Giving Vocals more "Color"..

R

Roswell

Hey all --

I'm finding that, although im getting a nice, clean vocal sound ( using a Focusrite ISA 220 and a Neumann TLM103 ), i find its almost too clean in mixes....

Im wondering what are some good tips to adding some "color" and dirtyness to the vocals?

Thanks!

Try a different mic pre or a different mic. Usually some type of tube mic pre or microphone will give you some color.

if ur saying that the vocals are sounding a little loose becuz they are so crisp, u dont really need another mic

just give the vocals a slight reeverb that isnt too noticable unless it needs to be "that depends on the instrumental"

then EQ them and find out which parts of the vocals need to but "cut" and which parts of the vocals need a "boost"

i always give the lows a boost for males
and the highs a boost for females

then the main thing is to tamper with the mixer, "mixdown the instrumental and the vocals after you get the vocals EQ'd right", FIND A CHANNEL MIXER and set all figures to "50", this will give you a clean mix, never mix them fully or you will just make the track peak

I hope that helps, i had that same problem not too long ago.

sorry one ting

i always boost the "lows" in vocals
THEN.....
i boost the "highs" for females
and the "mids" for males

JagoJG said:
Try a different mic pre or a different mic. Usually some type of tube mic pre or microphone will give you some color.
Best advice, matter of fact I'll go even further: Neve 1073,1081,1290

Maybe it would be cheaper to use some of the tube simulating compressors, for example i use Waves RComp in the studio, really ads the warmth in the lomids.

We also have Bomb Factory L2A and 1176 the babies really make it smooth and fat...

Back