FL Studio Crashing when Opening some Projects

JC Biffro

Hi all,

Have a serious problem with FL Studio where there are some projects it simply won't open. When I try to open it, it'll load the project and the VSTs, and then hang, i.e. I can't click anywhere. Eventually, I have to close it via the device manager.

Anyone else have this issue and/or know how I can fix it please? It means I've lost a project I've spent a long time on as it no longer opens :( The project is only 609KB so it's not overloaded. Playing around with it more, it's possible one of the plugins has corrupted as it's struggling to load for some reason.

Cheers peeps.

edit - playing around with this more, I think it's the ibridge.exe that keeps crashing and this is what's preventing the whole project from opening

Last edited:
I have this problem sometimes with projects with the DSK vsts in them. try opening the project on a fresh restart of your computer, thats the only thing that would work for me then i would just delete the vst channels i thought were the problem before pressing play.

You need FL Extended Memory brotha. I try to just click on my FLP and it freezes up and shuts down. If you open FL Extended Memory then open your file from there you'll be set..

You need FL Extended Memory brotha. I try to just click on my FLP and it freezes up and shuts down. If you open FL Extended Memory then open your file from there you'll be set..

Just tried that, still crashes :(

Reinstalling fl fixed my problem, I suggest you try the same.

Uninstalled, re-downloaded and reinstalled (on a different external HD) and still have the same problem

What vst's are you using? I know some cause issues like this for me that's why I'm asking.

It seems to be Magnus Choir that's causes the problem. The thing is the trial version expired, so FL was tripping up over that. I deleted it, and now it hangs 'looking' for the VST. Is there anyway of removing a VST from a project without actually opening it?

Thanks everyone for your suggestions so far.

What are the specs of your computer? I've had problems with that sometimes too, as well as pro tools...are you using a lot of vst's and plugins? If you are make then them inactive and save it before you close it if your computer can't handle, then it won't load everything once you open it

When Fl is searching the magnus vst that you've un installed just press the Esc button at the top left of your keyboard and it will pretty much skip searching for it.
Also i used to have the same problem on my old pc and what I used to do is basically whichever vst gave me trouble I'd compose the melody or whatever and pretty much bounced it straight into the playlist as a Wav File named after the preset and vst so that if i decided to make any changes Id be able to just load up the vst etc

What are the specs of your computer? I've had problems with that sometimes too, as well as pro tools...are you using a lot of vst's and plugins? If you are make then them inactive and save it before you close it if your computer can't handle, then it won't load everything once you open it

Deffo not a computer issue. I'm using an i7 processor iMac, shit loads of RAM and I never use more than 4 plugins on a project (this project has Purity, Nexus & Magnus Choir). No sounds have been layered yet, so no multiple instances of the same plugin. I honestly have no ****ing idea what's going wrong. As I said above, I redownloaded and reinstalled (even on a completely diff harddrive) and it still freezes when opening 2 of my projects

When Fl is searching the magnus vst that you've un installed just press the Esc button at the top left of your keyboard and it will pretty much skip searching for it.
Also i used to have the same problem on my old pc and what I used to do is basically whichever vst gave me trouble I'd compose the melody or whatever and pretty much bounced it straight into the playlist as a Wav File named after the preset and vst so that if i decided to make any changes Id be able to just load up the vst etc

This doesn't work :( Remember I physically can't open the project to convert to a .wav file.

URGHHHHH

download ccleaner, do a registry scan then delete the old registry value. then reinstall magnus and see if the projects loads.

download ccleaner, do a registry scan then delete the old registry value. then reinstall magnus and see if the projects loads.

Thanks for the suggestion, just tried and this also failed.

---------- Post added at 11:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:15 PM ----------

Ok, after more digging, it doesn't seem to be a VST issue. I purchased Magnus Choir, so FL Studio managed to find it fine and move on. It's now loaded most of the project, but is now tripping over an acapella .wav file I used in the project.

Therefore, it seems that FL Studio crashes if it cannot find any of the data files from the project. Surely there has to be a workaround for this? :(

---------- Post added 10-26-2012 at 12:25 AM ---------- Previous post was 10-25-2012 at 11:09 PM ----------

Please see attached the uploaded video. The video demonstrates me loading the project, and trying to click around FL Studio with no response. I then switched to MS Word and tried to enter back into FL Studio, showing that it wouldn't reopen = frozen.

