EMU XL-1 (eXteme Lead)

Olly

Okay, here's my kitlist, in the order I aquired each piece:
Korg 01/Wfd Keybord
Korg NS5R Module
Samson PL1602 Mixer
FATAR Studio 1100 (88-Key MIDI controller keyb)
Oberhiem/Viscount MINIGrand Piano Module
EMU XL-1 eXtreme Lead Module

I have had the 01/Wfd since I was 14 (1992), which my parents bought for me. In the last 2 years I've bought everything else.

I have always used the sequencer in the Korg Keyboard for writing stuff, although I do have a computer with 2 MIDI outs but I prefer to use the keyboard for portability.

I'm a budding Trance/Techno artist, and a regular raver to some clubs and underground parties all over London UK.
Therefore I've been doing my best with the little gear I've got to produce some wicked Trance. I hope to get a sampler as my next bit of kit.

6 months ago I wrote a trck on the 01W sequencer using the NS5R for all percussion and the bassline and my own custom sounds from the 01W for everything else. You can hear it at http://www.mp3.com/oliverbell (by the way it's only there as an example - unlike everyone else I'm not desperate for your listens!). The result is quite good and I surprised myself. It was hurriedly put together so you may notice a few parts which could do with some tidying up! The tracks is about 7mins30secs.

There seems to be a lot of people on this site asking 'which is the best synth?'. Last month I bought the EMU XL-1 Module - and this not only happens to be the best synth in my kit list but I beleive it to be the best synth out there (value for money at UKP530, good sound quality and features). I have spent many days in Anderton's Music store in Guildford, Surrey, trying out everything there, and comparing specs. I was basicly looking for a module with filter sweeping knobs, heaps of Trance/Techno sounds, heaps of drum/percussion sounds to suit the genre and the scope for creating my own custom sounds on it. The XL-1 has it ALL!!! 64-note poly, 1 sound ROM expansion 2 analog outs and MIDI in/out/thru. There's a Turbo Expansion card available which will add SP/DIF outs, put the poly up to 128, 4 Analog outs, 1 extra ROM card slot and another MIDI in/out/thru.

This module is part of the EMU series (Virtuoso, Mo'phatt, Proteus etc). The spec is the same for all except the Virtuoso comes fully stuffed with all the expansion options.

I have written a new track the other day, just in 3 evenings, this time using ONLY sounds from the XL-1. Again I'm impressed with my new gear! I wrote it on my computer using a simple MIDI sequencer that came with my sound card (Voyetra MIDI Orchestrator). To set the sounds you only have to put in MIDI controller messages at the beginning of the track to set up the module.
To get the sweeping basslines and leads, I just recorded or 'clicked' a short pattern and pasted it across the track, then on a sepereate track (but on the same MIDI channel, recorded the filter sweeps by turning the knobs on the module.
The tracks is about 9mins20secs - I don't know how I filled up all that time! It's at 145bpm.

Any other XL-1 users who wish to hear the result - I could email you the MIDI file (or Voyetra .ORC file). Email me for it at olly_bell@hotmail.com
I don't really have the facilities to get it online as MP3 but I will try if I have the opportunity.

The track sounds quite pro, and I could imagine it being played at places like 'Escape From Samsara' @ The Fridge in London which is one of my Friday night hang-outs...and of course I dream of playing semi-live there on the stage someday. I also dream of forming a bit of a Trance/Techno band with keyboarders and electronic drummers to make it as live as possible...interested? ;)
(Inspired by seeing (and meeting some) live PAs from Astral Projection, Cosmosis, ManMadeMan, OOOD, Mindfield, 2012, Lab-4, Nu-Idol, SBL, The Secret, Electric Melon, and many others I was tripping out too much to remember!)

If I can write a pretty good 'raveable' bit of Techno/Trance/NU-NRG, using only one module - God knows what I could do with more gear!! It's all a matter of money...gotta keep earning the cash! :(

That my view on the XL-1 - IT'S FAB AS.
Reply if you dare with your insults about me getting so sucked in by the salesman (honestly I wasn't - I walked in and said 'I'll have that please!'). :)

I only hope this'll be a good reminder for those looking for new gear - don't overlook this totally rinsin mod! :P

Olly

PS - I think I've got enough gear to do a live PA and to put a demo tape together and send it to my various contacts. If you see a live act called KUDOS at a party it'll probably be me.

!! good post !!
yes, I really like those EMU modules. GREAT polyphony and latency time.

The virtuoso is VERY neat.
By the way. if you ever review equipment, email the text (word doc, or TXT file) to me at mclement@onlineDJ.com and I will publish them (featuring frontpage close-up and author showcasing!).

Take care, and see you around!

Back