 sounds.