As you can see, there were 3 windows, one was the pianossim plug-in. After the video, I deleted that plugin (in case that was the issue) and reloaded the project. Instead of hanging looking for the Jay-Z acapella, it froze in the same manner looking for pianossism.

Please help. I've spent 50+ hours on that project :(

Last edited:
what happens when you start a blank project and add just a couple instruments or something... ? maybe you need an audio interface instead of a stock sound card (i know you said it isnt a computer problem, but i cant think of anything else from whats been suggested and tried...). Are any other programs running slower now than they used to ? I've had issues with corrupted FLPs as well, this might be a possibility. Try sending the project to someone else who has FL studio and see if they can open it.

I just had the same problem.

Try opening FL and changing the audio driver.. Then open your projects.

Worked for me

Freezing

Hey guys! :hello: I had problem with FL Studio as I tried to open a project yesterday and also I had problem today. So I searched for an answer and looked at some pages and so I came to this page. As I have recently bought Spire and some presets I thought that it might be the problem. But so I read this about the expanded memory, I think it is called FL Studio 64-bit for FL 12. Anyway I opened FL Studio 64-bit and then opened my last project and now it loads. But it says that my e-licenser doesn't work so Nexus2 cannot load. It also tells me to restart the computer and the "fruity wrapper", that is instead of the Nexus2, is telling me it won't load also. Earlier today I also had problem with some sounds for Nexus2, it said that it cannot load sound sample. So the problem might be any software that is connected to the e-licenser. I have also recently installed a Blue Yeti mic for FL Studio but I do not think that this is the problem as I've been using it several times. I will restart my computer now and see where it ends up.

Nexus2 Error.jpgNexus2 Error 2.jpgFL Error 1.jpg

EDIT* I have now restarted my computer and the project for some reason still hangs when I try to open it from the FLP-project BUT if I open the expanded memory version and load it from there it now loads perfectly. So thank you MrWonderful for the advice, it really helped me out here. I can also note that the shortcut I have for FLP is for the 64-bit so when I just try to double-click the FLP-file it might load up in the lower memory (32-bit) version and that might cause a freezing problem. Thank you guys for sharing your knowledge and I hope that I can help someone too. And never give up your dreams! If you want to listen to my music so here you go soundcloud and search for dj perryboy or watch this video on youtube JoAIggn6wq8

Last edited:
I'm not an FL user but I had an issue with Maschine's software a few months back... It turned out to be a Windows 7 security update that clashed with my anti-virus and led to Maschine not opening...
Check your windows download log and see if you can match an update to when FL started going hinkey. If you can match one... Reinstall that update.

Hi, I came here because I've struck the same problem as you.
Since I am several years behind on replying on this thread, I would like to tell you that I may have found a solution for your problem.

1. Open Fl (32-bit) or Fl (64-bit)
2. Make sure that you are in a fresh project.
3. Open your save file that crashes.

This worked for me, and I hope it helps for you.
PS. Does your project freeze when it tries to open Fruity limiter?

Try spamming f12 a bunch when you're first opening your project. It closes all of the open windows in FL. I find it helps if I have a million vst's and my computer is lagging out haha

I have the same problem. When I tried to open my track I've been working for a long, long, but VERY L O N G time, it loaded just the patterns, audio files, and it wasn't everything. In the playlist was totally nothing, so I tried to open it from the Backups and I chose the first in the menu. I think it's that one, because it was loading for a long time. But it was only loading. I wasn't completed. Nothing hapened. It crashed on loading my DirectWave preset, which I made in Serum. But I have Serum Demo, and I don't have enough money to buy full version, so I need to render the Serum presets to the DirectWave instrument. And it crashes on that DirectWave. I tried E V E R Y T H I N G from there, but nothing worked. Also when I tried to doubleclick the FLP file, it was showing the "How do you want to open this file?" menu. I selected FL Studio 20 (64-bit), but it was showing the same menus rapidly. I also don't have the FL Studio icon on the FLP. Why is it like this and how to fix my error? Thank you for help.

Last edited:
Back